Overninght near London

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Gollom, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Later in the year, we are going to France using the tunnel. Travelling from Preston and hate the journey with a passion so plan to stop off near London on a Friday and take in a show before using the tunnel on the Saturday. Where would be a good place to stop that still has a train service after the theatres kick out? Happy with budget hotel as it will only be a bed for the night

2. Dippo

Dippo Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E220 W213
    Gollom likes this.
  3. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    The hotels around the Excel centre do deals if there's nothing much on in the exhibition centre.

The early flights out of London City airport can be a bit alarming if your room is facing that way and has floor to ceiling glass though.

Gollom likes this.
  4. jmarkha1

jmarkha1 Active Member

Car:
    s212 e350 AvantGarde
    Try the Britannia international in Canary Wharf- bit run down but cheap on Thursday Friday and Saturday- rube to London city is about 10 minutes

Gollom likes this.
  5. rockits

rockits Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1999 SL500;2007 Maserati 4200;2005 Alfa GT 3.2 V6;LR FL2 SD4 HSE;XC90 V8;306GTi-6;TVR Chimaera
    I used to go there for beers after work 20 years ago when I worked at Trinity Mirror when there was nothing there except Britannia Hotel and a floating Chinese!

Gollom likes this.
  6. anglaslt

anglaslt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG based) and RHD E400 Coupe
    Not sure why the references to London City Airport. The OP's going through the tunnel.

If you want to avoid driving into London why not stop somewhere convenient on route. If you use M6, A14, M11 you could stop at one of the Stansted Airport hotels (Premier Inn I think) and use the National Express coach service to Victoria. It's much cheaper than Stansted Express train. I haven't checked timetables but I'd imagine they run quite late. The next morning you're straight on the M11, M25 across the Dartford Crossing and on your way to the tunnel.

Gollom likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    I think he was referring to the fact that if I chose to stay there then the flight path can be a little alarming!

Thanks for the info all

DrFeelgood likes this.
  8. anglaslt

anglaslt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    LHD Brabus B63S (CL63 AMG based) and RHD E400 Coupe
    Ah right, I misunderstood. It's getting late here :)