Overpriced Ebay Try avoid the sellers and call main dealer they are cheaper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dealerships have over the years caused the problem. Ordinary folk believe anybody is cheaper then them.
Thats because ordinary folk think dealer hourly rate and lump it with parts costs.

If you ever look at a bill from the dealer part cost is negligble. Its from labour and VAT.

Same with plumbers, electricians etc etc.

There are scammers and profiteers on ebay - well shock horror :eek:

'The Apple Shop' on Amazon UK (official Amazon, not-third party marketplace seller) sells brand new MacBook Pro laptops (14" with M1 Pro chip) for less than Apple do in their stores and online. We are Apple resells and buy direct from Apple with discount off RRP, and we still pay more than the same laptop costs on Amazon. For buyers, there's no substitute for research, and no excuse for not doing so given that we live in the age of phone and Internet.

I’ve always considered EBay to be an online car boot sale but cannot get behind pointless whining especially when 2 threads are started on the same subject.

On one hand, I do appreciate the OP's heads-up and warning to the community.

But on the other hand, the question that I would like to put to those who complain about eBay 'rip-offs', is if they were selling these parts on eBay themselves, would they have accepted less than what the parts might actually sell for, just because it's more fair doing it this way?

As we’ve said, a small number of MB main dealers offer discounted prices online.

Isn’t the more obvious complaint around why people, like us, pay higher prices from our local MB main dealer, when cheaper prices are available from Grangemouth and Newcastle?

But dare we say that, for fear that someone would stop them?

Attachments

• 45494ECB-3D83-4D1A-BF3D-5E23D5B8098E.png
    45494ECB-3D83-4D1A-BF3D-5E23D5B8098E.png
    394.6 KB · Views: 14
If Mercedes dealers operated online shops for parts then more people would buy from them. Whilst eBay and Amazon were seen to be places to pick up good deals and bargains, these days you may pay even more, but the benefit is convenience.

Today many people value to convenience of thinking of something, buying it a few moments later and it arriving the next day, and they’re prepared to pay for that I include myself in that - I really don’t like wasting money, but I value time and convenience more.
I can see the point of time and convenience.but ebay dont offer that,most will post woth the cheapest postage around to maximise there profits,in turn it takes days for your item to arrive
If only I could buy a new Rolex at list price, anything desirable is hard work at the moment including cars and builders.
Arent watches old fashioned,like wearing a tie, people just use there phones for the time these days

I’ve always considered EBay to be an online car boot sale but cannot get behind pointless whining especially when 2 threads are started on the same subject.
Ditto

On one hand, I do appreciate the OP's heads-up and warning to the community.

But on the other hand, the question that I would like to put to those who complain about eBay 'rip-offs', is if they were selling these parts on eBay themselves, would they have accepted less than what the parts might actually sell for, just because it's more fair doing it this way?
they are charging more for yrs old used parts than the main dealers new parts is the point,they all compare what others on ebay are advertising the part for and put that price up,not knowing themselves the true value of the used part,which is about half of a new part,hence they have them advertised forever and never sell,if I had a business/sebay shop,I would sell competitively at the going rate and make sales,not hoard stock for months on end hoping theres a silly Bassa out there going to click and buy my overpriced item :)

As we’ve said, a small number of MB main dealers offer discounted prices online.

Isn’t the more obvious complaint around why people, like us, pay higher prices from our local MB main dealer, when cheaper prices are available from Grangemouth and Newcastle?

But dare we say that, for fear that someone would stop them?
It dont really matter wether its gmouth or newcastle for mb parts,they all order off the same system/Mb supplier,ive had cheaper prices from ayr or edinburgh on things,a few pounds diff not much though,but I am surprised at how reasonable the prices are if your comparing to those robbing bassas on ebay, they dont realise they are pushing there customers onto the main delaers and they are finding out they are actually cheaper lol

I can see the point of time and convenience.but ebay dont offer that,most will post woth the cheapest postage around to maximise there profits,in turn it takes days for your item to arrive

Arent watches old fashioned,like wearing a tie, people just use there phones for the time these days
Havn't worn a watch for many years :)

It dont really matter wether its gmouth or newcastle for mb parts,they all order off the same system/Mb supplier,ive had cheaper prices from ayr or edinburgh on things,a few pounds diff not much though,but I am surprised at how reasonable the prices are if your comparing to those robbing bassas on ebay, they dont realise they are pushing there customers onto the main delaers and they are finding out they are actually cheaper lol

As I said, why are local MB dealers making larger profits by charging their local customers more than the MB dealers in “obscure” places like Grangemouth or Newcastle ?

D5B51F54-FF18-46DF-A0EA-07FFB59E27F4.png

Who the hell knows. Maybe Grangemouth and the like buy in bulk or the dealer is on good terms (with MB) or they are seen as a national distributor or they scaled their entire parts dept back to be an online seller with lower overheads.

I always ask my local dealer for discount and get it.

Who the hell knows. Maybe Grangemouth and the like buy in bulk or the dealer is on good terms (with MB) or they are seen as a national distributor or they scaled their entire parts dept back to be an online seller with lower overheads.

I always ask my local dealer for discount and get it.
They’re just giving away some of their margin to achieve a greater volume of sales.

There will always be mugs, and what some may consider greedy people who prey on them, and others may consider simply businesspeople. Every business wants to sell its product for as much as it can. It's the way of things, and it will never change.

I find Ebay very useful to find out what 'the going rate' is for a part in a few seconds, then I take it from there; I usually call my local dealer to see how much they charge, too. The breakers in the Baltics generally offer the best prices, but delivery can be slow.

Some parts dealers can be rip-off merchants.
So can some some ebay sellers.
No surprises there.
That's what these Forums are for .... To help MB owners with a common interest in MB vehicles.
Again - That's why we're all here - - - Statement of the bleeding obvious.

In the past, I've had shocking parts service from MB Bradford.
In more recent years, I've had excellent service and prices from MB of Oxford and MB Newcastle.
[MB of Oxford stopped doing mail order - I'm not sure if that's still the case]
Regarding ebay sellers of second hand parts - Just do your research - If you have the time

In the past, I've had shocking parts service from MB Bradford.
In more recent years, I've had excellent service and prices from MB of Oxford and MB Newcastle.
[MB of Oxford stopped doing mail order - I'm not sure if that's still the case]
Regarding ebay sellers of second hand parts - Just do your research - If you have the time
Golden

It used to be a case of cheap used parts from ebay as apposssed to main dealer prices, things have changed

Dont know if anyone has noticed but they ask more for used parts than new OEM parts from main dealers,it seems to be all overpriced business these days unlike the wee man in the streets posting a bargain at auction,

Example; front crash bar from mercedes 205 is £114, Ebay sellers are asking £180-290, I confronted a few of the sellers and they say "I put a price up and there is daft lazy people who just click and buy without checking with main dealers first?"
Hence all prices on ebay are sky high and over priced
Please check main Dealer before purchasing is my advice, you could save a fortune and be surprised how cheap they are in comparison to ebay supposedly bargains AVOID AVOID AVOID theres No bargains anymore
For someone not in the know like myself.... That's really useful, thanks for taking the time to post

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom