Overseas work- pay percentage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash59fifty-uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
C204 C63, VW Transporter
Anyone have any information on working overseas?

Scenario: IHM Surveys on vessels above 500 tonnes and oil rigs, wether static, live, towed on way to decommission, docked etc

Our company says there's a certain percentage of our wage paid extra that is higher but depending on which country we are working in...

Is this a company or a general thing? Only reason for asking is that I know my lot are somewhat sneaky sometimes... Little things, like personal mileage price per mile on our work vehicles, 10p p/m for a VW caddy and 12p p/m for a VW Transporter which someone noticed was the correct prices and called them out on it, previous to that it was like 16p or something so they had to change it to the correct price and tried to fib about it, which I won't go into

This profession will be new to me so I'm just making sure the rates are what they should be, any info much appreciated :thumb:

Yep, pretty common to have different rates per country.

Only time I have heard of a flat system is the tax Shell take out of your pay packet as an employee working overseas - it is often a flat rate irrespective of what Country you are working in, sometimes you win sometimes you lose...

WDB124066 said:
Yep, pretty common to have different rates per country

Is there a website which has standard rates for each country? I'm not even sure of the proper name for it but it is regularly talked about amongst us, just nobody has looked it up/challenged it yet

International tax is a very complex matter, so most (if not all) international companies use accountants like KPMG/Price Waterhouse, etc to handle this for them. These accountants will have all the tax tables to make adjustments so that you will not lose out tax wise - this means that if you go to a cheaper tax country like Hong Kong, you will not gain either - it is a bummer.

However, to make working overseas attractive, the companies usually pay an additional allowance for living overseas so that you can continue to run your UK household on your UK salary, plus an adjustment for a local allowance to run a second household in the foreign country you are living in. That adjustment will be based on the standard of living in the foreign country. But get this, despite getting two lots of salaries, you should still pay the same tax as you currently do because your company should "equalize" the tax for you.

This is how my overseas package was constructed by the accountants when I was considering an overseas assignment in Beijing a few years ago on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom