Overtaken on the M40

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

This is Pete

Car
E350 CDI Sport Estate, Porsche 911 CS4
This morning while I was taking my weekly run up the M40, as usual not in a particularly fuel efficient rate.

Anyway, I had to slow down a little to get past a gaggle of slowly overtaking cars when I happen to notice a black XFR in the rear view mirror; amazing how sinister those bonnet vents look on black.

So, the lane eventually cleared in front of me, so I put the hammer down to get safely past the slowards and pull into the middle lane doing about <coughty> mph.

The Jag passed me, I think doing 120 or so as he past and just carried on accelerating.

And the sound of that thing going at full chat. Wonderful, those Jag engineers have done wonders.

And no, I didn't even attempt to chase him, I'm not that daft.

To be honest iv always been a big fan of the XJR, as a matter of fct one of the cars in my oprions list before i bought my S55 was actually an XJR, but the XFR is just much more amazing its unbelievable. Truly one to get in a few years time.

Agreed - and there's talk of an XF estate which would have me thinking.

Jags are good cars with great engineering, I used to have a company jag a few years ago and then I got a BMW and that was one of the biggest regrets of my life!

Back to a Jag maybe next time............just have to see.

Last year (about September time) i went to Santa Pod for a meet organised over on the Jag forums, where i potentially wanted to see some of the XJR's in the flesh and pick the brains of some of the owners. I must say a very very friendly bunch who convinced me that the XJR was the way forward. Great build quality, great engineering, exclusivity, that addictive noise of the supercharger etc etc. When i left i was pretty convinced i was going to buy one, then about a week later i took a small ride in an AMG and that sound was, well . . . . . the rest is history.

But the funny thing is that during the drag runs all the Jags came about in one place, and one of the stewards was overheard saying to another "well these boys will definitely have the most comfortable runs of the day". Im pretty sure they did to be honest.

Agreed - and there's talk of an XF estate which would have me thinking.

Yes, I read about that a few months ago. From the spy shots I saw, it didn't look all that practical; the tailgate sill was pretty narrow.

If I was in the market for a saloon, then the XFS would be a no-brainer for me.

I just can't handle the new 'diagonal' Jaguar badge - looks completely wrong to me!

An XF would be on my list if I didn't need an estate.

Estate is due this Autumn, the dealers reckon. My name is on the list....:)

The Jag passed me, I think doing 120 or so as he past and just carried on accelerating.

What occurs to me is...why is it that a person who must love fantastic cars like the XFR, drive so stupidly that he will soon surely be taken off the road? :dk:

I didn't say anything at all to indicate the guy was driving irresponsibly.

I see from today's news that Tata Group who own Jaguar and Land Rover are going to open an assembly plant for these vehicles in China.

I expect in a few years most of the production will be in China with R&D in the UK. Shame.

I'm not going to get into a debate here about high speed driving (that wasn't my intent for the thread), but at this time of the morning, the M40 is typically busy in bunches. There are stretches where you get a clear motorway for about half a mile or so in a straight line.

Having a stretch of a three lane motorway in dry conditions, well lit, good view of the surroundings, and with a well maintained high performance car, high speed driving is relatively safe.

Highly illegal if caught, yes.

But I'm not here to judge, condemn, or condone said activity.

I am usually on the M40 between J6 and J8 around 7.30am and traffic is light enough for drivers to press on if they want to. I imagine further North it is even quieter.

I see from today's news that Tata Group who own Jaguar and Land Rover are going to open an assembly plant for these vehicles in China.

I expect in a few years most of the production will be in China with R&D in the UK. Shame.

It'll be to avoid massive Chinese import taxes. You'll find Audi, MB, BMW, VW etc all build vehicles over there already.

Thats where they are going to build the Cha-Tata Jagua.
why is this page so long?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom