Own up - who left this on my Jaguar?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was stuck between the E350 estate and the XF-R estate. I wanted more space to my A4 Avant, but in the end it had to be the E. The XF felt like an A6 with an A4 interior, whereas the E exceeded all my expectations.

I must admit though, the last time I had a car with rattles was pre-Audi. Although both my A4's were unreliable, particularly the latest version, the interior was well built.

The E is driving me nuts. I've got a rattle somewhere in the back and one around the instrument cluster.

The E is driving me nuts. I've got a rattle somewhere in the back and one around the instrument cluster.

The only thing that rattles in my CLS is me. :thumb:

Mind you, my ice scraper which I store in the rear passenger footwell sometimes slides around, hitting the air conditioning vent. I wondered what it was when I first heard it, until it suddenly clicked.

I've had pens in the glove box or door bins rattling, and things slide about in the boot. The noise is always annoying until you locate the source, then it becomes a mild nuisance.

TheFoX said:
The only thing that rattles in my CLS is me. :thumb: Mind you, my ice scraper which I store in the rear passenger footwell sometimes slides around, hitting the air conditioning vent. I wondered what it was when I first heard it, until it suddenly clicked. I've had pens in the glove box or door bins rattling, and things slide about in the boot. The noise is always annoying until you locate the source, then it becomes a mild nuisance.

The CLS was also on my list, but I filled it out pretty quickly because of the shape of the boot. Lovely looking car though.

The perpetrator of the original note leaving turned out to be Tony, my retired village policeman neighbour. It's nice to have someone with a sense of humour and on my wavelength next door, even if he then checked the wind direction as he left me to cleaning the XJR and suggesting loudly it was the right direction for ash from his woodburner if he lit it.

A good clean reveals that the paint needs a clay and a good machine polish, but I'm ducking that for some time as it's such a big car. I like cleaning cars thoroughly when I first take possession, as you find out where all the bodies are buried, and apart from a spot of rust on the top of the nearside front door where the two rubbers meet, and evidence of extensive use of car washes (just don't), it is pretty immaculate.

It also has no rattles at all, but the offside front door speaker does distort a little when over-boosted music is played. I'm shocked, the car's only 19 years old...

Oh, and returning from picking up my chinese takeaway I got stuck behind a selfish, slow moving, Skoda. First clear stretch of road, switched to sport mode on the gearbox in anticipation, floored throttle and reminded of what a supercharged six can do. It was most satisfying.

Last edited:
A much nicer day than I was expecting and my cold seems to be receding (plus I had a better night's sleep) so out with the machine polisher. No chance of doing all the car in one go, so the photos show the bits that have been done...

The quality of Jaguar paint is excellent, but it needed a good machine. The bootlid after cleaning but before machining. Lots of swirls and loss of shine.

Jagboot_zpspmtdvozf.jpg

After a good go with Menzerna 400 on a Menzerna cutting pad. Result, much better!

Jagboot2_zps9ebbgkfa.jpg

The car has been through a car wash too many times and the area immediately below the rear window (too much pressure?) is beyond polishing out. It's intact but scored. This was polished three times, it's way better than it was but never use a car wash folks!

Jagboot3_zpsdurlrict.jpg

Exterior sparkles in the sun, it's a beautiful colour

Jagout1_zps4w4kp8xu.jpg

Jagout3_zpsxspqazgd.jpg

Jagout4_zpslqzkmvux.jpg

Interior is lovely. Not sure of the wood but it's a very deep brown.

Jagint1_zpsw8pnml5o.jpg

Jagint2_zpsd1rnxvxk.jpg

Jagint3_zpsuyvhwmev.jpg

Jagint4_zpsvqmaobad.jpg

Engine is very very long

Jageng1_zpssk1quyby.jpg

Jageng2_zps2it6dpds.jpg

I'm pretty sure I was looking at that one on Autotrader the other day - it's a great colour.

There's a tatty one in the same colour on Autotrader and a better one on Ebay. Mine was taken down from Autotrader about the 4th October, certainly the original photo I was using was from that ad.

There's a tatty one in the same colour on Autotrader and a better one on Ebay. Mine was taken down from Autotrader about the 4th October, certainly the original photo I was using was from that ad.

Hmm - probably wasn't then but the plate seems familiar. I was also looking on Car and Classic - which has links to eBay listings - was your one on eBay at all?

I seem to remember that colour in the sunshine but with the newer XJ8 3.2 Sport wheels I see (not the Celtics) and the red XJR6 on the engine but was only 2 nights ago I was looking so probably wasn't your one.

Maybe I'm just muddling up all the ones I saw!

When I considered an XJ8 / XJR in 2003/2004 - I was looking at black and Oatmeal leather.

Congratulations, Charles. She scrubs up beautifully!

That AJ16 lump is a great workhorse and very smooth. Never seen a smoky one either.

Our old X300 was a 3.2 Sport in Sapphire with Charcoal upholstery. The wooden wheel was a revelation. Very tactile, very shiny, but gripped your hand however hot or cold you were - never sweaty/slippy. No idea how they achieve that.

Yes the footwells are rather cramped, your legs seem to slot into a large volume of hardware, if you know what I mean, but everything else is a revelation. The handling/roadholding versus cosseting comfort paradox is exceptionally well resolved in these cars, even by today's standards.

The car has been through a car wash too many times and the area immediately below the rear window (too much pressure?) is beyond polishing out. It's intact but scored. This was polished three times, it's way better than it was but never use a car wash folks!

Jagboot3_zpsdurlrict.jpg
That looks more like the paint has sunk after a (less than stellar) repair and repainting :dk:

Nice car though, Charles :thumb:

That looks more like the paint has sunk after a (less than stellar) repair and repainting :dk:

Nice car though, Charles :thumb:

Agree with that. Looks like the primer/stopper has not been allowed to dry properly before blocking.

Lovely colour all the same Charles. :thumb:

Why is it that I6 engines, of whatever marque, always get lauded for being unburstable?

Hadn't thought of that, if so, it is one of the worst bits of paint repair I've seen. Anyway the car is now filthy as I drove it up to Prescott Hill Climb for a breakfast meet and then back again. Antigua blue is not quite so exotic when covered in muddy spray.

Love it Charles, looks a very similar colour to what is now known as Kyanite Blue:

Treated her to some rear ARBs and a new set of Dunlops, as the P Zeros were not comfortable and gave me no confidence in the wet. Car now rides and handles so much better.

Redline at 5 and a half.. not a diesel is it Charles? :p

Cheers,

Gaz

Ho Ho, no diesel I know howls like this big cat...

Quick update, loving the car but it has been stalling intermittently when out of cold start / warm up idling and before getting up to normal operating temperatures. Having spent so long setting up the idle on my W114 I instantly thought the Idle Control Valve isn't opening quickly enough or not fully, so booked it into good old Love Green garage just a 200 yard walk away and they confirmed just now it is indeed starting to get beyond it (and all gunked up like the throttle body).

As I had to use the Volvo today while the XKR was in the garage, I suddenly realised how brilliantly the Jaguar drove and rode and handled in comparison (fuel consumption a slightly different matter). When it comes to seat comfort the Volvo is great but in all other respects the Jaguar is just pure silken comfort and responsiveness. It's great to get into something different and notice the contrast.

I am assuming that if it gets really sick? you will abide by the number plate and Not Resuscitate ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom