Owners of W211 - what colour is your AC light when on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-class

Car
MB
Hi All

Owner of a 08 (facelift) W211, got a bit of confusion, when my climate control is on auto the AC light is lit red solid, when turned on or off it seems fine, no flashing lights etc.

There seems to be a bit of conflicting information whether the red light is normal, I've checked my owners manual and it just says when light is lit it shows the AC is on, it doenst say however what colour the light should be...

I took it into a dealer who advised it needs a regas, however weather has not been hot enough so I can test myself.

Questions:

1. Does your AC light also stay lit up red?
  2. Is there any way to verify whether my AC system needs any work? been quoted by MB £80 for refill but dont want to carry this out if it does not need it done.
Advice appreciated :)

Hi There.... I share your confusion! I have a W211 and when the red light is on, the aircon is ON. However in our Viano, when the red light is on the aircon is OFF. It was the same in my W208 & W209 x 2.......got to love the German version of 'clarity'.....(!)

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

Red is on. No colour when off.

Does your AC work?

Has it been re-gassed every two years? That is the recommended interval.

£80 is a bit steep. I charge £48 usually.

Thanks guys, so sounds like the red light on is normal, dealer told me red light means AC is not working! this is what I find frustrating about MB dealers, get different answers from different dealers.

I dont believe it has been regassed however I owned previous car for 5 years which never had it done either and it was still perfect in summer.

Because of above not sure if I need it done now, if it does need doing does the light flash or any other signs? if not I may just have to test it when we finally have a hot enough day.

If it flashes, there is an AC fault.

I would still get it serviced every two years. It will save you ££ in the long run.

Red light on AC is off

But .........

Might depend on the type of climate control unit you have digital or normal.

Last edited:
Orange to me but I'm colour blind.
Man Utd play in Orange, the same colour as EasyJet.

I think the confusion is there because on older models the Econ button showing economy mode ie aircon off would be confirmed with the light on. On the above model when the A/C light is on then it is showing the aircon is on.

Econ button on W211 ?

I don't recall seeing one anyways.

:)

Don't think bob means w211 when he says old models. My 56 plate w211 lights red when on as far as I know. Set it at 18ish and press auto on a warm day light on! On my 99 plate w202 press EC button it lights red and aircon off. EC means economy as far as I know.

Econ button on W211 ?

I don't recall seeing one anyways.

I should have stated that older models (pre-W211) like my W210 have an Econ button. Looking at your pic, it has been renamed A/C off so it would make sense that the light on means A/C is off so yes you are correct.

I would also agree that different units (climate etc) could be different just to makes things difficult!

OK
Face lift W211
Red light on means AC is on
Pre - Face lift W211
Red light on means AC is off

Sorry if I confused anyone,
I just drove a 2008 W211 on road test and its as clear as mud now !!!

Last edited:
OK
Face lift W211
Red light on means AC is on
Pre - Face lift W211
Red light on means AC is off

Sorry to burst your bubble or add to the confusion, but my PRE-facelift 211 has the red light ON to indicate A/C ON. My previous facelift 211 was the same, but my earlier 210 had the EC button, so red light meant A/C off.

My 2004 W211 clearly says AC off on the button on dash and when light is illuminated the AC is off

From the manual:

Deactivating

You can switch off the cooling function. The air in the vehicle will not be cooled of dehumidified

Press the ACoff button
The indicator lamp in the button comes on.

Hmm, when I press on Auto in the climate control the red light on the AC button gets lit, if I click on the AC button the red light goes off which I assumed meant AC has been turned off...

S-class said:
Hmm, when I press on Auto in the climate control the red light on the AC button gets lit, if I click on the AC button the red light goes off which I assumed meant AC has been turned off...

Really weird....I'd expect to see some 'brand continuity' on things like this, but it changes from model to model.... Makes you think they let the work-experience kid do this on a Friday afternoon....

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

The air comes out colder when the red light is on.

Other than that I don't see much point in further jibber-jabber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom