Owning a CL500...................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigbobs cl

Had my CL for a couple of months now so thought i`d post my opinions and bit of a review on it, may be usefull to any potential buyers!

My last car was a Nissan Skyline GTR33, bought as totally standard and a UK car (there were only 100 official UK ones). After about 6 months i wanted more power so had it booked in to be taken upto 550BHP. This was going to take 6 months or so (not known for their speed tuning companys!!) had a look round for something to run round in while it was in and picked up a `98 E55 AMG cheap.
This car got me hooked on the MB marque, luxury, power and looks!

Skyline came back as a monster, nothing could touch it off the mark or top end (circa 185mph) but with a triple plate clutch was going to be more of a toy than an every day car so found myself getting more attatched to the E55.

12 months passed and decided the Skyline was to go, 9mpg steady driving and 3mpg driving it in anger along with the clutch made it an expensive car for a toy. So the search was now on for a replacement for the Skyline and the E55 but was going to be a Mercedes!!

Didn`t take long before i spotted my next car, an 03 CL500 in Emerald Black!! Fell in love when i saw it and knew it would be mine.

Eventually did the deal and got the car, Skyline and E55 traded in for a swap!

The car is truly stunning, i thought i would miss the power of my last cars but with "only" 300 or so BHP the CL feels just as quick as the 380 the E55 had, feels much smoother even on the 19" wheels that the previous owner fitted. Pulls away with the distinctive V8 roar (cats have been removed for more grunt!) but almost silent with no wind or road noise at cruising speed.
All the controls are easy to opperate although the steering wheel controls do take some getting used to! The only thing that would be usefull (may be there but i can`t find it yet!) would be the ability to change discs on the CD Changer, aswell as track up and down.

For compfort, there is no question it is the most compfortable car i have ever owned, the seats seem to hug you in without making you feel closed in. I had a back injury a few years ago and find it difficult to sit in one position for more than 20 mins without discompfort, not in the CL, its like sitting on the sofa at home, better infact!

Night driving really changes the car altogether, the dash lights and door controls make you feel like being in a plane cockpit it really is stunning, along with the ambient footwell lights and downlight from the rear view mirror you feel enclosed in your own little space, a feeling of safety and warmth that is hard to describe!!

Motorway driving is an absolute pleasure, cruise control set at 80, rpm on tickover at 2000 and not a sound from the outside world thanks to double glazing. Add a fuel consumption of 28.5 mpg at cruising speed and some good music through the Bose system, i could drive forever in this car.

Fair enough at normal round town driving a return of 13mpg isn`t great but the head turning and grunt make up for that! The sound and the torque delivered soon take your mind of fuel and you just sit back with a grin like a Cheshire Cat!!

To sum the car up, it`s a stunning looking V8 power machine, plenty of power when you need it and silent cruising on a motorway with compfort to match any sofa in the land. By far the best car i have owned and will be staying with the MB marque for quite some time. Only covered some 500 miles so far but no going back to anything else now!!

Thanks

Bob

merc2.jpg

Last edited:
I have always fancied one of these, the ultimate Grand Tourer. They are just too long to go in my garage!!!

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up.

Yes the one that will replace the C43 will be a CL55 Kompressor.

I did not know that these were double glazed. I thought that the W140 was the only double glazed S class?

Great review. :rock:

Glad to hear that you enjoy the car.

I did not know that these were double glazed. I thought that the W140 was the only double glazed S class?

The W221 has double glasziing,it's not as obvious as the 140.

Great car and I concur with everything you've said. My only conundrum is what the hell can I replace it with when the time comes?

You change discs by punching the appropriate number on the keypad.

nice car Bob.

i have been looking for one previously, i prefer your shape to the new one, though the newest one in AMG guise is very much black panther like..

You model is i think a classier look too.

Enjoy the car.. they can last a life time. (well one hopes)

Love the Cls'

There a silver one pottering around Chester TOI number plate (you may have seen it?)

Look great. Think its a classy shape and some great buys. If I didn't need car that could tow / 4 doors I could be well tempted.

car looks fantastic
are the front tints legal ??

Love the Cls'

There a silver one pottering around Chester TOI number plate (you may have seen it?)

Look great. Think its a classy shape and some great buys. If I didn't need car that could tow / 4 doors I could be well tempted.

Think it lives in Saughall that one!

big bobs

Do you do car stereo installs? if so I with PM you if you don't mind?

thanks

See you have spotted the silver one :) cool

I missed this write up when first posted, so thanks Bob.
Still not sure whether to go for the CL55AMG or not, but would guess the resale value in two or three years may be better.
Is there really a lot of difference between the 500 and the 55 (non Kompressor)?
With second hand prices still in freefall, I can wait a few months anyway:D

Sounds a great car. I have been keeping my eye on these, especially the prices of the CL55 AMG's :D

Mine has double glass with a plastic between them, I don't know if this would be classed as toughened class or what.

Alan

You have the car for a couple of months & only driven 500 miles, why ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom