P & A Motor Vehicles – Sunderland, Tyne & Wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pitts Pilot

Car
SL63 AMG 6.3, VW Tiguan 2.0
Has anyone had dealings with this particular car dealer?

I thought I should post a note of my experience of these dodgy guys.

I was going to buy a SL350 from them, but as they were in Sunderland, and I was in London, I had the car inspected by the RAC before I actually saw it. No point of travelling up to Sunderland if it’s a ‘non-starter’ I reasoned.

Well, to cut a long and unhappy storey short, P & A demanded a £300 ‘holding deposit’, whilst I organised the car inspection and booked my train fare. I gave them this.

The vehicle was described as in “Mint” condition in Autotrader and with one previous owner; details I checked with Peter, the co-owner, during my very first telephone call to them.

A few days later I spoke to the RAC Inspector who said the car had paint scratches on it, “Light impact damage” at the rear, and some scratches on the wheels :eek:.
He also said the paperwork showed 2 previous owners!

So I immediately phoned P & A and spoke to the other co-owner, Alan. I said that I no longer wanted to buy the vehicle because it was misrepresented by their advert and Peter’s description. Besides, I was after something that really was in ‘mint’ condition.

He replied “If you want a mint condition car, you should buy a bl@@dy new one”. And “NO”, I couldn’t have my £300 back. :mad:

After further fruitless discourse, I am currently taking them to the Small Claims Court.

I was naive to an extent to hand over the holding deposit, as one risks getting bitten by sharks when one buys a used car.

I suggest you avoid them like the plague :)

Did you pay by credit car, if so contact the provider and ask for your money back.

Why does anyone pay a deposit on a used car they haven't seen?
Good luck and I'm sure you'll get it back eventually but seriously, why?....

I trust you tried threatening them with trading standards for a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act?

Good luck and I'm sure you'll get it back eventually but seriously, why?....

I have. Like the OP I was looking for a particular car with a specific spec of which there weren't thousands of used examples and I finally located one at a dealer a couple of hour's drive away. So, I paid a deposit over the phone so that they wouldn't flog it to anyone else whilst I organised getting over to see it.

Having said that, I did a) make sure I used a Credit Card to get max protection and b) make sure I had in writing that the deposit was 100% refundable if I didn't want it for any reason. It was also a branded main dealer rather than a one (or two)- man-band.

I notice they take the majority of their photos in the car park of the Stadium of Light.

Their actual location is somewhat less photogenic.

We walk past their premises on the way to the football and have often commented about the decent looking stock they carry.

Never ventured in to have a closer look unfortunately.

Although slightly different, MB Approved Used programme works by you giving a card deposit prior to them bringing the car to you for an inspection/test drive (150 miles in one case).

It shows the dealer you are serious.

However, the strict agreement is that if it's not what you want they will refund it.

I've had two brought to me over the years, one of which I ended up buying, whilst sending the other back and getting a full deposit refund.

I trust you tried threatening them with trading standards for a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act?
Yes, I did, but these two jokers just laugh at you. So you have to follow through on your threat.

That is not a problem in itself, but it would be a fight each step of the way.

I've send off the paperwork to the Small Claims, together with a copy of the RAC report that described the condition of the car.

Lesson learnt the hard way, although I may still get a result :eek:

Incidentally, I'm amused to see that the car is still for sale on Autotrader. Listed as "awaiting preparation". Sounds like they just got it.... no surprises there :rolleyes:

As long as you kept the advert that says one owner then you should win.

I wouldn't even give a holding deposit to MB unless it was an almost new car and we'd already negotiated the price. How can you negotiate when you've effectively already bought it?

I wouldn't even give a holding deposit to MB unless it was an almost new car and we'd already negotiated the price. How can you negotiate when you've effectively already bought it?

The negotiations can begin once you've approved the car as it's the salesman that brings it to you.
It's a straighforward process that the dealer seems happy with because it's their idea.

Worked for me in both instances.

You're on the back foot if the garage already has some of your money.
Much better to negotiate if the salesman knows you can just walk away.

I sent a copy of the original advert stating the car was in "mint condition", and also the revised advert they published later on Autotrader down grading it to "superb condition" and stating 2 previous owners!

The court should be able to see that even the dealer revised his description after dealing with me :D

Fingers crossed. These things are very difficult to predict the outcome :rolleyes:
But my main theme is misrepresentation. I think I have shown this clearly enough, and in Law that is a solid defence.

We will see in a few months. I'll post the result when I get it, for future reference.

Don't forget to include a suitable amount for your time and trouble in bringing this action.

have you talked to trading standards at Sunderland Council and see what complaints they have had about them.

You can get them on 0191 520 5555

gh3382

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom