P&O Ferries staff have been made redundant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whether maritime law allows it or not, I can imagine there being a reduction in future traffic by both individuals and businesses.

I wonder if the increase in fuel duty is what put this whole scenario into play?

I wonder if the increase in fuel duty is what put this whole scenario into play?
Not for ship propulsion fuel.

Judging by the actions P&O took, they'd been planning this for months.

Whether maritime law allows it or not, I can imagine there being a reduction in future traffic by both individuals and businesses.
Unless P&O offer worthwhile cheaper prices, and then just like the faceless bean counters mentioned above not caring about others, people will quickly forget about their principles if a cheaper crossing is on offer.

Do you really think that by paying staff sweet FA the crossing will be any cheaper??
I have no idea nor pretend to have any idea what will happen to P&O crossing prices!! And I'm not suggesting any movement up, down, or otherwise on the pricing.

What I am hypothesising based on observations of macro societal behaviour, is that if the price is dropped sufficiently (which I dare say low tens of ££ would be enough) then many people will quickly forget any pretentious of moral consumer choice, and take a cheaper crossing when push comes to shove.

Am I to take from your comment that you disagree with this hypothesis, or are you making a prediction about P&O crossing prices?

I have no idea nor pretend to have any idea what will happen to P&O crossing prices!! And I'm not suggesting any movement up, down, or otherwise on the pricing.

What I am hypothesising based on observations of macro societal behaviour, is that if the price is dropped sufficiently (which I dare say low tens of ££ would be enough) then many people will quickly forget any pretentious of moral consumer choice, and take a cheaper crossing when push comes to shove.

Am I to take from your comment that you disagree with this hypothesis, or are you making a prediction about P&O crossing prices?
I’m making a prediction that prices will be the same. Too be honest, if P&O are paying their staff as little as the tabloids are making out then I think they will put their prices up.

I’m making a prediction that prices will be the same. Too be honest, if P&O are paying their staff as little as the tabloids are making out then I think they will put their prices up.
😄 I hadn't even thought about that, but in second thoughts, you could be right. I doesn't look like they are focusing on customer populism at the moment!

They need to charge the same or more to be profitable, even with lower staff costs. So it will be higher prices for customers, it's business ...

The RMT are saying a lot at the moment but they don’t appear to be doing much.
What can they do except make a lot of meaningless noise. If it is correct that the staff were hired under a Jersey contract P&O have done nothing illegal and the staff are stuffed. Morally reprehensible though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom