P&O Ferries staff have been made redundant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What can they do except make a lot of meaningless noise. If it is correct that the staff were hired under a Jersey contract P&O have done nothing illegal and the staff are stuffed. Morally reprehensible though.
Definitely morally reprehensible but if the staff were hired under a Jersey contract then wtf has it got to do with the RMT??

If they’ve taken the subs of the staff then they need to represent them.

If they’ve taken the subs of the staff knowing that they cannot represent them because the staff are working under a Jersey contract then the aptly named Mick Cash has some explaining to do.

Reactions: JHS
Do you think that £1.81 per hour will attract

a) the best candidates?
b) people with a strong safety culture who will call out shortfalls?
c) people with the best communication skills to pass on safety briefings?
d) people with the communication skills to explain, direct and control all normal and abnormal situations?

Because every time you travel on a P & O ferry you are placing your, (and maybe your childrens) life in their hands.

You know prices won’t drop, but you can be assured that profits will rise.
The holding companies profits will jump from their current £400million.

Vote with your feet.
Let P&O hear your feedback - Twitter etc!
Tell your MP you find it unacceptable

Do you think that £1.81 per hour will attract

a) the best candidates?
b) people with a strong safety culture who will call out shortfalls?
c) people with the best communication skills to pass on safety briefings?
d) people with the communication skills to explain, direct and control all normal and abnormal situations?

Because every time you travel on a P & O ferry you are placing your, (and maybe your childrens) life in their hands.

You know prices won’t drop, but you can be assured that profits will rise.
The holding companies profits will jump from their current £400million.

Vote with your feet.
Let P&O hear your feedback - Twitter etc!
Tell your MP you find it unacceptable

Does £1.81/hour apply to the people you are referring to (a,b,c,d above)?
I expect that if £1.81/h is a genuine number, it is for the lowest paid jobs.

Do you buy knock-off designer gear? Do you have Chinese built electronics?

Funny how we get outraged when it happens to our own people but it is ok to support criminal activity and the exploration of the poor in other countries.

Does £1.81/hour apply to the people you are referring to (a,b,c,d above)?
I expect that if £1.81/h is a genuine number, it is for the lowest paid jobs.

Do you buy knock-off designer gear? Do you have Chinese built electronics?

Funny how we get outraged when it happens to our own people but it is ok to support criminal activity and the exploration of the poor in other countries.

Do I buy knock off gear - no, though what that has to do with corporate greed from a company who recently paid their shareholders £250million plus is maybe some weird tenuous link you know about.

I imagine you have much experience from your homeland to draw comparisons around exploration of the poor.

Frankly there is little need to muddy the waters linking it to all & sundry ills in the world, we can only fix (or slowly influence) one thing at a time, so I won’t use P&O unless they “do the right thing”.

I hope many hundreds of thousands of others do the same.

It would hit them financially, and serve as a nudge for other companies to ‘play fair’.

Maybe a business lesson like Gerald Ratner got.

Enjoy your trips on P&O, and hopefully stay safe.

It just doesn’t fit with my personal values.

Would anyone who is legally entitled to work on a cross channel ferry actually work for £1.81 p.h.
I can't help thinking this is just the media at it again.

I imagine you have much experience from your homeland to draw comparisons around exploration of the poor.

What are you implying and where do you think my ‘homeland' is?

Don’t hide behind your key-board pal.
Don’t get personal.
Make sure you have your facts straight.

I don’t agree with what P&O have done if they have broken the law (and especially after apparently getting millions in support during COVID).

I’m not 'muddying the waters' - simply drawing a comparison between the chest-thumping and outrage at what P&O did because it is our countrymen and ignoring what happens to other people while benefitting from their exploitation when it suits us.

Do you think that all the Filipinos, Malaysians, Indonesians & Indians working on cruise ships get appropriate compensation and are competent to do their jobs? Is it is ok for them to wait on you hand and foot on a cruise but not ok to work on a ferry because they are taking a British job?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JHS
Hebblethwaite's performance yesterday in front of the Transport Committee was brazen. I really think that the management team at P&O completely underestimated the reputational damage that their actions would cause, and continue to do so.

As I said in an earlier post - and it looks like my prediction was correct - it will result at the very least in pressure to change employment law for transport operator companies to guarantee UK employment law protections as a minimum for UK-domiciled employees, even if the contract of employment is written under the law of another state.

I doubt other transport company operators will be thanking Hebblethwaite and the rest of P&O's management for prodding the wasps' nest.

.............. to guarantee UK employment law protections as a minimum for UK-domiciled employees.......lethwaite and the rest of P&O's management for prodding the wasps’ nest.
Wouldn’t those rules make overseas based employers reluctant to hire UK based employees. We might not be doing the employees any favours.

Wouldn’t those rules make overseas based employers reluctant to hire UK based employees. We might not be doing the employees any favours.
Fair point, and that's why any change in regulation needs to be carefully considered. The proposal that I've heard mentioned is that UK employment law protections (including minimum wage, etc.) would be extended to all crew on vessels operating from a UK port on defined routes such as DO-CA, Harwich-Hook, etc.

Hebblethwaite's performance yesterday in front of the Transport Committee was brazen. I really think that the management team at P&O completely underestimated the reputational damage that their actions would cause, and continue to do so.
I honestly don’t think that they care about their reputation or they would not have taken the path they have chosen.

If they can offer the cheapest fares, people will use them.

Look at Ryan Air, poor reputation as an employer, what an awful experience it is travelling with them and the owner can be quite rude about his customers. However, they are still in business.

ex P&O engineer. Nothing will be done. heres why...

-the ships are flagged cyprus, liberia or some other shit hole. technicaly you work there not the uk

-the contracts are from singapore, they arnt worth the paper they are written on. plus when we signed them in the 'place of signature' part you had to put "at sea" if you wrote the port where you were the office rejected it

-most of the seafarers didnt pay uk tax as they spent 183 days or more out of the uk. So who do you think the gov is more intrested the seafarers or DP world who pay millions to the government for the use of the port?

ex P&O engineer. Nothing will be done. heres why...

-the ships are flagged cyprus, liberia or some other shit hole. technicaly you work there not the uk

-the contracts are from singapore, they arnt worth the paper they are written on. plus when we signed them in the 'place of signature' part you had to put "at sea" if you wrote the port where you were the office rejected it

-most of the seafarers didnt pay uk tax as they spent 183 days or more out of the uk. So who do you think the gov is more intrested the seafarers or DP world who pay millions to the government for the use of the port?
How cinical! You can't possibly suggest all this posturing from Government is actually a sneaky back handed way of making a tax grab on the workers...?

Sadly, I would expect nothing less from our (one rule for them, no rules for us) elites.

How cinical! You can't possibly suggest all this posturing from Government is actually a sneaky back handed way of making a tax grab on the workers...?

Sadly, I would expect nothing less from our (one rule for them, no rules for us) elites.
Loads of ready made soundbites available for them. One that springs to mind, but they will not be using ,is " We are closing the stable door now that the horse has bolted".

The other side of the coin is that the workers (if they took advantage of tax free salaries mentioned above....) have contributed no taxes toward the country from which they are now demanding support.......

I’m not sure cross channel ferry workers necessarily spend that many nights per year out of the U.K.

P&O ferries are a separate company to P&O cruises (whose workers may well meet that criteria).

The side of the harbour wall so in other words... as soon as the ship let's go of the ropes.

Last edited:
That's why if you look at any uk to foreign port ferry time table they all leave before midnight 😉
Surely whatever time a ferry leaves the UK it’s going to be before midnight. 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom