P on Traffic Lights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I take it you don’t drive in London very much something will always fill a gap.

I used to (drive in London) and always left a gap - a bike might get in but they usually want to get to the front of the line.

yeah, I’m one of those people unfortunately. I wear glasses for driving and at nighttime, even though I don’t look at the brake lights themselves they really dazzle me, to such a degree that I put the sun visor down until the car in front pulls away. I guess I’ve just got extremely sensitive eyes, or maybe a bigger underlying problem.

For me at 65 it's an age related thing which to some degree is normal. It may not affect everyone to the same degree but in general we deal less well with stray light as we age and that isn't being helped by cars having increasingly brighter lights whether that is head lights or brake lights. The technical explanation is: Older individuals have increased intraocular stray light, glare sensitivity, and photostress recovery time.

For me at 65 it's an age related thing which to some degree is normal. It may not affect everyone to the same degree but in general we deal less well with stray light as we age and that isn't being helped by cars having increasingly brighter lights whether that is head lights or brake lights. The technical explanation is: Older individuals have increased intraocular stray light, glare sensitivity, and photostress recovery time.

agreed, but I’m only 46. :eek:

and @renault12ts is at least 76 so your theory isn’t bullet proof. :D

I’m 73 and I wear glasses, but I still don’t have a problem stopped behind people with their brake lights on. If anything it’s a relief because I’m finding that I’m having to concentrate on driving at night more and more as the years pass. When I’m stopped I don’t have to look straight ahead at the car in front of me; I know when the traffic is moving again because I don’t have tunnel vision. When I’m moving I do get bothered by fear fog lights or high beam lights left on by mistake because it’s more important to me to be able to see well then. I do struggle to understand why people bothered by brake lights when stopped don’t just avert their eyes.

What I find annoying to a certain degree from a miserable old farts point of view is vehicles that are stationary with their brakes illuminated, in particular the 3rd brake light which is almost at eye level. This is particularly annoying at night when sat in traffic behind such a vehicle.
B4 you have a pop at me hear me out.
This is more often than not caused by vehicles fitted with the ‘hold’ or ‘hill start’ function. It automatically put the brake lights on even when the foot is not on the brake pedal.
Wait I’ve not done yet..
What annoys me even more than that is the fact that i’m writing this crap because I’ve had to get up at daft o’clock because my sciatica is playing up.
6D848922-5013-4642-AA51-6FBA1CCE91A9.jpeg

There have been a few threads about this... regarding potential wear to the TC, the gear selector mechanism, and the brake discs.

This is one answer:

- The TC won't wear by the transmission being left in D, because its an hydraulic device and there's no 'metal-to-metal' contact.
- The transmission won't wear by being left in D because it's 'protected' by the hydraulic TC.
- The gear selector mechanism will wear if the gear is frequently shifted from D to P and back (e.g. in city traffic).
- The brake discs might suffer heat damage if the calipers are allowed to hold the disc in the same position for lengthy periods of time (e.g. when stopped in traffic light) with minimal heat dissipation.

So the best practice appears to be as follows: when stopped in traffic light, leave the gear in D, apply the parking brake, and release the foot brake.

What about on those cars that don't use a traditional torque converter (like the later C63s) that have the automated clutch transmission design?

Like other members the lights from brake lights never bothered me , it’s something I never thought about until now. , lol prop find they blind me now.

What about on those cars that don't use a traditional torque converter (like the later C63s) that have the automated clutch transmission design?

From what I've read, the main culprits are the double clutches like those in Porsches etc - they to not like being kept in gear in traffic and it will wear them quicker.

Like other members the lights from brake lights never bothered me , it’s something I never thought about until now. , lol prop find they blind me now.

I think they are stopping too close to the car ahead - it is rare to see a driver leaving a proper gap in traffic (now wait for all the denials).

I think they are stopping too close to the car ahead - it is rare to see a driver leaving a proper gap in traffic (now wait for all the denials).

what is a proper gap ?

Able to see where the rear wheels of the car ahead touch the read is a guide.

Agreed. Was taught to drive by my father who instilled into me, phrases such as "tyres & tarmac" (referring to distances when behind stationary vehicles esp when it comes to parking) and "wipers on = lights on" (obviously referring to visibility conditions) :)

Not at all, when stationary I always apply the 2 second rule. :D:D:D

I use neutral or P and put on the parking brake so as not to blind the person behind me.

On a W205 aren't all those actions the same thing? When you press the button on the end of the gear "stick" you are shifting into Neutral and engaging Park.

I always use the parking brake when I'm stopped for more than 30 seconds or so. It's how I was taught to drive for starters, always use the handbrake when stationery. Not only does it prevent you from glaring the person behind, with LED brake lights more prevalent this is more and more of a problem, but also if someone runs into the back of you you're less likely to get pushed into the car in front. I really hate people who sit in queues with the brake lights on, and this 'well it doesn't affect me so I don't care' attitude. It just takes a little bit of effort to more considerate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom