P0470 Error code - Exhaust pressure sensor A circuit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TokyoKazama

Car
Mercedes A180 D
Hi guys. A few days ago my check engine light came on (A class A180D 2016). Got it checked out at a garage. The guy said for £40 he would take out the sensor and soak it in a solution which could fix it or for £200 he could replace it entirely whereas I took it to another mechanic as well and he was baffled by the idea to soak the sensor and instead suggested to take out the filter and manually clean it using solution for £260 (not the same as a dpf regeneration which he said is a scam because it's a short term solution). He also said failing that he would suggest to replace the sensor.

Either way I'm really confused as to where the actual issue lies and don't want to spend hundreds of quid fixing one thing when the issue lies with the other thing...😔

Sounds as though you need to go to a trusted MB indie. If you give the forum your location someone will be able to advise you of a local company.

Sounds as though you need to go to a trusted MB indie. If you give the forum your location someone will be able to advise you of a local company.
Hi thanks for getting back to me. I'm based in South London

Hi Tokyo and welcome . not sure how handy you are with the spanners and where the sensor is on your car but taking it out and giving it a soak and a blast with EGR/sensor cleaner will cost you about £5 , checking the wiring to it and the plug connection will cost you nothing. And the mechanic is right it could 'fix' it but only if it was coked up which might point to an underlying problem elsewhere causing the soot in the first place. Do you do short slow journeys only , etc ?

I have been through this very recently (finished the job yesterday) with a petrol car . First thing I did was the cheap and easy bit ....took out the sensors and spark plugs cleaned them (very sooty) . The light came back on , the soot returned and in the end I replaced the catalytic converter which was the fault all along .

So a £5 can of EGR cleaner saved me spending £100's on two sensors that were perfectly OK.

As said either pay someone trustworthy to read the codes properly , DIY or drop £40 on matey to clean it out. Up to you.

Not sure why the other mechanic was 'baffled' by the idea of cleaning the sensor, it's common practice with O2/MAF/MAP and all sorts of sensors as a first (cheap) port of call unless the sensor is reading open circuit or some other fatal flaw.

The real mechanics on here will be along soon to a give more detailed explanation . don't spend any money on it yet !

If its the exhaust back pressure sensor , they are about £40 at mb. 5 minutes to replace.

Hi Tokyo and welcome . not sure how handy you are with the spanners and where the sensor is on your car but taking it out and giving it a soak and a blast with EGR/sensor cleaner will cost you about £5 , checking the wiring to it and the plug connection will cost you nothing. And the mechanic is right it could 'fix' it but only if it was coked up which might point to an underlying problem elsewhere causing the soot in the first place. Do you do short slow journeys only , etc ?

I have been through this very recently (finished the job yesterday) with a petrol car . First thing I did was the cheap and easy bit ....took out the sensors and spark plugs cleaned them (very sooty) . The light came back on , the soot returned and in the end I replaced the catalytic converter which was the fault all along .

So a £5 can of EGR cleaner saved me spending £100's on two sensors that were perfectly OK.

As said either pay someone trustworthy to read the codes properly , DIY or drop £40 on matey to clean it out. Up to you.

Not sure why the other mechanic was 'baffled' by the idea of cleaning the sensor, it's common practice with O2/MAF/MAP and all sorts of sensors as a first (cheap) port of call unless the sensor is reading open circuit or some other fatal flaw.

The real mechanics on here will be along soon to a give more detailed explanation . don't spend any money on it yet !
Much appreciated Pete. I won't spend any money on it yet! To answer your questions, I don't really know much about D.I.Y and have been reading up on this error code issue as I've gone along and to your other question I tend to drive on the motorway most days for a couple hrs in total.

If its the exhaust back pressure sensor , they are about £40 at mb. 5 minutes to replace.
Yes that's the one. I can buy one myself and just pay a mechanic to install it however there seems to be a chance the issue could be with the dpf filter or even the wiring around the sensor itself! 😅 That's the issue with the error code being so general and non specific.

Yes that's the one. I can buy one myself and just pay a mechanic to install it however there seems to be a chance the issue could be with the dpf filter or even the wiring around the sensor itself! 😅 That's the issue with the error code being so general and non specific.
Just replace it , its one of the most common issues tbh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom