Paddle Shifters... Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blondee

Car
Mercedes CLC220 Sport
So my new CLC has paddle shifters... I've used them once and thought 'What the hell?' Then 'What is the point!' Can anyone change my mind on this because I love driving a manual sometimes just to thrash it about a bit but I don't get that with this so I'm just leaving it in auto and thinking they are pointless.

K. x :)

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I occasionally use the paddle shifters on mine in manual mode but find that the gearbox is really quite sluggish compared to a full manual car.

You can use them whilst in automatic too, if you want to change down a cog or two to pre-empt the box in kick down, for overtaking. If I use them in Sport mode it blips the throttle on the way down too - amazing noise on the 63.

I agree though, it’s generally too much hassle, let the box do its own thing, just no need to manually intervene.

paulshep69 said:
I occasionally use the paddle shifters on mine in manual mode but find that the gearbox is really quite sluggish compared to a full manual car.

Yes I thought exactly the same - was really slow gearbox movement hence why I didn't do it again!!

Rashman said:
I've used the paddles from day 1. I only use "C" to warm the drive train and then straight to "M".

I'm going to have another go tomorrow - I want to do it on a straight open road & see how it works!! Intrigued definitely. X

Really depends what gearbox you have.
Paddles in most cars that have them are more gimmicky than anything else and don't work as you'd expect them to.

But certainly have a play and see how you get on.

So my new CLC has paddle shifters... I've used them once and thought 'What the hell?' Then 'What is the point!' Can anyone change my mind on this because I love driving a manual sometimes just to thrash it about a bit but I don't get that with this so I'm just leaving it in auto and thinking they are pointless.

K. x :)

Sent from my iPad using MBClub UK

I was sort of with you on this as I get what you mean about despite it allowing manual gear selection it's not like a manual, but then I realised that you need to learn to use it for what it is rather than expecting it to be like a manual.

By that I mean you need to be slightly ahead of the game as it takes a moment to react to your input so you need to pre-empt it a little. Once you get used to it it can be very useful, but I admit at first it seems a bit strange.

Persevere a while and see how you feel about it in a few weeks.

Hold the left one in for 3 secs - it will select the optimum gear for a thrash.
Hold the right one in for 3 secs - it will go back to AUTO.

The auto can change gear much faster than a manual with almost no drop of the throttle.... but just like loud exhausts make the car sound faster.... manuals make cars feel faster.

def90cars said:
Hold the left one in for 3 secs - it will select the optimum gear for a thrash. Hold the right one in for 3 secs - it will go back to AUTO. The auto can change gear much faster than a manual with almost no drop of the throttle.... but just like loud exhausts make the car sound faster.... manuals make cars feel faster.

Learn something new everyday - that's fab. I know it's no race car but just trying to determine the options with these paddles. Thanks all. I'll try this today x :)

I have no Tiptronic feature (tap of the gearshift left or right), so it's Auto or paddles.

When in manual, it's paddles or nowt as the car won't upshift without them.

developer said:
I have no Tiptronic feature (tap of the gearshift left or right), so it's Auto or paddles. When in manual, it's paddles or nowt as the car won't upshift without them.

Which model do you have then?

I have Tiptronic and paddles but rarely use either. When I do, it's usually the Tiptronic because that's what I had on my W208 for over 10 years. I usually forget that the paddles are there!

I did a few laps of Silverstone last year in a Ferrari 360 F1 Modena where I had to use the paddles because they were the only way to change gear. I couldn't get used to them, never being too sure which gear I was in for the optimum performance (getting it very wrong a couple of times :doh:). I guess you have to use them a lot to appreciate them.

I have always used the paddles to downshift my ML when I want to slow down and the auto wont change quick enough, an example is coming up to a line of traffic on the motorway I can reduce my speed slowly without having to use the brakes.

David

I hardly ever use them in my c class as hate the fact that if the gearbox doesn't want to change it won't even if I'm trying to, understand its a safety thing but manual should be manual.

They are good and easy to use if you have the AMG menu on as it shows you which gear you are in so easy to decide when/if to change gear. Non AMG cars are harder to use the paddles as you have to remember which gear you are in. Use M mode on my A45 when I really want to press on.

Paddle shift on my SL much quicker than manual and more satisfying. When I'm just potting around I'll stay in auto, but will be in manual if out for a blat or I want it to stay in a particular gear.

On my W204 it shows the gear selected on the dash if I'm in manual mode. The problem with the paddles is it takes it 10 minutes to think about making any change after you pulled the paddle, total waste of time.

My wife has them on her CLC 220CDI, they are rubbish, very slow to react, i have tried to get them to work in all sorts of conditions, but they leave a lot to be desired.

On the other hand they work quite well on my W166 ML, go figure.

Last edited:
I hardly ever use them in my c class as hate the fact that if the gearbox doesn't want to change it won't even if I'm trying to, understand its a safety thing but manual should be manual.

If you want to change to a higher or lower gear manually then the paddle shift will, it does in my ML anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom