Pagoda

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
A friend of mine has just treated himself to this:

280SL_zpsfd2167d5.jpg

1970 280SL Auto. I officially hate him... :)

Cheers,

Gaz

I'm always struck by how small these cars were in comparison to today's models. The days when "Sport Leicht" meant something

Two words sum that car up : timeless elegance .

Good design never goes out of style and these cars look as fresh and modern today as they did when they were introduced 50 years ago .

How many other 50 year old designs look as fresh today ?

Good design never goes out of style and these cars look as fresh and modern today as they did when they were introduced 50 years ago .

It still looks good inside and out. The one thing that jars is that it's fitted with a modern Sony CD head unit. If anyone has a period Becker for sale, please let me know and I'll pass it on..

Cheers,

Gaz

Completely agree.

But then there's the E-Type, and possibly the big Healey, both of which, like the 2 pictured, made a statement.

A bit off topic, but I saw some beautiful cars (and bikes) yesterday at the Kop Hill Climb, in Bucks, including the John Cobb Napier Railton land speed record car. All 20-odd litres of it. Very much of its time, but a sight to behold, nonetheless.

Finished off a great day by going to the cinema to see Rush. Excellent film.

Malcolm

Design 50 years ago - even 30 perhaps - was more individual and idiosyncratic. Fuel efficiency, the mantra nowadays, requiring great drag coefficients, is making all cars become horizontal raindrops in shape, hence less design freedom.

Stunning.

one of my all time fave merc's ill have an ivory/red leather one please.absolute stunners

I wouldn't turn one down in any colour, but a matching W100 Grosser to go with it would be a dream come true.
I probably wouldn't be able to drive them though, I would just stand there looking at them for hours.

Should that not have a pole to contact the electricity and big rubber bumpers :dk: Timeless elegance that is not, more like pure French Sh*te that is one mega fuggly car

Will have to agree to dissagree on that then. They are certainly not a sleek car but very individual. I was going to put up a picture of a Bristol or Alvis but i'm a bit biased on that front.:D

Will have to agree to dissagree on that then. They are certainly not a sleek car but very individual. I was going to put up a picture of a Bristol or Alvis but i'm a bit biased on that front.:D

I love Bristol and Alvis but you can't put them in the same league as that French carp :D

Don't worry I wouldn't dream of trying to put them in the same league. I've never owned a Citroen, If I did it would be the DS Safari but I dare not put a picture up of that for the ridicule I would get!

It still looks good inside and out. The one thing that jars is that it's fitted with a modern Sony CD head unit. If anyone has a period Becker for sale, please let me know and I'll pass it on..

Cheers,

Gaz

They go for ludicous money, but I'd be tempted to try and find a Becker 7948.
It's a conciously retro styled unit which has the bluetooth, ipod, nav stuff built in.

becker11.jpg

There are some on ebay at the moment for about £3k - which for a second hand headunit seems quite a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom