Paid a deposit... and now they are not answering my calls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart K

Car
E220 CDI Estate
Hi

Not sure where I stand here. I've ordered some shutters/blinds for my house. I've paid a £500 deposit and then pay the remaining 50% when they have been installed.

There is about a 6 week lead time which is due next week. I thought I'd phone the shop up (its a local small store) and clicked into voice mail saying they are short staffed and the shop is close for a short period, please phone my mobile number if you have already placed an order blah blah blah..

A little bit concerned, I've given the mobile a call and have left a msg, next day nothing. My wife tried to call and had the 'its a bad line.. hello hello hello' and hung up.

I have now got hold of the sales man.. who said he ha been made redundant last week. Clearly... all looking v v bad.

I've got this guys home address, company number via companies house.

Any way, I understand that if the company goes into liqudation my credit card company with give me money back.

His shop is still there with every thing in it and a sign with his mobile in the window.

Not sure how to play it. Any ideas? Any one know where I stand?

Regards

Last edited:
Get your money back pronto ... don't take any chances .

Any chance he has your mobile number and is screening the calls ? Can you ring him from a number that he doesn't know ?

At the very least find out who the administrators are and get you name on the list of creditors.

Sounds suspect.. being a small company they may just have closed for a holiday or something but as the salesman has been made redundant I would be onto your card company asap.

Yep.. I just want my money back pronto.. but thats the problem. How?!!

His mobile has been switch off since out last conversation. I'm guessing he is avoiding every one right now.

not really sure where I stand, go to small claims, police?

I am really sorry you've been inconvenienced. But you will probably get your money back.. Spare a thought for him. I am quite sure he didn't want to go out of business. How much do you think he may have lost?

Well, I understand that until paper have been filed I have little chance of getting money back.

Spare a thought for him... I've check him out.. and he bought a £900K house last year (I;ve got his home address from companies house as he is the director)..didn't pay his sales man last month (I've since learned) but happily took my order

I know its tough times for every one, but I have no regard for this guy, he can't even let me know whats going on..

Add 141 to the start of his mobile and other numbers when calling from your mobile or a landline and then your number will remain anonymous.

If we get a bad payer that is one of the things we do to get a response.

Also, if you have email track-and-trace send him an email asking what the score is. You will be able to see if, when, where and for how long he opened the email for. This may seal your fate if you see he has opened the mail and will not respond, but at least you know where you stand and can then contact your credit card company.

I'm afraid that his emails bounce back..

There is about a 6 week lead time which is due next week.

I can understand your concern but to be slightly positive all they seem to have done wrong so far is not be very good at answering the phone. The salesman made redundant may not have been a very good one. They've not failed to deliver just yet. I hope they do.

Fingers crossed for you.

Most mobile phones also have a menu option to send your number (or not) when dialling.

Might be worth contacting your local Trading Standards department to see if they have had any other complaints about the company or if they have heard what is happening. At least you will know which way to proceed i.e. court action etc.

Also check to see if they are member of a trade association, some of them operate a deposit indemnity scheme.

Last edited:
Any way, I understand that if the company goes into liqudation my credit card company with give me money back.

Given you paid by credit card you have no worries.

Just wait and see if they show up, and failing that contact the CC company who will sort it out for you.

Also, if you have email track-and-trace send him an email asking what the score is. You will be able to see if, when, where and for how long he opened the email for. This may seal your fate if you see he has opened the mail

Sorry, HOW?

Email track and trace works only if you agree to download pictures :) Its big no-no in my books!

Cheers
Chris

Sorry, HOW?

Email track and trace works only if you agree to download pictures :) Its big no-no in my books!

Cheers
Chris

Email track and trace works whether you download pictures or not. ;)

Email track and trace works whether you download pictures or not. ;)

We have had this discussion before, here:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/pc-i-t-support-advice-posts/65445-email-track-trace-help.html

On that thread, you wrote:

ringway said:
This is an eye opener.
I had no idea that this product was so dodgy.

I think we may have to stop using it because of the issues raised on here.

If anyone does manage to get any further information or results I be interested to read them.

I didn't have much insight into the technical side of how the product worked and purchased the product purely as a delivery notification service.

Frankly, the product is still dodgy and I would hope that if you are a reputable business you have stopped using it. If however you do have some new interesting "insight into the technical side of how the product works" that you have acquired since the previous thread, please do share.

-simon

How?
As far as I know SMTP there is nothing there which will show you what/when/where. And no, I don't allow java scripts either.

Cheers
Chris

Can of worms opening......

We use track and trace to ensure recipients have had a quotation, purchase order, invoice or other vital documents.

It has been discussed on this forum before and not everyone agrees with it.
I don't use it on personal emails because that would feel wierd, but find it invaluable when needing confirmation of delivery of mail.

As long as I know that the recipient has opened the email that is all I want to know.

However, if someone owes us money and has been avoiding payment and we send the invoice or a statement or reminder and they open the email containing the same, and then say they have not had any such email we have a head start in knowing that they are not being honest and therefore we can avoid any further problems by not supplying further goods etc...

The only reason we really use it is for delivery confirmation.

However, it does come in handy in cases like the OP'S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom