Paint for a rocker cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks. I'm about to paint the rocker cover on my 300te.

Do I need to use "high temperature paint" ?

I don't think it gets so hot that it needs high temp paint. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Couple of years ago I repainted the rocker/cam cover on my wife's XR2 with ordinary aerosol paint from Halfords.

Still looks good! No signs of the paint being heat affected.

Folks. I'm about to paint the rocker cover on my 300te.

Do I need to use "high temperature paint" ?

I don't think it gets so hot that it needs high temp paint. Any thoughts?

I would use high temp personally, VHT do so many colours these days it's easy to get what you want.

You might try engine paint, I've just painted the engine block on my land rover using this, and high temp paint on the manifold, all seems fine

Incidentally, the high temp paint was very thin, not sure it would give a great finish on a rocker cover as it seemed to almost soak into the manifold when applied

As said don't need a specific high temp paint, plenty of engine parts get painted with regular two pack* or powder coated as well as 'proper' engine enamels.

That said i'm 99% sure the m103 rocker cover is magnesium (most MBs of this era had mag valve covers? my m104 certainly does) and getting paint or powder to stick/stay stuck to magnesium is trickier than ally... i'm no painter but AIUI while modern etch, or better yet, epoxy primers have made painting ally as easy as steel mag castings are still fussy. Dunno if a chromate coating is still the done thing or if outgassing (baking at some temp for some time) prior to shooting the part with an epoxy primer is a better way these days

* Obviously appropriate positive pressure breathing gear is required

Last edited:
Thank you all.

I will go with the Glasurit Spray and Lacquer that I have. After a good primer.

The cover itself is being media blasted to get a good clean paint surface.

Thanks again

Bruce

Don't be lazy, give a good mirror polish then high temp lacquer, much nicer than paint !

Whilst the polish would look amazing, lacquer won't stick to a shiny surface all to well unfortunately.

I'm getting mine done at a body shop, pretty sure they just use regular paint and clear. They have done several in the past with excellent results.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! You don't mirror polish it, you simply paint it RED for an extra 50 bhp. :D

You do indeed, it's a known fact RED ones go faster.:D

20160223_163820_zpsojbhijhh.jpg

Last edited:
brucemillar said:
Plan is to match it to the air filter and body work. Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

How very green!!!

I had one that colour with green velour, lots of green!

Lovely car

Bruce what about a graphite grey, that might be a touch too much green under the bonnet?

Bruce,

No need for high temp/VHT paint. Normal car paint will be fine, just make sure the cover is stripped properly of all traces of oil/corrosion etc.

I used an acid etch primer (UPOL aerosol) and satin black for one of the Cosworths a few years back, durability was fine :cool:

There's some pics here in a old gallery post:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/97629-my-1990-190e-2-5-16-a.html

carat 3.6 said:
Bruce what about a graphite grey, that might be a touch too much green under the bonnet?

Simon

That is plan B. I have some if the Grey for the bumpers left. When I get it back from the blaster I will have a look before making a final decision.

Will said:
Bruce, No need for high temp/VHT paint. Normal car paint will be fine, just make sure the cover is stripped properly of all traces of oil/corrosion etc. I used an acid etch primer (UPOL aerosol) and satin black for one of the Cosworths a few years back, durability was fine :cool: There's some pics here in a old gallery post: http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/members-gallery/97629-my-1990-190e-2-5-16-a.html

Will. Thank you. This is good to know. Just need to wait for it to be blasted now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom