Paint matching. Anyone know where??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paterson12

Car
CL 55 AMG Kompressor, BMW X6, 1968 Porsche 911 swb
Hi

My C36 is imperial red, although it has faded slightly (only slightly). Any know if there is anywhere is Nottinghamshire/South Yorkshire where they can match paint from the car to compensate for the slight fade.

Thank :)

Any body shop can do this ' as they mix the paint to spray.

Or do you mean can someone make you up a pre-faded aerosol ?

your better off getting some "paint correction" done if there is no huge scratches etc. get it mopped by a detailer with some good paint cutting compound and this will give the paint a new lease of life without spraying

Yes I'm after somebody who can make up some paint with the pre-fade. I've heard it is possible as they scan the colour and make a paint up to match.

I was looking at a detailer, they seem pretty expensive but I have heard they are good at bringing the paint back.

yes its pricey I agree but a lot cheaper than painting and it keeps it all original aswell. shop about there's plenty of hobbyist detailers about that I'm sure will cut you a deal.(no pun intended)

yes its pricey I agree but a lot cheaper than painting and it keeps it all original aswell. (no pun intended)

100% agree.

Painting it should be a last resort.

Well the reason I want the paint is because the front wings and rear panel on the arch by the door are corroded and ideally need painting. But I 100% agree, I'm defiantly going to get a detailer on it.

Yes I'm after somebody who can make up some paint with the pre-fade. I've heard it is possible as they scan the colour and make a paint up to match.

I was looking at a detailer, they seem pretty expensive but I have heard they are good at bringing the paint back.

It will work, but... it's not a great solution for two reasons.

Firstly, the 'pre-faded' colour isn't really faded, just a lighter hue. As time passes by the new and old paint will fade in different ways and will no longer look the same.

Then, the 'pre-faded' colour will only look right in daylight, but park it under a lamppost at night and the panels will not look the same.

The best way to deal with this is to have the paintwork restored on the entire car by a detailer or body shop and then paint the areas that need respraying using the original paint colour.

markjay said:
It will work, but... it's not a great solution for two reasons. Firstly, the 'pre-faded' colour isn't really faded, just a lighter hue. As time passes by the new and old paint will fade in different ways and will no longer look the same. Then, the 'pre-faded' colour will only look right in daylight, but park it under a lamppost at night and the panels will not look the same. The best way to deal with this is to have the paintwork restored on the entire car by a detailer or body shop and then paint the areas that need respraying using the original paint colour.

Thanks for that! That might have to be the best option, the car isn't badly faded as it has spent most if it's like in a garage.

Good advice markjay.

I restored a red VW once due to corrosion, looked great in the daylight, I was very proud of my work.

Then I parked it under a yellow street light at night, I was so disappointed.......

It will work, but... it's not a great solution for two reasons.

Firstly, the 'pre-faded' colour isn't really faded, just a lighter hue. As time passes by the new and old paint will fade in different ways and will no longer look the same.

Then, the 'pre-faded' colour will only look right in daylight, but park it under a lamppost at night and the panels will not look the same.

The best way to deal with this is to have the paintwork restored on the entire car by a detailer or body shop and then paint the areas that need respraying using the original paint colour.

I agree - bring the existing paint back up first by cutting then paint to that, if not might be less hassle to paint down both sides?

I'd have thought that a C36 getting on for twenty years old (?) would benefit from a quality repaint unless the other panels really are mint - has to be better than mismatched fading etc :)

Any pics of the faded paint?

image-553915380.jpg

A really bad photo, just one off my camera roll. The car has been sat in my friends warehouse for the last five years, so I bought it off him and doing it up :) exciting!

As you can see, not faded massively but needs sorting. I'll load some better pictures of the paintwork tomorrow.

I can see why you need some paint now!

Corrosion for sure, but i have reached the limit of my knowledge regarding this TBH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom