Paint Protection Film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TripleD

Car
C300h loaner as my C250d broke after only 900 miles :(
I was considering having Llumar paint protection film applied to the front of my car to help avoid so many stone chips etc.
Has anyone had this done? Any thoughts on it?

Main problem I guess is you can't use a pressure washer or such like as it would lift the film but for £1000 for just the front is it worth it?

I have never heard of Llumar - the big brands are XPel, Suntek & 3M.

I had XPel fitted to the Porsche, great product and I think you would have to be brutal with the pressure washer to lift it.

IMHO on a slab fronted, dark colour car it is well worth it.

S

Ive booked mine in with Paintsheild for the whole front end.
Doubt very much pressure washers will lift the film.
Its my third car ive had it applied.

What the rough cost?

I was quoted between £700 - £1000 for the front of the car and that includes a 'free strip' as I wanted the back bumper protected because of the dog!

WOW!
So I thought I'd visit my local Llumar paint protection installer to look at their demo car, a 16 plate Audi RS3, and OMG if that's the state of the finish I'm glad I didn't get them to do the work!
Given that it was the demo car, I would have expected an OCD finish!

The edges of the film was actually about 4-5mm away from the edges of the panels, the corners of the bonnet were missing, wish I took some pictures, but for a 6 month old car it's really wasn't telling the best story on the quality of workmanship!

It's really making me think twice about getting it.

Good job you got to see a demo. The installer really is the key to a decent product lasting. I have seen some shockers and as you say the film stops around 5mm before the panel edge. The install on my Macan is much better - film is wrapped around all panel edges and under panel wheel arches and sills. Apart from the obvious edges across the bonnet and boot, it really is hard to tell its there.

Definitely wait until you find an installer who earns their crust.

Where are you based? The guys that did mine do all kinds of exotica and really are brilliant.
Oh, just seen Suffolk - they are in Kent, you could always have a night away with the Mrs as their place is in a nice village.

S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom