Paint scratches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevenN

Car
E220 CDI 2002 W210 Auto
Last night the local scum decided to trash a few things as they crawled through the estate.
Came out this morning to find a plastic planter near the car and a pile of soil on the roof.
After rinsing the soil off I find some scratches in the paintwork.
Looks like the planter had some time on the roof.
I reported it to the local plod as you never know they might have been caught doing other wrong doings.

No I am left with scratches to try and fill or polish out.

Any good tips on how to tackle the job would be appreciated.

As for the local scum. They seem to be an increasing problem in the area.
The police need more people to report what they are doing.
The more evidence they get the bigger the case to do something about it.
If nobody reports the crimes it's like they never happened.

Rant over

Steve

I recently has some scratches given to me on a car park :(

The scratches on my car went down to the primer under the paint. I used T cut metallic first which smoothed the edges of the scratches, then some colour restoring polish (blue in my case). Its not perfect but it is 90% better than it was, you only see them if you know what to look for.

I hope that they will polish out but I fear one will need some paint in.
I have some paint to do the wings and I have read somewhere that you can feed it into the scratch with a toothpick it's just how do you deal with the lacquer finish on top?

Cheers

Steve

Sorry to hear of what's happened.

Could you post some pics of the damage so we can advise what's best?

Will

Rough rule of thumb - if the scratch is deep enough to catch your finger nail as you run against it - unlikely to polish out. If not then a good chance.

Sorry to hear your woes - had a scroat key my drivers door a few years back - totally gutted and made me feel like getting rid of the car and buying a Shed....but after I calmed down (and was £200 lighter) decided that no-one other than myself was going to determine what car I had.

Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I have been giving them the once over with some T-cut.
They have about vanished but will probably need a better going over when I get chance to wash the car.

The planters has gone but no sign of the rozzers yet.
They did say they would like to know if anybody else has had trouble and would be knocking on doors.
I think they are looking to amass info on the people involved so they can get them shifted

Cheers

Steve

Maybe get a small touch up pot of the colour matched paint and a fine paintbrush (if its a small/thin scratch) to fill it in then polish the whole car but not with T cut. If it is so bad that you cant get rid maybe get a smart repair done?

Hi All

Thanks for the advice. I have been giving them the once over with some T-cut.
They have about vanished but will probably need a better going over when I get chance to wash the car.

The planters has gone but no sign of the rozzers yet.
They did say they would like to know if anybody else has had trouble and would be knocking on doors.
I think they are looking to amass info on the people involved so they can get them shifted

Cheers

Steve

Good luck mate. We had the WHOLE street keyed one night, and then they did the other side of the cars about two nights later and scrawled words in the paintwork (not nice ones at that) on three cars.....

What did the rozzers do? Nothing! It's under 5 grand of damage per vehicle, they don't care. Give you a crime number and move on.

We had CCTV footage of the whole street for the whole night and they just weren't interested.

Weren't even interested after all the damage was put right and it was done again.

Hopeless.

D.

Hi Dan

The police said they would follow it up and to be honest that surprised me.
I think they need more reports to enable them to give more time and resources.
I know they get a bad press about crime not solved but I do believe the law is against them.
The riots proved that point when the police are criticised for going in heavy handed.
Good on them in my point of view.
It's time the voice of the common tax payer rather than the people we keep is valued.

I could go on but this is not the forum for it.

You mentioned about the CCTV was it a private thing or one the authorities set up?

Where my car was is a bit of a thoroughfare for the yobs cutting through a pensioners housing complex. The mother in law who we are staying with would have a go if she heard anything. Good job she didn't

Ta

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom