Paint stain removal from cloth trim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
I seem to have sat on some fresh white paint, my jeans are stained but more worryingly the driver's seat now has a nice (dry) white paint blot right in the the middle.

The interior is black cloth/fabric.

Any ideas how to get it off? From the driver's seat, that is, I'll bin the jeans...

Thanks!

Try and gently scrape it off with a round tip knife and or use sticky tape to lift it off the fabric, if you try to thin or dilute it, it will soak further down into the fabric…tricky job, if its not oil based paint it should be easy enough to remove.

Dec

You need to identify the type of paint first, emulsion, Oil based gloss, water based Gloss. You can then choose the appropriate solvent to remove it.

If it's decorators paint and you have a Dulux Decorators Centre near you take a trip there the one near us gave me some excellent advice when we had a spill

I would go the scrape it off route once it is fully dry - leave it for a very long time if it is gloss.

Or cover it with a black marker!

Thanks for your replies.

Update:

1. It is dry and hard. Tried some mild stuff, substance used to remove chewing gum from kid's cloths, and also a some solvent used to removed adhesive from skin (medical stuff), but the thing is dry and won't budge. I am of course concerned about damaging the fabric through the use of strong solvent.

2. Talking to a Dulux centre is a good idea... even though at this stage I have no clue what kind of paint it is.

3. Black marker is my fall-back option.

4. Pics below:

image1149.jpg

Last edited:
Advice from a dry cleaner might be a better approach, the would have something for every stain the encounter on all types of fabric. You can practice on the jeans.

Dec

I've used Brake cleaner very successfully to get oil off interior cloth trim, so it may work for oil based paints. Haven't tried it on paint though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom