painted callipers and wheels refurbished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harry82

Car
C63
I posted these over on the AMG Lounge section but thought they would be relevant here aswell....it may give people some inspiration when having their wheels done or callipers painted. if anything, it might rule out what not to have as the colour on the callipers is proving a bit marmite.

The wheels have been refurbished in a metallic dark anthracite with diamond cut face.

Wheels look great, but not sure I like the callipers.

It's your car though, so if you're happy with them, good on you :thumb:

Nowt wrong with Gold/Yellow calipers with anthracite wheels although im biased lol

merc85-albums-she-stands-10-1-2016-picture9690-wheels2.jpg

Have to say they look A1, an unusual colour but they look fab with the wheels and go well with the white! ;)

Love the caliper colour!
Did u spray it on the car or remove the calipers?

I like the wheels, not sure about the colour on the calipers, good job though.

love it all, looks fab, wonder if the missus will notice if I paint mine

Harry82 said:
Yep...did everything on the car

I'm really impressed, finish is top notch. Might give mine a go in the warmer weather

Really good job buddy ,what did u use to paint them? You've got my creative tendencies twitching [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really good job buddy ,what did u use to paint them? You've got my creative tendencies twitching [emoji23]

high build primer, waterbased automotive paint mixed from a bodyshop for the colour, and a 2k air-dry lacquer.....all put through a paint gun

Wheels and calipers look great. Especially the calipers, love the colour and for an 'on the car' job the finish looks exceptional!

So I take it you haven't used any high temp paint? Just plenty of prep work.

What is 2K air-dry lacquer please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I take it you haven't used any high temp paint? Just plenty of prep work.

What is 2K air-dry lacquer please?

nope....no high temp paint, just regular waterbased automotive paint. have done many callipers like this and have never had any issues with the fact that the paint isn't "high temperature".

just to give you an example, when refurbishing wheels we use a powdercoat primer and then paint the chosen colour, whether it be silver, anthracite or something completely custom. The painted wheels are then powder lacquered and cured in an oven at 220 deg C for over half an hour without any adverse effects. That is about as much of a test for the paint as any.

As for 2k air-dry lacquer, it's simply lacquer, hardener and some thinners used in the automotive industry. However, it's been developed to cure at ambient temperatures rather than requiring an oven to cure it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom