Painted door handles for the w202

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
I did a lot of research into this a few months ago.

The w202 has black plastic door handles (elegance has a strip of chrome). The w202 was the first MB to have that shape of handle and from 1993-2001 it continued to have the same rubbish door handles. When they facelifted the w202 they should have fixed the handles, they produced painted parts to update the body (side mouldings, lower bumper parts, sideskirts etc) but never did the handles. This was a mistake! :(

You could have your door handles painted by your local bodyshop. I got a quote for this work and it came to £150 +VAT, which isn't a bad price, but I was concerned about the quality of the job: door handles are used all the time and I was worried that the paint would crack or chip over time...

The good news is, if your car is produced in a colour that was available on the facelifted w210 then you can fit factory painted door handles to your car! The following part numbers are for painted handles without chrome strip, #### represents a processed paintcode, 744 silver is 9744, 040 black is 9040, 891 Alexandrite green is 6891 etc, I can provide the correct code if required.

A 208 760 00 70 [####] : rear door handle : £14.11 +VAT
A 210 760 12 70 [####] : front door handle : £12.45 +VAT
A 210 766 03 56 [####] : rear end piece : £5.39 +VAT

You obviously need two of each. A total of £75.08 including VAT.

You may have noticed that the front end pieces have been missed off. This is because they have an IR module, lock or flashing LED component in them (depending on year) and it's not worthwhile ordering them (very expensive and lock parts will most probably not be shipped unless they match your VIN). You will need to get the front end pieces painted by a bodyshop, I was quoted £25 to have both done. That comes to only £100 for the whole job! :)

If you have chrome strips on your door handles then you should get these:

A 208 760 01 70 [####] : front right door handle : £23.64
A 208 760 02 70 [####] : front left door handle : £23.64
A 210 760 14 70 [####] : rear right door handle : £?? prolly the same as above
A 210 766 02 56 [####] : rear right covering : £8.43
A 210 760 13 70 [####] : rear left door handle : £??
A 210 766 01 56 [####] : rear left covering : £8.43

They cost a lot more though, total including painting the front end pieces would be about £135, which is still cheaper than the £150 +VAT I was quoted to have the whole lot painted.

These handles will also fit the pre facelift w210, SLK, r129 SL and the ML.

Last edited:
how easy to fit ?

What's the difference with the Elegance ones - are they just colour coded with a chrome strip ?

S.

They are easy to fit, just need a allen key, the screw hole is behind the door seal, make sure you only LOOSEN that screw dont remove it all or you will be sorry!

Yep Elegance once have a chrome strip.

Thanks K. .... & thanks Shude for the great info.

I can feel another mod coming on...... :devil:

Black Plastic door handles do look really cheap against my silver paint !

Originally posted by sym
Black Plastic door handles do look really cheap against my silver paint !
They do! Sad really, no excuse for them not to be painted. They used painted ones on the w208 CLK from day one ~1997, that's why the painted front handles carry a 208* part number, then the w210 got them in ~1999, which is why the back door handles carry a w210 part number (no rear doors on the clk :) ).

The first part numbers I supplied are from a facelift w210 classic. The classic is the only w210 with completely painted handles (no chrome). Tough luck for the yanks who never actually got Classic models so can't get the handles from their stealerships!

I know the ML and the SLK can use the same painted handles because I checked on the EPC and both cars use 202* part number handles, so they're a perfect match (the pre-facelift w210 has 202* handles on it too, I think the w202 with chrome strip handles carry a w210 part number, so maybe they were only available from 1995 w202 models onwards?). The SLK nearside end piece is a mystery, I suppose one could be ordered from the facelift SLK, but I suspect that it has IR/lock components in it that would render it a) un-orderable and b) grossly overpriced.

I will be ordering some more soon, lucky for me the w210 was available in 189 green-black :D

If anyone wants any in 891 Alexandrite green, please let me know! I bought them a few months ago but sadly the car has been crushed into a cube and won't be needing them now :(

Door handles

I purchased the door handles with the chrome strips for my 1998 w210 but they do not fit. The length of the recessed part is 25mm longer than what is fitted and the end part is different as well.

Mercedes parts will not refund as they were ordered parts. Does any one know the correct part no's for the pre facelift w210?

locket said:
I purchased the door handles with the chrome strips for my 1998 w210 but they do not fit. The length of the recessed part is 25mm longer than what is fitted and the end part is different as well.

Mercedes parts will not refund as they were ordered parts. Does any one know the correct part no's for the pre facelift w210?
Have you compared front handles to rear handles? :)

Door handles

Shude said:
Have you compared front handles to rear handles? :)
I got my son to put them on. You were right he was putting the back handles on the front they all fit ok now.
Thank you for your help.

locket said:
I got my son to put them on. You were right he was putting the back handles on the front they all fit ok now.
Thank you for your help.
*phew* :D

For a moment I thought all my earlier advice was wrong! ;) Thanks for clearing it up! ;)

What I want to know is WHY do they have different length front/rear door handles? :)

EDIT: any chance of some pics? :)

I'm glad mine is an Elegance, I think they'd look worse white.

NW_Merc said:
So am I right in saying that the W210 handles will fit the W202?
The pre-facelift W210 used W202 door handles, so the factory-painted facelift handles work perfectly on the W202.

The end-pieces need to be painted separately though due to technical reasons (also price ;) ).

Hey shude, I'm getting ready for the door handle mod.... what are the part numbers I need for polar white?

I cant find the number for the rear pieces for the handles....

Any help much appreciated :)

NW_Merc I PM'd you the other week when you asked for the numbers - didnt you get them?

A 208 760 00 70 [####] : rear door handle : £14.11 +VAT
A 210 760 12 70 [####] : front door handle : £12.45 +VAT
A 210 766 03 56 [####] : rear end piece : £5.39 +VAT

Crome Strips:

A 208 760 01 70 [####] : front right door handle : £23.64
A 208 760 02 70 [####] : front left door handle : £23.64
A 210 760 14 70 [####] : rear right door handle : £?? prolly the same as above
A 210 766 02 56 [####] : rear right covering : £8.43
A 210 760 13 70 [####] : rear left door handle : £??
A 210 766 01 56 [####] : rear left covering : £8.43

[####] = you paint colour

Not sure what the paint number Polar white is though, im sure someone out there will know...

Last edited:
Yes thanks, I got your PM, I put the numbers into mercedes parts.co.uk and it came up with all of them except the rear pieces.

Would it be worth ringing the stealers, or will they have the same information?

When I got mine I gave them the numbers and they ordered them no trouble, should be the same over the phone.

Had to be shipped in from Germany mind...

Ive found that nothing works on that parts site :(

What would be the part numbers for non chrome 904 Midnight Blue?

A 208 760 00 70 [####] : rear door handle : £14.11 +VAT X2
A 210 760 12 70 [####] : front door handle : £12.45 +VAT X2
A 210 766 03 56 [####] : rear end piece : £5.39 +VAT X2

I am assuming these will work on an Australian Right hand drive w202?

Thanks.

What would be the part numbers for non chrome 904 Midnight Blue?

A 208 760 00 70 [####] : rear door handle : £14.11 +VAT X2
A 210 760 12 70 [####] : front door handle : £12.45 +VAT X2
A 210 766 03 56 [####] : rear end piece : £5.39 +VAT X2

I am assuming these will work on an Australian Right hand drive w202?

Thanks.

Can someone please help me find the correct part numbers for an Australian Right hand drive non chrome door handle update W202 colour midnight blue 904. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom