Painted door handles mod (pre-facelift SLK)

simonl

Car
SLK230
Got my door handles colour coded today. Looks much better IMO. Here's some piccy's.

I also had the plastic cover that goes in the driver's lock barrel done. I have piccys on a flash card but my computer isn't playing fair :(

pre_handle_1.jpg

painted_handle_1.jpg

pre_handle_2.jpg

painted_handle_2.jpg

sym

MB Enthusiast
Car
W204 C220CDI Sport
Very nice ! Makes a big difference. You had them painted, I assume, rather than ordering replacement handles ?

My replacement handles are taking ages, and I will have to have the front door end pieces painted anyway, so maybe painting will be a better option !!

S.

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Simon,

Whoa, that looks sweeeeeeet :D Excellent mod there mate :rock:

A couple of questions...

Did you buy new colour coded handles or get the originals re-painted?

How much for the job?

That really makes the car look better. :bannana:

S.

OP
OP
simonl

simonl

Car
SLK230
Cheers guys :)

I got the original ones painted. From some related posts it seemed the stubs could be a hassle to get hold of. The parts guy at my local stealer didn't seem to be able to get part numbers either :rolleyes:

The job took a day and cost me £80 from the local MB bodyshop.

One slight boo-boo by them: I specifically asked for the lock cover insert to be painted. This was written on the job card and highlighted and the guy doing the job "didn't see it", so I had to return later to pick it up. I had to tear myself away from work and go for a drive in the sunshine :D

Now I have to decide what's next. I can see this modding lark becoming a wee bit expensive. I hope you're all proud of yourselves! :mad: :p

Shude

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK55 AMG
Originally posted by simonl
The job took a day and cost me £80 from the local MB bodyshop.
£80? The pre-painted ones are only £15 each! I guess for an SLK the difference is marginal but if you have 4 handles to replace then it's obviously a LOT cheaper.

Looks great though!

I suggest next jobs include:

1. facelift door mirrors, wing repeaters removed, holes welded up and painted. :D

2. get a set of oem facelift sideskirts and while they're being painted have the front and rear lower bumper pieces painted too. :D

Well, you might as well finish the facelift look you started with the door handles! :D

mic280

Car
c280 1995
Originally posted by simonl
Cheers guys :)

I
Now I have to decide what's next. I can see this modding lark becoming a wee bit expensive. I hope you're all proud of yourselves! :mad: :p

It 's only the beginning and I guess no one told you that it's habit forming. Once you started there's no turning back and it's worse than any drug on the street. :p :D :bannana: ;)

Koolvin

Administrator
Staff member
Car
W168, W169 & S202
nice job! was even better to see your car in real life at the GTG!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom