Painted my Callipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sam12

Car
R231 2013 SL63
Hi All,

This is my first post of the forum so be nice! I have just got myself a 2010 E class coupe with some very rusty brakes and hubs, so i decided to paint them. I could not make my mind up between red or silver so did both in the end! I have decided I prefer the silver and will be painted all of them silver! Thought I would share if anyone was thinking of doing the same thing. Feel free to ask questions.

Cheers,
Sam

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

I think I would sand off the paint on the wheel mating surface just to stop you finding a wheel stuck fast while trying to change it one dark wet night !
I prefer the red which I have on my CLK but thats obviously a purely personal thing ......

I think I would sand off the paint on the wheel mating surface just to stop you finding a wheel stuck fast while trying to change it one dark wet night !
I prefer the red which I have on my CLK but thats obviously a purely personal thing ......

Agreed you should never paint this surface :thumb: I colour matched my calipers in Azurite blue when they were refurbed :thumb:

I painted mine black, not because I want them to be seen, just to keep the rust away.

I also paint the outer edges of the brake discs together with the the inner diameter, but not the mating surface with the wheel. Again, this is to keep the rust away.

You can keep the alloys imaculate but if the discs are all rusty around the edges and in the centre it detracts from the appearance.

Good job, Sam.

Looks a lot better. :thumb:

You can apply a thin layer of copper grease to the contact surface of the wheel before bolting it on - this will stop it sticking.

:thumb:

Agreed you should never paint this surface :thumb: I colour matched my calipers in Azurite blue when they were refurbed :thumb:

flanaia1 I didnt know how to get in touch with you. Are you a indy in south yorkshire?

Thanks

flanaia1 I didnt know how to get in touch with you. Are you a indy in south yorkshire?

Thanks

We were but unfortunately had to give it up due to the ill health of the owner

Looking good.

Did you prep and paint them in situ? Did you paint them with a brush and smooth hammerite or unbranded similar jollup?

....looks like ive got myself another job to do:rolleyes:, looks a clean result:thumb:

Yep just did one after the other. Gave them a good scrub with a wire brush and wire wool to get rid of the rust, brush painted some brake calliper paint which i had purchased from ebay ( I have used the same paint before on my previous mini which lasted well for over 2 years so bought the same except in silver)

I painted mine black, not because I want them to be seen, just to keep the rust away.

Surely it is a cast item and not going to rust away in the life of the car.

As already stated, it's for appearance only.

With 5 spoke alloys a lot of the disc is on show. If the centre and edge of the disc is thick rust it detracts from the appearance of the wheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom