Painting a bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marty359

Car
BMW 330d with indicators and Jeep Renegade also with indicators
Obviously my parking sensors are not loud enough :rolleyes: I could of got a smart repair but I wanted to have a go at it myself.

Its been sanded, filled and primed but not been sanded after the last primer coat. What's the best procedure to finish it off?

Sand it now with 1200 grit wet and dry until smooth then several coats of paint leaving each coat to dry in between then 2 coats of lacquer? all traces of wax and polish have been removed from the bumper but what about where the spray is blended into the original paintwork? the only thing i'm concerned about is when the basecoat and lacquer is applied and it not sticking to the undamaged paintwork.

Step 5 look back at finished work and call smart repair guy :)

I could of got a smart repair but I wanted to have a go at it myself. :fail

Its been sanded, filled and primed but not been sanded after the last primer coat. What's the best procedure to finish it off?

Step 5 look back at finished work and call smart repair guy :)

I could give you the benefit of a few years of training, and several years experience, I'd obviously need to know what paint you were using, solvent or WB, what set up you have on your base coat and clear coat guns, how fast the hardener is in your clear coat, how big your IR lamps are etc, etc. :confused: Just a guess, but I'm thinking the colour code is 381 ?

SMART is definately not an inferior repair, but having a go without knowing how to do it is definately not SMART :crazy:

So Step 5 looks like a brainwave to me :thumb:

Although to be honest, if you called me, at best I'd charge extra to remove the previous repair, and what would have been a small repair, will now be almost all of the bumper corner and priced accordingly. At worst, I might even turn it down entirely. Just saying, but if I'd been doing it from scratch, the total repair would have been no bigger then the whole of your first picture.

Car owners generally never cease to amaze, spend £xx,000 on a car, and rather than spend £150 to £200 to have a repair done properly, think they become experts after watching a couple of You Tube clips, and the advice of a YTS boy / girl at Halfrauds :doh:

By the way, I've got a bucket handle tear in my cartilege in my right knee. Doesn't hurt all the time, my op isn't for a few months yet, but I was wondering if there is an orthapeadic surgeon on here who could give me a few tips on how to do it myself as I have some small scissors and a sharp knife. How hard could it be :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The lad's had a go at something he's not done before and all you've done is gone on a sarcastic rant about what is obviously your job when all he wanted was a bit of help and advice.

Sand smooth what you have done. then a couple of coats of colour and lacquer...to blend in with the rest of the bumper...don't mask it off, use free hand and you'll not see it (too much).

It that doesn't work...take it off and bring to your local spray guy.

Good luck.

BTW Blue Moon, knees are easy, it's hearts that are difficult...HTH.

No sarcasm. It wasn't intended as a pop at the OP, it was generally made as a wider observation. Why do so many people think they can do something they've not done before, on what may well be their pride and joy ? The OP has got halfway through the repair, and now realised he's worried about what to do next. But good luck with it though :thumb: If Sunday honesty offends, my apologies.

Most of what I said is totally serious. Except the bit about my my knee, had that done by an expert surgeon privately.

Best advice: Step 5 is a brainwave. Call someone who know's what they're doing.

Last edited:
Ha ha ha what a t!t, is your knee giving you some stick this morning?

Btw I'm pouring paint onto a folded piece of a4 paper and blowing it on with a straw :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom