Painting a W124... how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gpaolo

Car
Mercedes W124.021 200E
Hi all,
I'm the one who was going to take his Euro W124 200E from Spain to UK...
Now, three days before leaving, I had a small (stupid) accident and I've got a significant damage to the panel of the rear door that would be better to be fixed.
Since there are also other scratches around the car (this one is completely mine, but all the other damages were made by nice Spaniards who didn't see my parked car...) I was thinking to completely paint it.
I have the chance to delay the trip and leave now with my second car, leaving this one here for a couple of more weeks, and have it fixed in Spain, but I have to decide fast (to change the ferry booking).
I've been looking on internet about how much could cost to repaint a car, but now I'm more confused than before.
So my question is: to repair the door panel and repaint the car, how much could I expect to pay in UK? Do you know any good place to take the car close to Wendover/Aylesbury?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would say to do it properly between £2000 and £5000 depending where you are.

To do an entire car properly takes a lot of time - it has to be stripped and prepared, then sprayed, then flatted in places and then mopped. I would say you are looking at about £2.5 - 3.5k for a decent job, more for a top quality one. From experience, you might be better off dealing with the scars that need painting and touching up or polishing out smaller scratches, it will save a fair bit and keep the original paint.

Near Aylesbury I can recommend DandMclassiccarrestoration- they did my Allard (on the website) and have done bits and pieces as well as being half way through my W114 coupe restoration.

Thank you all for your answer!
It is a lot of money, as I feared...
On the other hand, it seems a job done a lot better than what it is usually done here in Spain, and I cannot get a quotation here until Monday -the day that I have to leave.
Charles Morgan, that place you are suggesting seems very good. Just a (maybe stupid) question: how could I go back to Wendover from there? Do they usually have some kind of courtesy car service, or do they take you...? I don't know how it works in UK, here they just let you finding a transportation by yourself...

Get it done in Spain almost any work to a car is always far cheaper in Europe than it is in the UK

Yes, I noticed that... but here, for example, they would just put spray the car and put it inside the oven, which is what it has been called a "cheap and nasty job".

Yes, I noticed that... but here, for example, they would just put spray the car and put it inside the oven, which is what it has been called a "cheap and nasty job".

Pay a bit more and have it done properly, will be far cheaper than having it done here.

Ok, you convinced me. I will go with the other car and I will leave this one here to have it fixed.

You can buy a lot of Euro with your Sterling these days so you might get better value in Spain. Also, if you are handy and can strip and refit lights , trims, bumpers then you can save on labour costs.

Well yes, but actually all I have are euros and I can get very few sterling with my euros :D
I'm moving from Spain to UK... this is why my cars are here (in Spain).
Just a huge amount of bad luck to ruin the car three days before taking it away...

Opps, sorry. Definitely get it done in Spain so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom