Painting brake discs??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting... out of curiosity, what would thoughts be around using one of those home-plating kits to zinc coat it (or some other metal that would inhibit rust?)

It wouldn't affect heat dissipation, and the contact area would wear down to the brake disc within one or two applications of the brake pads...

M.

Interesting... out of curiosity, what would thoughts be around using one of those home-plating kits to zinc coat it (or some other metal that would inhibit rust?)

It wouldn't affect heat dissipation, and the contact area would wear down to the brake disc within one or two applications of the brake pads...

M.

Well, it seems someone offers the service so I'm guessing it can't be a bad thing.

Click

There are plenty of businesses offering it; got to be more durable than painting too.

Last edited:
Well, it seems someone offers the service so I'm guessing it can't be a bad thing.

Click

There are plenty of businesses offering it; got to be more durable than painting too.

May actually try that... once the dust coats the edges it wont look so... shiny... and may actually look good..

Click

I am assuming this does not adversely affect the co-efficient of friction?

I assume it may... but only for the first few "brakes"... then the coating wears off on the contact surface...

Seems like a brilliant idea... can't immagine why more disks aren't coated...

I'm no expert - I'm just posting what I find elsewhere with this.

As with all new braking materials though I would bed them in before getting all Lewis Hamilton with them :) The coating will wear off very quickly and you'll end up with a normal disc surface with edges and centres that are well protected against corrosion. I can't see a downside.

Other than the gold zinc coating......:crazy:

Incidentally, my neighbour has an 11 plate Audi TT S-Line ... due to the design of the wheels the partially rusted 'hubs' of the brake disks are clearly visible, and look awful as the car is otherwise immaculate.

Well circumstances made the decision for me as in the end the discs and pads arrived only 2 hours before they were due to be fitted and therefore I didn't have time to paint them.

Some of you may remember I had upgraded my discs to crossed drilled and grooved discs last time around and I have been delighted with them. Although they are the same diameter as standard (288?)they are a bit thicker.

When my pads were removed (the wear light had come on and they were truly shot) we measured the discs and they were down to zero wear left, however, they had driven 70,000 miles !! Given they had performed so well and lasted so well I bought the same again (from a firm in Ireland) who do the cross drilling etc.

The photos show the old discs after 70k and the new discs, this time with Mintex pads which were recommended to me.

Last edited:
I have AMG wheels on my CLK that have wide spokes, so I painted my hubs with black hammerite smooth, and painted the brake callipers silver with 2 coats on each, has made the wheels look so much neater, and is very easy once the wheels are off.

Reggie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom