painting exhaust pipes + wishbones etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
hi

has anyone ever painted their exhaust pipes?
has anyone ever painted their wishbones? (and other similar black items)

i'm going to waxoil the underside of my SL before its put back on the road and would also like to tackle the above items at the same time.

i read high temp paint is best for the exhaust pipes, but should i treat the rust 1st? i know it will still continue to rust from inside but will look a little nicer etc for the time it will take.

i guess hammerite or similar is OK for wishbones (obviously ensuring the paint is only applied onto the metal and not bushes etc!)

or am i barking up the wrong tree? this is something that i'd plan to do in a months or so time

cheers

derek

Last edited:
I just went over most of the suspension arms in waxoyl, staying away from the drain holes - i once read about an SL that went around a corner in a rally and his suspension collapsed... why.. wishbone has rotted from inside out due to drain hole being blocked...

you can paint suspension parts with whatever you like, but as they take a hammering from road dirt, something tough like smoothrite is probably the best idea, personally i've never seen any paint stick well to exhausts though, manifolds get way to hot and the rest of the pipe isnt really visible, if you want something on the manifold to make it look nice and protect it get it ceramic coated, i'd leave the rest as it is or buy it a stainless one.

You can get exhaust paint from 'Frost'. Same or similar to that used for exhaust manifolds.

Use the black waxoil underneath the car and it will look fantastic and will save you paintining it.

Lynall

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom