Painting over Gorilla Grab Adhesive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
I used this...:

http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-oo4zo...ack_Front_RGB__69276.1463160614.1280.1280.jpg

(Gorilla Grab Adhesive)

...to piece together a few broken concrete slabs in our back garden.

This worked well, however the silicon is white and stands out against the grey concrete.

Can anyone advise what outdoor paint I should be using for painting over the dried silicon?

And, it needs to be animal safe, as we have a dog and a cat....

Thank you.

I used this...to piece together a few broken concrete slabs in our back garden.

YOU DID WHAT??? :eek:

I'm not familiar with the adhesive or even know if it's silicone based.

If is is then you'll struggle to find a paint that will stick to it long term.

Maybe any masonry paint (Sandtex) will do the job if you intend to paint the complete path.

Could you trim the adhesive out with a sharp blade and fill the joint with Bal exterior grout?

Last edited by a moderator:
OR, rub in a bit of dry cement dust, and damp it a bit? After maybe trimming off excess adhesive.

YOU DID WHAT??? :eek:

I'm not familiar with the adhesive or even know if it's silicone based.

If is is then you'll struggle to find a paint that will stick to it long term.

Maybe any masonry paint (Sandtex) will do the job if you intend to paint the complete path.

Could you trim the adhesive out with a sharp blade and fill the joint with Bal exterior grout?

Silicone and expanding foam Ant, you know the drill.

Silicone and expanding foam Ant, you know the drill.

Haha. I knew when this thread popped to the top of the new posts with your name on it that expanding foam and/or silicone would be involved. :D

Well I thought it was silicon-based... not sure what its made off, either way I would like to paint over it... I thought it would become dirty over time and blend in, but no... it's bright white even weeks after it dried... :mad:

Mrs MJ is not best pleased with the result.

Post a pic if you can.

Problem with painting any concrete is that you just end up having to maintain it all the time. Unless you are wanting to just paint the adhesive?

I'm guessing any flexible exterior paint will do MJ.

Wondering if it's worth a phone call to the technical helpline at Gorilla. They'll hopefully be able to recommend a product.

This is what it looks like:

Last edited:
Ooo, that's bad, you need to paint over that ;)

You know what the caption is, don't you...: :D

holmes2.jpg

No (Sh*t) Peter?

Remove coping stones and have them refitted and repointed.

Or cut out excess adhesive with blade and repoint joints.

Personally I'd dig out the Gorilla stuff hit your local builders merchant and buy a small bag of ready mix concrete, they should do a couple of quids worth that would be enough and re-point it. If those are the only two joints then 10 mins will do it. Don't make the mix too wet and don't add washing up liquid to the mix if someone says to, it weakens the mix.

Paint will never take and after the winter rain / frost / snow you'll be back to square one this time next year.

What MJ has failed to tell us is that he lives in a Pixie Fortress and that's the 2km perimeter wall so over 2,222 coping stones to repoint. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom