Painting steel wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
I have a set of 15 inch steel wheels for my W114 coupe which are in need of a paint, superficial rust and all sound. Ideally I'd just send them off for powder coating but I've decided to avoid spending more money than I need to (boy, it's mounting up), and as they will be covered by my wheel trims it seems a waste to do them expensively. I don't really want to devote a lot of time to clearing all the rust and prepping them for paint, my carpal tunnel syndrome is now making virtually all tasks involving gripping quite tough.

I did one in Hammerite straight to rust but I don't like the result. Any other suggestions for quick and easy titivation?

Last edited:
On van wheels I simply gave the flaky bits a good scrub with a wire brush, then a light sanding and then spray with AutoSmart silver alloy paint which costs very little yet goes a long way.

Charles you could buy a sanding wheel attachment for an electric drill which should avoid your gripping issue. I also have a wire wheel attachment which does the same job as a wire brush. Cheap and pain free too.

I think SPX has the best idea for me now. Mike, drills are horrid for my hand alas - they are exerting torque which moves them away from the object you are trying to sand, so you end up having to grip and push in order to stop them bouncing, which really is horridly painful now.

Charles good point. Will you have an op to overcome the problem? I know people who have had it with a successful outcome.

I had the op on my right hand two years ago - the left needs it doing but it is 6 weeks without being able to drive which is a royal pita round here. The op has certainly reduced the pain and lack of grip but the hand is noticeably weaker. Anyway, neither here nor there, just keen to minimise use to things that absolutely need doing well (or badly as normal).

Missed this sorry,

Lee (SPX) seems to offer the best solution, especially given your (hopefully temporary) circumstances.

The pressure washer sandblaster which Graeme mentions is an option, but is unbelievably messy. And will be a nightmare to clean up the area afterwards. Trust me, I know this, which is why I don't do anything this way anymore.

If the finish doesn't have to be perfect, wire brush them, roughly sand them and then use the Auto-Smart paint, though they actually do one specifically for steel wheels now, which may be better?

Last edited:
I did one in Hammerite straight to rust but I don't like the result. Any other suggestions for quick and easy titivation?

I'd wash them well, scrape off flaky bits, key all over with 120 grit paper and hand paint in black Smootherite.
Preferably after the old tyres have been removed.

Charles, you really do need to get those wrists sorted. I had both mine done some 10 years ago and haven't regretted it. Only takes 15 minutes each wrist, but don't do them both together. You will need to have one free hand!!!!

I think you will find that POR 15 will give a much better finish and will last a lot longer. But follow the instructions carefully and buy the small tins. Works best on rusty metal and dries better in warm wet conditions. Once dried it will be rock hard and you cant even scratch it with a screw driver. Nothing beats acid dipping or media blasting on old steel wheels though.

POR15 is excellent and has been used for all most of my car's vulnerable areas. But this exercise is about quick titivation for things that are very sturdy (so superficial rust not a problem) and hidden away.

Given that the wheels will be hidden under the hub caps (which will be exquisitely painted), I'd just get the worst of the rust off then apply a £5 tin of underseal with a half inch brush. Job done.

I was reminded by oldguy57's post that I had some spray POR15 top coat, which having used one of the plastic rust remover attachments on my drill to clear it off, primer then POR15 semi-gloss and so far three wheels looking much better than they did. They aren't perfect but presentable and as Bellow says they will be hidden.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom