Pairing a Nokia N95 via a SAP Phone cradle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Taff

I can pair my N95, the PIN code seems to work, I can get the phone to accept the Merc, Merc accepts phone and I get the ascending tune that the SAP handbook tells you to expect when the pairing has worked.

I therefore must be close, but what happens next is very frustrating. Having paired I get a "Wait" message which I presume is the start of the phone book being copied. It then asks me to switch the phone on - but the phone is already on! It's as if the connection is being dropped for some reason. Is it something to do with the phone going to screen saver? Can anyone please help me whilst I still have hair?!!

The phonebook only downloads when you dial '0000 <dial>' on the COMAND, so its not that.

The raising tone suggests that it is paired correctly.

Have you set the connection on the phone to accept connections without asking for a number (I think you have to do that on N95)
Also, it may be worth updating the phone to the latest software, download it from www.nokia.com

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

You sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm going to sound a bit thick, but please bear with me as I know that there is something subtle that I'm still not doing and I'm going to work through things methodically and one by one eliminate them.

Am I right in assuming downloading the phonebook sounds as if it's the icing on the cake - i.e. I should still be able to make a phone call even without having done this? If so I'll ignore this for now as I think I'm falling over earlier than this.

I have checked my Nokia software and it is the latest available (one of my boxes ticked!!).

Next is understanding the "setting the connection on the phone to accept connections" bit you refer to. Please could you expand on this? I've set phone as follows:

Bluetooth: On
My phone's visibility: Shown to all
Remote SIM mode: On

The Merc finds the phone which I then select from the list, I enter the passcode and I get the ascending tone (I know this is the right tone as I've keyed the wrong one with fat fingers so have also heard the other!).

I now have a paired device called "MB telephone" on my phone which I've set as "authorised".

My phone then comes up with a message saying "Activating Remote SIM Mode" and then displays "Remote SIM". The car now says "Please Wait".

It's at this point it seems to go wrong. The "Remote SIM" stops being displayed on the phone and the car says "Please activate phone" (and I get all irrate!).

Any further advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Taff.

I have an N95 and when trying to pair to some kits the software in it won`t syncronise the numbers. Try going to contacts, then options, mark all, send business card. It will then ask you to select how to send, select bluetooth and select the MB kit. See if that sends your contacts to the carkit.

Bob

Download the app from the Nokia site for Nokias 710 car kit, install it onto the phone and set it to run automatically.

Delete the handset from the car and then pair them again, making sure the app is running.

This will allow all N series phones to sync contacts properly.

Thanks for the response.

I feel I'm getting close, so hang in there for me.

I received my work phone today. It's a Nokia E51. I used the SAP/bluetooth, and the phone and car paired easily. I was able to make a call by dialling a number manually, and I was also able to pick up the phone book on the car system. It works perfectly and has restored my faith in being able to read and follow simple instructions

Meanwhile the N95 continues to drive me nuts!! I couldn't find a Nokia 710 car kit on the Nokia website, but could find a 610 - am I being daft? Should it do the same thing or is there a link you could send me please? Anyway I downloaded the contact download application on to the phone and set the application running and tried to pair again. Unfortunately I still have the same issue - the phone and car pair ok (ascending tone), but the phone doesn't stay on "Remote SIM" for long enough for me to do anything and the car then says "Please activate phone".

Bob - thanks for the tip. I tried to send contacts via Business Card, but presummably because the "Remote SIM" keeps dropping I can't get the phone and car to stay paired long enough for this to happen.

Richard - thanks for the tip. I now know how to update the software on my phone.

Bugger - I must be close but there must be something extra I need to do with this N95 that I don't need to do with the E51. Please keep firing suggestions folks.......

Sussed it at last.

The problem wasn't me, or indeed any of the suggestions I have received on this site, it's the fact that I'm with '3' which isn't compatible!!:(

Thanks for your help guys and be careful which phone company you sign up to if you want to use your phone in the car.

Sussed it at last.

The problem wasn't me, or indeed any of the suggestions I have received on this site, it's the fact that I'm with '3' which isn't compatible!!:(

Thanks for your help guys and be careful which phone company you sign up to if you want to use your phone in the car.

This is well known at the forum, a pity nobody figured out this could have been your problem too.

You could change to the BT HF adapter but with 3 it would not be good either since the phone antenna would be used and you would not get reliable connection everywhere and even if you have good coverage from 3, the power consumption in UMTS mode would kill you battery when it isn't connected to a charger (an issue with BT HF mode with GSM phones too but significantly worse with 3G, those who are not on 3, can switch the phone to GSM only to fix this issue at the car).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom