Palmers W124 Superturbodiesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmer

Car
OM606 W124 Saloon.
Following on from my previous thread - which has had all of the photos removed (thanks photobucket!)

A brief history:

I acquired the car approx a year ago. A bog standard looking mercedes W124. It housed a 3.0 OM606 turbodiesel, coupled with a large borgwarner S300 turbo, and a very mean 8mm dieselmeken fuel pump. The drivetrain was a 6 speed swapped from an E270 CDI, with a custom clutch and flywheel.

The car on this set up ran 562whp. It kept disintegrating prop doughnuts. So i sent it back for the large(st) diff with quaife internals, and heavy duty shafts. This made the car very scary in second gear, as it seemed to put down the power and access it alot easier.

I had such fun giving phenominally powerful / expensive motors a shock. Soon it developed a knock and without warning shot a rod at cruising speed.

I had a new engine fitted and took it off the road for winter. She was wastegated at 300whp on the dot, (362bhp) i personally thought it was more, but i guess its the delivery of the large turbo... nothing... nothing... 'oh god my face!'

I debated selling, and even advertised her for sale. Few bites but nothing major. Secretly i didnt want to let her go. There is just something addictive about a superturbodiesel. The old school diesel knock and rattles - yet the butter smooth revving throughout the range. These engines love to rev, and sound phenominal! Every one loves a big turbo spool!

I sent her off to my brothers business. She had the full AMG gen 1 kit (including ducktail) fitted and almost a full respray. 18'' geniune staggered monoblock wheels and the windows moderately tinted.

She currently stands as so:

x6cz4Sq.jpg

oWwkWfp.jpg

YWnPfJg.jpg

MWB1Z7F.jpg

0bMTu5W.jpg

Theres going to be quite a few updates in the close future - suspension, maintenance, a few more body tweeks and the one im most looking foward too - the priority valve (quickspool) manifold to help spool that big turbo up! I will also have a pump tweek and dyno at the same time. Maybe not as much as the test car ran (611whp) though! As i want to keep this engine...

New engine and diff mounts. Diff ones were well worn:

rG5ZLB9.jpg

Also had fresh diff and gearbox oil.

The SL500 springs have had a coil lopped off the rear. The original springs were extremely tired.

How she sits currently

cc9k0oQ.jpg

I altered my plans slightly and sent her to dpuk ahead of schedule.

I was the first customer for their 'anti jerk kit'

My car has always had really bad diesel jerk. Its the only achilles heel in the superturbodiesel world; a major drawback - it drives like garbage at slow speeds.

It basically doesnt like small throttle movements in lower gears, and to stop a jerk you either need to clutch in, or apply a blob more throttle. It makes it a ball ache to drive around towns or in traffic.

Ive become so used to avoiding the jerk that in reality im the only person who could drive it. It was even jerking on the dyno when it arrived to dpuk!

Speaking of the dyno... i did have a mild pump tune as well. This pump is capable of far more than the engine can handle. So it was only tweaked a little:

mAeff96.jpg

Im quite happy with 400whp!

On the road it feels mega. The gears are much longer with a few extra revs so it can really open up that turbo. It pulls extremely hard now, and second gear has some kick too. The comedy smoke has also mostly gone. Under heavy load in 5th or 6th its as clean as a whistle. Only emits a big chug just before the turbo gulps.

I also had a good nosey at their demo car. A project that was built in 8 days for roadkill at northampton. The Vin Diesel (yes... its a diesel charger....)

Q44Nv3U.jpg

9GUvVlt.jpg

Looks great! I follow DPUK too.

Are you planning on lowering your 124 a bit? Its screaming for it imo but that is probably just me!

Looks great! I follow DPUK too.

Are you planning on lowering your 124 a bit? Its screaming for it imo but that is probably just me!

Eventually. The wheels are a little bit wider than the arches, so any lower will scrape the arches. I need to space the arches first like the AMG.

Deffo needs to be lower though i agree.

what's the top speed on this hot lookin' biage?
W124 is a very nice looking design when it's trimmed with AMG plastics.

nip n tuck her closer to the ground and she will look even better

Leave it high, you are going to need the travel for public roads.

I remember your original thread - the car must be a hoot on the road :D
Speaking of the dyno... i did have a mild pump tune as well. This pump is capable of far more than the engine can handle. So it was only tweaked a little:

mAeff96.jpg
That's one peaky motor! Must be like driving a low revving 2-stroke :D

what's the top speed on this hot lookin' biage?
W124 is a very nice looking design when it's trimmed with AMG plastics.

nip n tuck her closer to the ground and she will look even better
It hits the limiter in 6th at a gps speed of 153mph

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Glad this is back, looking great!

Of what does DPUK's 'A.J.' kit comprise?

Thanks!

Its an oil feed like from the filter housing that drips oil onto the pump rack. It makes the rack move smoothly under small throttle movements. There is a vid on their facebook page. As well as my dyno vid :)

So a little update.

Went for a nice drive one Sunday. Pulled out of a junction, went for second, planted the throttle, it hooked and blew a shaft. Snapped at the hub end. Blew the end section out through my wheel and center cap!

PnbgwI7.jpg

Obligatory snow pic

4I8DIxs.jpg

New shaft arrived. Didnt realise how hench they were!

2tPLLlh.jpg

Finally got round to getting the shaft changed.

Old one, proper fooked!

HGUy5GW.jpg

This also seems to have cured some of the whine ive presumed to have been diff at low speeds.

Shes filthy, but shes running sweet

6bEPieH.jpg

What an absolute weapon... So tempted to STD mine but I need it as a semi decent mpg daily.

Fantastic looking car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom