Panamera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Has anyone owned one? What was your experience?

Ideally 2010-2014 ish

at first I wasn’t a fan of the styling, but recently my opinion has changed 🤔

Last edited:
Petrol or oil burner ?

If diesel i can give you a few pointers regarding what to look for engine , transmission , interior wise as they are pretty similar to my Cayenne.

K

Petrol or oil burner ?

If diesel i can give you a few pointers regarding what to look for engine , transmission , interior wise as they are pretty similar to my Cayenne.

K
Diesel most likely but would be open to a v8

Diesel most likely but would be open to a v8

The diesel is the VW setup with Aisin transmission.

It's not bad. However I think of that generation - and for the money - BMW do a better job with their 3.0 litre and ZF 8 speed transmission - as used in the 535d and 640d. The BMW drivetrain is sublime for a diesel. The VW based one competent rather than brilliant.

The Panamera 4s is a great car. My good friend has one and it’s really really well built. 330 odd horsepower but feels more. His had been utterly reliable in what’s now 100k on the clock.
If they made a proper 5 seater I’d have a one tomorrow.

V6 diesel is , as mentioned, from VW and is super quiet and smooth for an oil burner but not without fault(s) , coolant leaks in the V are common and ÂŁÂŁ to fix due to the labour involved. They can come from the EGR or from a vacuum operated coolant valve next to the EGR. Engine oil leaking from beneath the bellhousing will possibly be the crankshaft seal or from a poorly sealed rear engine casing , both repairs require the engine / gearbox / front subframe to be removed which can run into five figures depending on who does the work. It is awkward to see the bellhousing to check for oil with the undertray in the way but it is possible if you know exactly where to look, on the Cayenne anyway.

Aisin gearbox is slightly better than a 7G of similar vintage but not a patch on the ZF fitted to BM`s , 120k service intervals are handy.

Interior quality is great but a little "creaky" , not "rattly" , and possibly the quietest car i have ever been in on the motorway even with the fat 21`s.

Transfer cases can also be problematic on the 4WD (Cayenne) models , quick test is brisk acceleration with almost full lock and if the car seems to be "skipping" the transfer box is possibly on the way out.

Cabin is a button fest and a bit overly complicated , why have one button when you can fit five to do a similar job.

RFL is ÂŁ300 for the D but nearly double that for the petrol , MPG is decent for such a heavy vehicle with 28 town / 40 motorway.

K

Quite a small boot just in case thats a factor for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom