Panasonic orders staff to buy £1,000 in products

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Things must be are getting really grim!

"Its electronic gadgetry is gathering dust on the shelves of high street stores, nobody is buying new fridges and the mountain of unsold plasma televisions is growing by the day.

However, in desperation, Panasonic has hit on the perfect counter-attack against the consumer slump: it has ordered every member of staff to go out and buy £1,000 of Panasonic products.

Large swathes of corporate Japan are expected to follow suit, either by directly commanding or indirectly “pressuring” employees to divert part of their salaries towards the goods that their employers produce.

Toyota has already tacitly applauded a “voluntary” scheme in which 2,200 of its top brass decided to buy new Toyota cars, and the president of Fujitsu recently e-mailed 100,000 staff and gently pointed out how nice it would be if “employee ownership rates” of Fujitsu PCs and mobile phones were a little higher. "

"The emergency directive, some Panasonic employees say, is a particularly cruel blow: the same 10,000 managers now being commanded to fork out for unwanted electronics were told two weeks ago that their salaries and bonuses would also be slashed.

The company itself is staring down the barrel of one of its worst annual earnings performances ever, with a Y350 billion flood of red ink expected by the end of the year."

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/markets/japan/article5723942.ece

Oh dear.
Having decimated our electronic industry (remember Bush, Ecko, Ferguson, ITT, Alba, Hacker, Marconiphone, Roberts, etc....etc....) things are not all going to plan.
I wont be able to sleep tonight...........

Where do I sign up to get me a Bullet train. :D

Interesting strategy I have to say. I wonder how legal it is?

Im guesing they can only "persudae" those people who ghave to compete in the office environment for promotions and bonus payments to go buy stuff, the ordinary people down on the factory floor are probably safe.

I watched that "How Do They Do That" program on telly the other night about how they build plasma tellys, factory was in korea or taiwan or sowmhere and they interviewd the Quality control guy, he said it was his ambition to "one day own a plasma tv" but he had only been working there 5 years, i guess its takes a long time for the average joe to save up for a big telly over there.

Panasonic would do well if they made more of 80 series (2008 model) Plasma TVs - there has been almost panic buying of those a supply has dried up.

I think it's a good thing to encourage employees to buy their own firms' products. Many years ago I worked for Ford at Halewood and most employees drove Ford cars, even though they weren't discounted very much. At the nearby Standard Triumph works, few employees drove Triumphs or even any other Leyland Group cars.

Last edited:
So carrying that over to here........

All investment banks now insist that employees invest £10,000 into the chairmans Ponzi scheme....

Well I just hope some of said employees plump for one of their HDD-DVD recorders. They then might find out just how crap it is. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom