Panasonic Plasma TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Bought a Panasonic TXP42G10B Plasma in April 09 from an on-line retailer. Didn't buy an extended warranty as 1 - I don't normally and 2 - I thought I was buying a quality product which I expected to be trouble free for several years.

Over the last few months it has developed a hum/buzz which can be heard over "normal" volume TV programs. The hum/buzz isn't loud enough to be heard from the arm chair at all times but is still there - can be heard if you put your head behind the TV. Usually worse just after it has been turned on, probably for about 15/20 mins.

Phoned the retailer who said sorry - out of warranty - try Panasonic, they are usually quite good with "good will" repairs. I then advised that this was an expensive TV which I did not expect to go wrong in 18 months and raised the "sale of goods act" Of course this put the guy on the defensive and he claimed that he would "support any claim" but the "sale of goods act" doesn't allow me a free repair, only a percentage of the repair cost - he must have a different version of the act especially for retailers:rolleyes:

I tried giving Panasonic a call and they gave me phone numbers for two "local" approved repairers, both about 40 miles away. I then asked whether Panasonic were able to make any contribution to the repair cost. They said that they had a "cost care assistance" scheme where they "may" contribute towards the cost of repairs - they would need an estimate from the repairer and a copy of the purchase invoice.

The problem with the Panasonic route is the hassle/possible time delay between call out, estimate, "cost care" approval & then repair.

The retailer route could be difficult also if the retailer has his own version of the "sale of goods act"

Anyone had similar problem with humming/buzzing with a Panasonic and, if so, an idea of likely repair costs?

Also, anyone got any ideas how generous Panasonic are with their "cost care assistance" scheme?

First off, speak with your local Trading Standards office and ask their advice.

Anyone had similar problem with humming/buzzing with a Panasonic and, if so, an idea of likely repair costs?

I used own one (TH42PZ70B) and although it didn't hum, the cooling fans were a little noisy. I changed, after 14 months, to Pioneer. Better all round.

Your model is renowed for humming sadly. My cousin had one and it was returned within 2 weeks for a replacement. His new one, still hums, but its not as intrusive as the first one. I believe it is a power supply issue. There were a few debates on AV Forums.

Trawl through this section, if you have time and search for your model;

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs

I have never tried Panasonic's customer service, but you could argue, that you shouldn't expect this issue at an early age, nor over its lifetime.

Last edited:
I think you can make a case that it is reasonable that the goods should have lasted longer without a failure - ie. expensive, quality brand.

Your problem is you will have to tough it out with the retailer on this. They're the ones exposed on this - not Panasonic.

In the first instance you probably need to do some reading to consolidate what your position is and then confront the retailer as concisely and clearly as possible - firm chat - if no result firm letter - then you're looking at small claims action.

The law tries to fair to consumers. These sorts of products should be expected to last reasonably. The problem is that the retailer is the one that is exposed - not the manufacturer. A fairer setup would allow the retailer to legally push the problem back to the manufacturer - sharing the exposure.

Do you have accidental damage...

woops, how did I trip on the rug and the tea ended up on the telly....

Did you buy it on a credit card, as mine covers things such as this for an additional year anyway?

There was a thread on here that made it clear that all consumer goods are covered for 5 years.

Of course this put the guy on the defensive and he claimed that he would "support any claim" but the "sale of goods act" doesn't allow me a free repair, only a percentage of the repair cost - he must have a different version of the act especially for retailers:rolleyes:

He is correct. In fact, if push comes to shove, it's down to you to prove it has an intrinsic fault. It's also always going to be difficult if the fault isn't clear-cut - as someone else mentioned, these sets are notorious for buzzing and Panasonic may think yours is acceptable

I tried giving Panasonic a call and they gave me phone numbers for two "local" approved repairers, both about 40 miles away. I then asked whether Panasonic were able to make any contribution to the repair cost. They said that they had a "cost care assistance" scheme where they "may" contribute towards the cost of repairs - they would need an estimate from the repairer and a copy of the purchase invoice.

The problem with the Panasonic route is the hassle/possible time delay between call out, estimate, "cost care" approval & then repair.

Had the same thing with a 16mth old (and quite expensive) Panasonic microwave oven which died. Not really what I expected from them either. I made the mistake of buying it from makro and, as it's a for trader, consumer laws don't apply. Pity Costco didn't have anything suitable - from them it would hav ebeen effectively guaranteed for ever.

I have got a Panasonic Plasma and, much against my usual process, I made sure I got a 5yr warranty. I felt it was necessary to avoid the potential hassle.

I had a board go in my Panasonic Plasma at about 2 years old - I paid for the diagnostics and Panasonic paid for the rest, direct to the repairer.

EU law dictates that you have a cast iron 2 year warranty. :bannana:

If only it were that clear cut.

The main hassle with consumer rights is the only way of enforcing them is by a civil case in court - it's not like you can call the Police and have the retailer prosecuted.

Your problem may be that it's not a " failure" per se? If the picture disappears completely or there's no sound at all that's a distinct fault. What you are arguing about is more of a "quality" issue. Don't get me wrong I have every sympathy with your problem. It just perhaps makes your legal position slightly more difficult.:dk:

I had power supplies on Samsung Syncmaster 940mw repaired by an independant tv repair man - charged me £60.
If I had an idea that the repair cost of the Panasonic was similar then I would gladly take that route rather than the hassle of taking the issue to task with the retailer or the manufacturer.

The buzz is coming from the back of the tv and son 2 has just switched the set on. I can hear the buzz from the next room! 5 mins later and I can barely hear it - it either gets quieter or I get used to it.

Another "fault" with the TV which I haven't thought to investigate - at intervals when the set is on standby, it clicks as if it is turning itself on & off. Doesn't actually light up the screen as the on-off clicks are one immediately after the other.

Whith the link grober provided, it seems that many plasma's buzz, and depending on surrounding surfaces the noise can be reflected into the room. Ours is in a corner, with a curtain close to one edge. Might try changing the position slightly to change the way the noise bounces off the walls.

Last edited:
Another "fault" with the TV which I haven't thought to investigate - at intervals when the set is on standby, it clicks as if it is turning itself on & off. Doesn't actually light up the screen as the on-off clicks are one immediately after the other.

I have noticed this recently, out plasma does the same thing. Ive put it down to being normal and not given it much thought or looked into it.

I have noticed this recently, out plasma does the same thing. Ive put it down to being normal and not given it much thought or looked into it.

Ours too. They all do it.

This from a comparison site.

Panel Display Noise

An issue that often crops up with those in favor of LCD in this ongoing plasma vs LCD debate is plasma panel noise. LCDs do not suffer from this phenomenon. Buzzing in plasma panels is normal but the level of buzzing is generally quite low and inaudible from normal viewing distance especially at daytime. In most cases, you will have to sit insanely close to your TV to hear it.

This soft buzzing noise is mainly caused by the electrical charges used to create the images on the screen. Buzzing can also result from the high frequency power drive coils in the switch-mode power supply (SMPS) board used to drive the panel.

There are many factors that can influence this plasma display panel phenomenon. For example changing the picture mode from say dynamic to a lower power one such as cinema/movie will also reduce the level of perceived noise since this affects how much power the panel is processing and the power levels processed by the SMPS board. This also explains why the perceived buzz noise changes with picture content - a bright overall scene or a too high contrast setting can generate a more audible noise level. Operating the panel at a high altitude also make plasmas more prone to audible buzzing.

It would also appear that PANSONIC have sophisticated circuitry algorithms which adjust the screen black levels over time to maintain picture quality.

However one thing occurs to me is that the problem may be in part voltage supply related. If you have a DVM it might be worth monitoring your house voltage supply when the problem is worst just out of curiosity? I have seen drops of a nominal supply of 240volts down to 234 volts at periods of high demand especially out in the country with long transmission lines.

If you are suffering from what the Americans quaintly term " brown outs"

I often visit the Far East and first time I heard of a "brown out" when I was there, due to some of my language limitations I got completely the wrong end of the stick. :eek:

However one thing occurs to me is that the problem may be in part voltage supply related. If you have a DVM it might be worth monitoring your house voltage supply when the problem is worst just out of curiosity? I have seen drops of a nominal supply of 240volts down to 234 volts at periods of high demand especially out in the country with long transmission lines.

I have a simple electric tester - but it just has a needle on a dial - not accurate enough to measure that sort of difference.
Was at a customers house recently and he had a tester with a digital display which I was using to determing when a circuit was dead (none of his fuses labled:mad:) His voltage never registered 240v, usually 236 to 238 over a 10 minute period of nipping between fuse board & socket where the tester was connected. His house is about a mile up the road from me so I doubt my readings would be a constant 240v

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom