Panasonic TV dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
Model TX-P42G10B working fine yesterday (TV is 6 yrs old).
Came down this morning to find the circuit that the TV is on had tripped. Reset the trip and everything seems to be working except the TV - no life at all. Checked the fuse & it's ok.

Would be a shame to bin it but with new TV's so cheap - is it worth looking into a repair?

As the mains RCD tripped it sounds like it could be the PSU in the TV has gone open or just "poof"...........might be an economical repair if it's a common fault.

Unfortunately with these TV's if one board goes down it tends to take out another couple with it. :eek: Could be the power supply as suggested but unless you are especially fond of it at 6 years old I would bin it. :( They can be repaired but not economically unless you know someone with a previously working set with say a damaged screen that can be cannibalised.:dk:

If you do repair this 6 year old TV, who's to say it isn't going to go again in some other way?

TVs have moved on a lot in 6 years, and with 4K TVs coming down in price, they're really putting pressure on the price of 1080P sets, so you can get some really top quality screens for not very much now.

I'm in the same boat 6 year old 47 inch LG LCD, mine's still perfectly fine, but if it goes, it's time for an upgrade. A few extra inches for good measure. ;)

It would be a shame to bin it as the picture is great. But I take the point that repair may be uneconomic:(

Might have a look at Richer Sounds later tonight.

"A few extra inches for good measure"

I bet you say that to all the girls i-CONICA ? :) LoL

We are a bit restricted in the inches department! This is the kitchen set which sits on top of the fridge having been relegated from the lounge just over a year ago.
See that there are no 37" TV's any more so probably looking at 39"/40"

As it's a kitchen set, beware LCD as the viewing angle is quite restricted, especially compared to plasma. If you have a John Lewis close by, go stand in front of their TV displays, then look at the picture on the screen next to the one you're in front of - you'll quickly see what I mean!!

We wanted a 50" to replace the 37" in our living room, did what I said above, binned the idea of a new set and bought a second hand Panasonic 50" plasma off Ebay for £270 (and put the 37" plasma in the dining room, relegating the 32" plasma to the bedroom and keeping the 26" plasma for daughter/spare!).

Why not llok on ebay for a 37" plasma!

We are a bit restricted in the inches department! This is the kitchen set which sits on top of the fridge having been relegated from the lounge just over a year ago.
See that there are no 37" TV's any more so probably looking at 39"/40"

Frames round TVs are a lot slimmer these days.

My dad bought a 32" Sony Bravia very recently and the frame is so thin - it is literally 32" - so ensure you check out the measurements as you might find a 40" fits now...

^ I agree.

Went looking for a new TV the other day as our Sony Bravia LCD is looking a bit tired and there is a buzzing noise from the power pack too so I feel it's days are numbered, plus the picture quality is pants.

So many great TV's about now for very little money really especially if you are not fussed about it being a smart TV. I wouldn't consider a repair.

Frames round TVs are a lot slimmer these days.

My dad bought a 32" Sony Bravia very recently and the frame is so thin - it is literally 32" - so ensure you check out the measurements as you might find a 40" fits now...

Current one is 42" & a very tight fit. So a "modern" 40" would be ok

Why not llok on ebay for a 37" plasma!

It gets a lot of use - would be cautious about buying used.
Richer Sounds & John Lewis both offering 5 yr g'tee.
John Lewis nearby (15 miles) but Richer Sounds (40 miles) have greater choice.
This may be a posibility.
Are LED's as bad as LCD's on viewing angles?

It gets a lot of use - would be cautious about buying used.
Richer Sounds & John Lewis both offering 5 yr g'tee.
John Lewis nearby (15 miles) but Richer Sounds (40 miles) have greater choice.
This may be a posibility.
Are LED's as bad as LCD's on viewing angles?

I brought 2x Sony Bravia's from richer sounds online 3 years ago(ish) i have had no problems and they were a fair bit cheaper than than most shops.
Second hand/returned/damage packaging the amazon warehouse is a good place to go also.

Lcd and led TVs are essentially the same. An led TV is an lcd with the illumination done by leds to give more consistent illumination.
If you want the best picture check out an oled tv where the pixels are individually illuminated. The picture quality, viewing angle and contrast ratio are simply stunning. They have really moved the game forward.
On display at Costco.

I wouldn't buy a plasma screen today.

They're heavy glass panels full of gas which can need recharging (not so much in later models, but still), smash as soon as an errand kid's toy touches it and pull between 50% and 80% more power. They can also (still, despite improvements to reduce it) suffer from image burn/retention. If you watch the same channel permanently, or something like a news channel, you can expect to see a shadow of the logo, scrolling banner, etc permanently imprinted on the screen after a while, even if it is to a lesser degree than old plasmas. (That's why screensavers exist, for CRTs (and also plasmas))

They're also 4 generations of technology old now. CRT > Plasma > LCD <> LED > OLED.

Viewing angles of modern LCD panels isn't going to be an issue. They're all wide enough providing it's a decent panel. You can expect a good brand, highly rated LED (better than LCD) screen for between £200, and £250 in that kind of size.

See this Samsung LED. It's rated 4.8 out of 5, it's 1080P with HD Freeview and weighs just 5kg.

Samsung UE32H5000 | 32 inch LED TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

As for plasma, RS only stock one, and it's too big and is 25KG, and it's clearance, ex-display.

As this TV is in the Kitchen I wonder if it's on the same circuit as the Fridge?

If so it might be a good idea to invest in a "smoothing/filter plug" to prevent power spikes when the Fridge compressor/pump cuts in as this could have given your existing TV problems, not saying that's the cause but it's a good precaution to take.

I posted on here a while back when my 42"Fujitsu suddenly died on me. That cost £4.5k new. I tried everything I could to get it fixed then won another one on ebay for £40.

My FIL's Samsung packed up with a dead PSU. I managed to get a replacement CPU with warranty on ebay for £25. A 5 minute job to replace.

Whilst attempting to resolve my Fujitsu loss. I bought a new 3D 55"LG LED Smart set which has no bezel. Richer sounds £800.

Very impressed with it. It is LED so I was expecting black balance issues, but I can report that if it has any I don't notice. The no bezel is a great look..

As this TV is in the Kitchen I wonder if it's on the same circuit as the Fridge?

If so it might be a good idea to invest in a "smoothing/filter plug" to prevent power spikes when the Fridge compressor/pump cuts in as this could have given your existing TV problems, not saying that's the cause but it's a good precaution to take.

It's actually plugged into the same socket as the fridge!!
Have you got a link for one of these "smoothing/filter plug" please

They're also 4 generations of technology old now. CRT > Plasma > LCD <> LED > OLED.
But the picture quality is spot on....................
We had visitors last weekend who commented about the picture quality. Not very good now the screen is all black:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom