Panasonic TV HDMI problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

x332race

MB Enthusiast
I'm hoping that there is someone here who can shed some light on my problem.

I have a Panasonic TH-42PX70BA Plasma TV. HDMI port 2 appears to have stopped working completely. When I connect via HDMI port 1 the device works for a while and then the connection starts cycling off and on.....this has occurred connecting a number of devices.

I have no problems connecting via Component.

Does this indicate that there is a problem with the HDMI board?

As Component works ok should I just stick with that (have a Blu-ray HD freeview box attached at moment) as it gives me 1080i feed.

It does look like your HDMI port has gone duff. Check the port visually to ensure that there is no carpet fluff or any other material stuck in there. Make sure that the devices that you are connecting via HDMI do not need HDMI enabled in their settings.

If under warranty? Have it returned.

Do you have an auto sensing HDMI splitter into the HDMI port?
It could be this switching if one of the devices is turned off.

Pretty sure that the ports are clean.....Port 1 works for a while with the Freeview but then starts cycling so I thing that the settings are ok...

Unfortunately TV was bought in 2007 and is out of warranty.

No splitter...direct HDMI lead between device and TV

HDMI sockets are incredibly poorly designed, IMO. I have had difficulty previously with plugs which will not stay in the socket (there's no means of locking them in) and this has caused damage to the contacts strips on the middle contact 'tongue'.

Do you leave a cable in there permanently, or do you swap them around?

If you do, then it is entirely possible that the contacts have been damaged. You can inspect the socket by carefully examining the central tongue, which should have a row of flat, straight, and perfectly lined-up contact strips on the top and bottom surface. If any are not straight, pushed back, etc, then you will have problems.

HDMI sockets are incredibly poorly designed, IMO. I have had difficulty previously with plugs which will not stay in the socket (there's no means of locking them in) and this has caused damage to the contacts strips on the middle contact 'tongue'.

Do you leave a cable in there permanently, or do you swap them around?

If you do, then it is entirely possible that the contacts have been damaged. You can inspect the socket by carefully examining the central tongue, which should have a row of flat, straight, and perfectly lined-up contact strips on the top and bottom surface. If any are not straight, pushed back, etc, then you will have problems.

Don't think its a cable problem as have tried several including a brand new cable.

Unfortunately TV was bought in 2007 and is out of warranty.

Long shot and unlikely from your post ^^ but - If bought from John Lewis or Costco you get 5 year warranties. Panasonic also give 5 years as a regular promotion. I've a Pana LCD and Plasma both with 5 year Pana warranties.

Can't offer a solution, but if you post on AVForums.com : Free Home Electronics News, Reviews and Forums in the plasma section you may get someone who knows the problem and the fix.

Have heard about this type of problem sometimes occurring with TV software updates that are done "on the fly" Might be worth checking if this has occurred recently. You should be able to check somewhere in the menu system . Some folks have cured problems like this by reverting to a previous software version and disabling any automatic upgrades . Your best bet for background info is probably the official Panasonic Support pages online.

Component Video is perfectly good in 1080i. Some argue it is better than HDMI. Still sounds to me like your telly is using some auto sensing or handshaking.

Try Googling your symptoms you may find somebody else who has cracked it.

Have had a look at the AV forums.....persons with similar problems have generally come to the conclusion that the board is at fault.

I could probably replace the board myself at a relativly modest cost if I felt strongly about the need for HDMI but Component Video probably gives me a good enough picture for my needs....doubt if I could tell difference between this and 1080p??

As I said there are purists out there who will argue component is better than HDMI..

I always used component on my Fujitsu Plasma until SKY changed all their HD boxes to have only HDMI. I never noticed any difference in picture quality.

Have you checked its not the source, your freeview box? maybe you have another box with HDMI output you can try, or try your freeview box with a different TV?

Have you checked its not the source, your freeview box? maybe you have another box with HDMI output you can try, or try your freeview box with a different TV?

No its not the source...this has been checked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom