Panoramic Roof Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slartibartfast

SUPPORTER
Car
W221 S350L, R231 SL350 & SL400
Just a heads up for anyone wanting advice on lubricating/greasing their cars panoramic roof. Mine is a 2011 W221 but I'm pretty sure this will be the same for most Merc models.

I bought a small tub of Merc Grease (£6.25) and a tiny bottle of Krytox GPL 105 Lubricant (£6.45). Only small but you don't need much. Here's the links where I bought them from:

Krytox

Merc Grease

lube.jpg

0001.jpg0002.jpg
IMG_20220203_114757.jpg

This is my car's ('13 S204) WIS document for panoramic roof maintenance.

Attachments

• Panoramic sliding roof - clean and lubricate guide mechanism.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 36
I may be getting this wrong so just for clarity.
1 it says lubricate: so you use the Krytox
3,5,6,7,8 say grease and Krytox ?
i'm not really understanding that, if someone could explain to me please ? :doh:thanks
Great info thanks for putting it up :thumb:

I may be getting this wrong so just for clarity.
1 it says lubricate: so you use the Krytox
3,5,6,7,8 say grease and Krytox ?
i'm not really understanding that, if someone could explain to me please ? :doh:thanks
Great info thanks for putting it up :thumb:
1 = Krytox
All others = Grease only

That's a really good find, thanks.

This is extremely useful information. I was looking to protect the rubber seals that surround the pan roof but wasn’t sure what maintenance was required on the mechanism itself.

I have now ordered both solutions and shall be doing this.

I assume from @Spider10 post above that MB don’t carry out this maintance as part of the scheduled service maintenance? (No surprise there)

I assume from @Spider10 post above that MB don’t carry out this maintance as part of the scheduled service maintenance? (No surprise there)
You assume incorrectly.

It is part of the scheduled "additional items" service actions, just like changing the ATF.

The problem with MB is that nothing is included in the schedule service ie A and B apart from oil and filter everything else is an additional item 😮 even down to air filters etc

This is extremely useful information. I was looking to protect the rubber seals that surround the pan roof but wasn’t sure what maintenance was required on the mechanism itself.

I have now ordered both solutions and shall be doing this.

You assume incorrectly.

It is part of the scheduled "additional items" service actions, just like changing the ATF.
So it isn’t something they will routinely do as part of an A or B service, ie you have to specifically ask them to do this. Therefore my assumption was correct ;)

So it isn’t something you have to make a point of asking them to do then?
They should advise you that it will be carried out when you book the car in for service.
I.e. will they do this as part of a scheduled A or B service?
They will do it at the same time as a scheduled service (if it's due to be done), but will make an additional charge for doing it.

Mercedes servicing has an air of mystery for many people, but the gist of it is that services alternate between A and B (that's the bit people understand) and there are infrequent maintenance items - such as Pano Roof lubrication that don't occur at every A or every B service, or may not occur at all if the car doesn't have a Pano Roof - so those are classed as "Additional Service Items" and are always charged in addition to the basic A or B service, but only when they occur.

HTH?

So it isn’t something they will routinely do as part of an A or B service, ie you have to specifically ask them to do this. Therefore my assumption was correct ;)
No, the main dealer will automatically include it in the service when it’s due. You only need to ask for it if you wish for it to be completed outside of the schedule.

I understand. My assumption was indeed incorrect o_O

The Mrs acquired a Toyota that belonged to my mum and dad who had owned it since new, having it serviced by Toyota annually. It is now 12 years old and has never had a brake fluid change. This is one of those ‘additional’ items but unlike MB, Toyota only perform the additional items if the customer specifically requests them to do so.

Not great for non car savvy people who assume their car is getting everything required when they stick with main dealer servicing.

I drained and flushed the brake fluid myself and let’s just say it was grateful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom