Panoramic Sunroof , maintenance.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KennyN

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Me - BMW 440i Coupe / Dog -Cayenne
Not MB but same rules should apply.

Decided to carryout some basic preventative maintenance on the Cayenne`s sunroof today , a stitch in time --- , as they say.

Cleaned all the tracks of old hardened grease and dried in crap from the seals today and now need to apply some grease to the tracks and lubrication to rejuvenate the seals as it struggles to open / close due to the increased friction of the dry seals etc.

Porsche have discontinued their products , for some reason, so i now need to source an alternative , so any tried + tested products that members can recommend ??

Off on my hols tomorrow (NC 500) so hoping to order the stuff tonight so it will be here when i get home next weekend.

Cheers - K

This may be of use

IMO forget grease. Did the big clean and lube on my CLS55 roof 2 years ago after it started jamming. Once I was happy that all the crud was gone I used some Scottoil motorcycle chain lube I had in the garage. Perfect ever since. Most bike shops will stock it. About £10 a bottle and you only need a few teaspoons.

IMO forget grease.

I think the problem is more with the dry rubber on the seals opposed to the actual metal runners , the roof on the Porker lifts up and over the rear section so there is external guides that the roof slides into that need to be lubricated whereas the roof on the 55 goes into the roof which keeps everything nice and clean in which case the oil would fit the bill , but possibly not in an external environment.

K

Gummi pfledge? (on the seals obvs!)

Silicon grease is the Merc equivalent I believe. In very short summary, I cleaned mine with a silicon spray and wipedown (repeat as necessary) then finished off with some silicon grease. Seems to work every other year on the w203

Mercedes Newcastle have this listed on their EBay page : Genuine Mercedes-Benz Folding/Sliding Roof Mold Lubricant A0009893660 NEW £49.45.

I use Gummi pfledge on the rubber seals on my S205 panoramic roof then they look dull. MB Newcastle do the sunroof lubricating every 2 years as part of the regular service schedule. They seem to clean out the channels and apply the expensive grease to the metal parts.
It certainly is worth keeping the roof serviced, repairs would be very costly.

Just ordered some Krynox 205 (£25) for the seals from Germany as that seems to be what the VW group use when servicing the seals on the Pan roof system . Will give it a bash and report back.

K

Mercedes Newcastle have this listed on their EBay page : Genuine Mercedes-Benz Folding/Sliding Roof Mold Lubricant A0009893660 NEW £49.45.

I use Gummi pfledge on the rubber seals on my S205 panoramic roof then they look dull. MB Newcastle do the sunroof lubricating every 2 years as part of the regular service schedule. They seem to clean out the channels and apply the expensive grease to the metal parts.
It certainly is worth keeping the roof serviced, repairs would be very costly.
It is a transparent silicon grease though. It is an overkill for 50 GBP. Especially if you do it on one car only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom