Panoramic Sunroof on w205 Stopped Working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarceloN

Car
C220 w205
Hi All - today the panoramic sunroof on my c220 (w205) stopped working. It opens about 2 cm and then "get's stuck". I do have a weak battery as many of us due to low usage during the lockdown. A couple of questions: 1) Does the (very) low battery affect the operation of the panoramic sunroof? 2) If it does, will simply recharging the battery fix the issue? 3) If it is NOT battery-related, what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Was the engine running when you tried to open the roof? Did you manage to close the roof electrically?

If the roof has not been used for some time then dirt will build up on the tracks, harden and cause difficulty in opening.

Was the engine running when you tried to open the roof? Did you manage to close the roof electrically?

If the roof has not been used for some time then dirt will build up on the tracks, harden and cause difficulty in opening.
The engine was defo on when I tried. I managed to close it by pushing it down while simultaneously pressing the "close" button. How can I check if there is dirt/crud on the tracks if it won't open beyond a couple of cm?

I do have a weak battery as many of us due to low usage during the lockdown. A couple of questions: 1) Does the (very) low battery affect the operation of the panoramic sunroof? 2) If it does, will simply recharging the battery fix the issue?

I am having some battery issues myself and recently Googled "Mercedes low battery symptoms" and many websites mentioned electric roof and window issues, so low voltage could well be the cause. Presumably the motors for these components require electricity, so it would make sense that it could be battery related. Definitely worth charging it to see if it resolves the issue. I have the CTEK MXS 5.0 which seems to be highly rated.

The engine was defo on when I tried. I managed to close it by pushing it down while simultaneously pressing the "close" button. How can I check if there is dirt/crud on the tracks if it won't open beyond a couple of cm?
If it partly opens you can spray a silicon lubricant into the tracks and see if that helps.

Do not use WD40.

Once you get it open throughly clean the tracks and check the drain holes for any blockage.

I believe MB have a specific lubricant for sun roofs but I use a little white lithium grease on to cleaned tracks.

I've had this issue before, it was re-lubricate/cleaned which helped but after a week or so it would just get stuck.

turns out it was something faulty with the software (not sure if that's the correct word) which kept telling the roof to open but it was a simple fix at the indy who just reset the pano roof and no issues since then!

no more having to push it manually and hold the button for it to close :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom