Parameter Steering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
(Hope this is the correct forum)

Hi gang,

Has anybody had any first hand experience of driving similar models with & without parameter steering, if so what do you think, how did it affect the driving experience?

Also better on a large car rather than small?

Thanks

Mike
icon7.gif

Last edited:
Sorry I have no experience about parametric steering but you do need img tags around that icon link ;)

icon7.gif

Try the following instead...
[img]http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif[/img]

oops.gif
Sorry for going
offtopic.gif

S

MikeL said:
(Hope this is the correct forum)

Hi gang,

Has anybody had any first hand experience of driving similar models with & without parameter steering, if so what do you think, how did it affect the driving experience?

Also better on a large car rather than small?

Thanks

Mike
icon7.gif

Hello MikeL.

If you have seen some of my earlier 'steering' posts?. I dont have it on my present C Class coupe and honestly I find it a bit of a pain in the very low speed ranges (very heavy up to about 10/15 MPH) and I also find that the steering does'nt self centre either, again if you are doing less that 15ish MPH.

This all makes three pointing and reverse parking a right chore :( . A friend of mine has a C Class, albeit the saloon W203. He has parameter on his and believe me it is a revaletion in the low speed ranges compared to mine, it will steer with just one finger if you want it to. So, to answer your question, in my opinion there is a massive, and beneficial, difference and for the sake of £200 it is well worth the extra. Like other power steering set ups, it does go away as speed increases therefore there is no detriment to what you might call normal driving.

I wouldnt buy another Mercedes without it. The SLK that I hope to be getting later this year will have it even though its a relaltive lightweight in comparison to my Coupe. I just will not risk it for the cost of a couple of decent nights out in Bradford :D ;)

Portzy.

Done deal

Portzy,

Many thanks that was the info I was looking for.

As you pointed out you don't loose feel at higher speeds - my main concern.

I've now specified Parameter (just got off the phone)

Once again thanks for the detailed response

Mike

MikeL said:
Portzy,

Many thanks that was the info I was looking for.

As you pointed out you don't loose feel at higher speeds - my main concern.

I've now specified Parameter (just got off the phone)

Once again thanks for the detailed response

Mike

Morning Mike,
I thought parameter steering was standard on the 320CDI, or have you ordered a different model?

Good luck with all your options,
John

Hi John

How are you?

Yes parameter is standard on the E-320, but the SLK I've ordered it is only an option. Seeing as the E is a different beast from the SLK I needed a bit of guidance!

My wife says I have too much guidance and requests that any other options are rejected - good, bad or indifferent.

Mike

MikeL said:
How are you?

Yes parameter is standard on the E-320, but the SLK I've ordered it is only an option. Seeing as the E is a different beast from the SLK I needed a bit of guidance!

My wife says I have too much guidance and requests that any other options are rejected - good, bad or indifferent.

Hi Mike,
:D Why must women always be the sensible half of the partnership? What's so wrong with equal rights and equality? ;) :D :D

I remember the days when we walked around with big clubs and played golf all day ;) ;)

I bought our E-class for my wife so the options were a 'surprise' ;) but they can quite easily add up to many thousands of pounds that our wives can make better use of.

The new SLK certainly looks very impressive, what is going to be the specifications of your particular model?

It would also be nice to hear of your experiences with the Exeter dealership. I think that some members feel that I heap too much praise onto them, so another view might balance the impression.

If your comments are adverse that would certainly not be an emabarrassment, I for one do not think that Exeter is as good as our old Paignton dealership. (Coverdales) I regret the closure and miss that family type atmosphere. Exeter has slowly impressed me and I can recommend the drivers that collect and deliver vehicles for servicing.

Good luck with the SLK and we must have our own little Get-To-Gether.

Please keep in touch,
John

Exeter Dealership

I pretty much agree with John, Exeter not as good to start with, compared with Paignton. They seem to have improved drastically over the last 12 months or so.

I prefer a more relaxed approach to customer service, you can always tell when people are being artificially polite (call centres anyone?)

So 4 out of 5 for Exeter.

John this is the SLK Full spec (don't you just love those little options boxes, they take up hardly any space in the price list!) - just don't ask why I am changing from a 4 door saloon to 2 door roadster.

Following a three hour test drive chose the following:

SLK 350

Black - non metallic! (sorry you silver lovers)
Standard Alloys, for Non-Sport suspension - check them out in the flesh
7Gtronic - awesome as tested
Leather - Alpaca
Wood trim (Vavona)
Heated seats - didn't want, but
Airscarf - requires heated seats
Luxury Climate - more flashing bits than the standard
Parktronic - as much help as I can get
Fold Mirrors - should be standard
Auto Wipers/Lights/Auto Dim Mirrors
Key Remote Roof - £90 - should be included
Xenon Lights - with twee turning corner fog light!
Tyre loss monitor
PARAMATER STEERING - where this thread started... (test cars didn't have)
Comand DVD
Phone Pre Wiring - agonised over this one, went for it due to lack of cockpit space.

NOT CHOSEN (and why):
CD Changer - takes up too much space, DVD plays MP3 & hope to get iPod integration.
Sports Suspension - found the ride harsher with no appreciable handling gain - gave the car a good thrash between Exeter & Dawlish for those in the know.
Designo chromaflair paint - there are many and varied reasons not to choose this, the two that best sumarise are 1: Dearly beloved other half & 2: £3,650 come on!

TTFN

Mike

why not metallic black -- flat black is a nightmare to keep clean and looking good

MikeL said:
Black - non metallic! (sorry you silver lovers)

MikeL said:
(don't you just love those little options boxes, they take up hardly any space in the price list!) - just don't ask why I am changing from a 4 door saloon to 2 door roadster.

Sports Suspension - found the ride harsher with no appreciable handling gain - gave the car a good thrash between Exeter & Dawlish for those in the know.

Hi Mike
What a brilliant specification. I'm glad that you resisted the temptation of going overboard with the options ;)

I think that you and I might be in the minority (I always am) over the sports suspension issue.

The E-class Avantgarde comes standard with sports suspension but like you, we opted for the more comfortable option. I say, 'each to their own' and I think your SLK will look stunning.

I am surprised that parameter steering is not standard on the 350, but who am I to argue with such an excellent car manufacturer.

Good luck,
John

portzy said:
The SLK that I hope to be getting later this year will have it even though its a relaltive lightweight in comparison to my Coupe.
If you really might "lightweight" I'd check on the figures, the SLK weighs a lot more than you'd think due to chassis stiffening and roof mechanism - remember the fabric-roof cabrios usually weigh more than their coupé counterparts!

Shude said:
If you really might "lightweight" I'd check on the figures, the SLK weighs a lot more than you'd think due to chassis stiffening and roof mechanism - remember the fabric-roof cabrios usually weigh more than their coupé counterparts!

Yes, I know, the SLK is pretty much the same weight as my Coupe. I suppose I was speaking figureatively (?), or relatively. The SLK that I test drove was nothing like my coupe for agility and it went exactly where I put it or wanted it to go. The ease at which all this happened translated into "lightweight" in the effort sense so I guess thats how the whole drive appeared. Not lightweight in the literal sense.

Have I tied myself verbally in knots now :eek:

Portzy.

Black Paint

C240Sport97 said:
why not metallic black -- flat black is a nightmare to keep clean and looking good

Sean,

I always agonise over paint aaaggghhhh.

Spotted a Black SLK at Canary Wharf last year, and it was stunning, just thought it was sleeker than the metallics.

I reckon the new Nano paint must have an effect on the finish.

Anyway don't start me off - I'm like an old woman when it comes to paint colours :confused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom