Park Assist Malfunction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KMD

Car
W213 E220d AMG PREMIUM
During a recent parallel park manoeuvre using park assist my car looked like it was going to reverse turn into a space, then change its mind and ran straight back side swiping the car behind!
The speed of the reverse was quicker than my reactions to prevent a collision.
Only slight panel damage to rear quarter and bumper but very alarming all the same. Most concerned that this malfunction could have resulted in a series injury or worse to a pedestrian or child.
MB notified and advised me to book vehicle into dealer for diagnostic checks.
Has anyone else experience this?

Isn't the speed controlled by the driver? It is on my ML. That being the case then it was you that reversed to fast.

Same in our cars too, I control the speed with the accelerator pedal. Truth be told I've only ever used it for fun, never when I really need to park.

PS Perhaps the çar aborted the procedure because there was too much accelerator pedal applied?

W213s are fully automated.
No brake or gas or steering required.

W213s are fully automated.
No brake or gas or steering required.

Well perhaps it should be left to the driver to apply the brake and gas because when it goes wrong and hits something it the drivers insurance that pays out.
You control the gas on the W205 c class but like I said I haven't even tried it.
It was standard otherwise I wouldn't have have it, voice operated Bluetooth would be better but MB know they can charge extra for the Bluetooth and very few people would bother with the automated parking.

S212 is pretty much automated, steers and brakes only need to apply go pedal, even that can be left and just use the creep of the auto box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From MB technical info 2016

"Parking Assist can be activated and deactivated using a switch on the centre console. With the 9G-TRONIC, gears are changed automatically and the Parking Pilot intervenes with steering and braking actions in order to complete the parking procedure comfortably. The engine torque is influenced so that the vehicle does not move any faster than 10 km/h."

whitenemesis said:
From MB technical info 2016 "Parking Assist can be activated and deactivated using a switch on the centre console. With the 9G-TRONIC, gears are changed automatically and the Parking Pilot intervenes with steering and braking actions in order to complete the parking procedure comfortably. The engine torque is influenced so that the vehicle does not move any faster than 10 km/h."

I have the W213 and I can confirm it is fully automated.......

So let me ask all those who have park assist, especially those where the facility is totally hands off:

Are you insured during park assist? Who is the driver of the vehicle? It certainly isn't you if fully automatic and if partially you - then you are not (by default) totally in control of the vehicle.

If an accident happens, like this one - does the insurance pay out?

Thank god a small child wasn't in between the two vehicles.

Immature Technology if you ask me.:dk:

So let me ask all those who have park assist, especially those where the facility is totally hands off:

Are you insured during park assist? Who is the driver of the vehicle? It certainly isn't you if fully automatic and if partially you - then you are not (by default) totally in control of the vehicle.

If an accident happens, like this one - does the insurance pay out?

Thank god a small child wasn't in between the two vehicles.

Immature Technology if you ask me.:dk:

Is it feedng time again already :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom