Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frostjr100

Car
GLC 300 de
Hi,

I have recently picked up my new GLC 300 de and after a few days noticed the park assist wasn't working, after returning the car to the service department they spent 3 days diagnosing the issue to then tell me it was disabled due to new EU rules. I am annoyed by this as it was listed in the advert and broacher as being included with the cars, so I contacted Mercedes Central and they confirmed as follows:-

I am contacting you in response to your recent enquiry in relation to Mercedes-Benz Park Assist in your car detailed above.

"Unfortunately the information is correct, at the moment this has been disabled on all vehicles which have it. The reason for this is due to a revision in EU Regulation UN R79 relating to automotive standards and safety which comes into place as of 2021.

Please see the link below, for further information:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:42008X0527(01)"

Has any one else had this issue and is there a way of turning it back on.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Thats a strange 1, what years the car ?

brand new, its apparently all new merc's made after 1 September 2020, not sure what other driving aids will be disabled as I didn't get the full driving assist package on mine.

Maybe significant that in the info from MBUK they say at the moment this has been disabled on all vehicles which have it.
Perhaps as Brexit finalises this might be enabled due to UK regs diverging from the EU reg (which hasn't actually come in force yet)?

Nooooo

Apart from the fact we have ordered this as an option.... Are you being reimbursed for paying for something that your vehicle doesn't have and when we leave the EU, can this feature be reinstated or are we simply going to recognise all this EU legislation?

I hope it can be turned back on in the future and its just delayed by red tape, I did email them back asking what the future situation was, why they are advertising something customers are not getting and still paying for but have to had a response. If I had of paid for the driver assist package I wonder if they would have told me half of it wasn't going to be working?

They also state that its disabled on all cars that have it, does this include existing stock? will it be disabled next time you take your car into be serviced?

I hope it can be turned back on in the future and its just delayed by red tape, I did email them back asking what the future situation was, why they are advertising something customers are not getting and still paying for but have to had a response. If I had of paid for the driver assist package I wonder if they would have told me half of it wasn't going to be working?
Trying to get a response out of Mercedes-Benz UK when they need to give a definitive answer is comparabe to getting a straight answer from a politician. On second thoughts, I think the latter is easier

Well if they don't respond soon it will be going to Trading Standards and the Motor Trade Ombudsman as I think its incredibly misleading and as the dealer spent three days trying to fix it and got a Master Technician in to look at it, they are not informing the dealerships either.

Well if they don't respond soon it will be going to Trading Standards and the Motor Trade Ombudsman as I think its incredibly misleading and as the dealer spent three days trying to fix it and got a Master Technician in to look at it, they are not informing the dealerships either.
I would be very grateful if you could possibly find the time to keep us updated?

Good luck with your quest

John

Yes I’ll keep the post updated. They just responded saying I should get a response in three days!

Thanks and I have a reply from my dealer stating we have ordered Park Assist and it is a feature on EU vehicles as is the dash cam we ordered which shows as option 21J. None of this makes sense. If it is an EU thing, then why is it on European vehicles?

Yes the whole thing is strange, why is effecting cars now when it doesn’t come in until 2021? So your dealer believes your car will have the feature, mine has it listed, and all the buttons and screens are there but it doesn’t display the blue scanning lines on the screen and is just inactive. It will be interesting to see if yours does indeed function. Maybe model specific?!

If the system is installed but just disabled then it can be enabled again. Maybe commandonline can help.

If the system is installed but just disabled then it can be enabled again. Maybe commandonline can help.
I see no reason why we should pay for a system, and then pay again to get the thing up and working.

When we buy something, it has to be fit for purpose and in full working order, is Park Assist fit for purpose and is it in full working order?

Am I missing something? The UK isn't in the EU and in four weeks time we leave the transitional arrangements. Surely if MB can disable these safety devices because the EU don't approve of them, they can enable them for non EU regions?

Am I missing something? The UK isn't in the EU and in four weeks time we leave the transitional arrangements. Surely if MB can disable these safety devices because the EU don't approve of them, they can enable them for non EU regions?
I personally still believe we are stll in the EU and I think.... I believe that most if not all historical legislation will simply transfer across, but by crikey, there are folks on this forum with a far greater knowledge of this issue.

The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31st January 2020.
A transition period is now in place until 31st December 2020. During this period the UK must comply with all EU rules and laws.

Source

NJSS

The United Kingdom (UK) left the European Union (EU) on 31st January 2020.
A transition period is now in place until 31st December 2020. During this period the UK must comply with all EU rules and laws.

NJSS
Well said and is legislation transferable or does it ALL have to be reviewed? I am asking out of a vested interest as I am importing a car from the EU and it clearly states it has this option, plus I have been told it still performs the function it is designed to do. Only time will tell to show if Belgium salespeople are as economical with the truth as their UK counter-parts

Did the feature work previously on the OPs car and now no longer works?

Or did it never work?

I can’t see how it can be disabled other than by a software update - if you have it, it will still work unless and until you let MB update the software...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom