Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The same applies to MB's interpretation of the requirement to display the speed also in Kmh on UK cars - MB will tell you that it needs to be displayed 'at all times', which isn't true - what the legislation actually says is that the car only needs to be able to display the speed in Kmh.

(There's another reason why MB did that, and it's not a legal reason, but that's a different story).

Additionally, as I pointed-out earlier, the 'legal' issue fior MB might actually be one of manufacturer's liability, rather than a specific ban in law on Active Park Assist - but I don't know that for fact.
This has bugged me for a long time now - why do they do it?

This has bugged me for a long time now - why do they do it?

Because if they didn't, and you drove the car in the Continent, you'd have to bring-up the digital speedometer on the instrument cluster LCD display to see your speed in Km/h (and comply with the need to display the speed in Km/h). And, once you did that, you will not be able to change the instrument cluster display to anything else (Navigation, Radio, Tel, etc). Plus, if a warning pops-up, it will temporary replace the digital speedometer display.

So I can understand why they 'stuck' a permanent Km/h display on the instrument cluster of UK cars. What I don't understand, is why they stopped making their classic dual-dial speedometer in the first place? Every other car that I ever drove still has it. Very useful.

Apropos the Tesla reference, I am smiling as I write this because I am usually the one explaining that none of this is the fault of the EU, much as some people have suggested otherwise. UN Regulation 79 is implemented via national and international bodies including the EU, such as here. So I do believe that the Tesla is relevant even if the origin of the rules is not “Europe” as some would suggest.

I purchased a new C-Class last week and was extremely annoyed (to say the least!) to find these facilities had been removed from the system I had ordered. I received the following response from the dealer this morning:

"The UNR-79 regulation is specific to Active lane change or self-parking technology on board some of our vehicles. This regulation came into force on 1st April 2021. Therefor removed from your vehicle.

MB colleagues are looking to find both hardware (where necessary) and software solutions that can be deployed via a service measure. In tandem, we are working with the SMMT and DfT on the potential of derogation.

We await potential outcomes and solutions.

However, there may be no solution and almost expect that vehicles registered prior to 01st April, may have it removed at a later date."

I purchased a new C-Class last week and was extremely annoyed (to say the least!) to find these facilities had been removed from the system I had ordered. I received the following response from the dealer this morning:

"The UNR-79 regulation is specific to Active lane change or self-parking technology on board some of our vehicles. This regulation came into force on 1st April 2021. Therefor removed from your vehicle.

MB colleagues are looking to find both hardware (where necessary) and software solutions that can be deployed via a service measure. In tandem, we are working with the SMMT and DfT on the potential of derogation.

We await potential outcomes and solutions.

However, there may be no solution and almost expect that vehicles registered prior to 01st April, may have it removed at a later date."

I appreciate this what the dealer said is not what you wanted to hear, the silver lining though is that it would appear that finally dealers are starting to proactively communicate the issue to customers, and are doing so in a clear and honest fashion.

While the dealers are not to blame for the deactivation of the driver aids, they are certainly guilty of first ignoring, then denying, and finally clouding the issue (at least up to now).

My C63S is booked in next week to investigate, my was registered March 2021 so I would expect this functionality to be available. If it cannot be fixed I am half tempted to reject the car (not that I want to), but the MB experience so far hasn't been great, in fact it's been the worst car buying experience in 30+ years of buying cars.

My C63S is booked in next week to investigate, my was registered March 2021 so I would expect this functionality to be available. If it cannot be fixed I am half tempted to reject the car (not that I want to), but the MB experience so far hasn't been great, in fact it's been the worst car buying experience in 30+ years of buying cars.
It is a function of the build date - check your VIN at mbdecoder.com and look for 8B8 Active Parking Assist Reduction (UN R79).

As a matter of interest, what has been the problem with the purchase? Rejecting the car will depend on that it fails to meet contracted specifications or is not of merchantable quality, as opposed to whether the dealer experience has been good or not.

It is a function of the build date - check your VIN at mbdecoder.com and look for 8B8 Active Parking Assist Reduction (UN R79).

As a matter of interest, what has been the problem with the purchase? Rejecting the car will depend on that it fails to meet contracted specifications or is not of merchantable quality, as opposed to whether the dealer experience has been good or not.
It reads like park assist is disabled

Surely you can't be serious, rejecting a C63 because 'assists' such as park assist and lane assist (or whatever they're called) have been disabled?

How did we manage before this 'stuff' was fitted to cars; I dislike them and turn it all off, if possible. I find that I still manage to move my TVR from A to B, after many years of owning, and that doesn't have any assistance add-ons. Perhaps I'm too old-school.

Has anyone heard if this could be enabled buy a coding thing?

I only realised it was totally deactivated after driving around a car park for 45 mins - the car is a week old and all the Park Assist things are detailed on the sales order and build.

Not even the parallel parking that I had on the GLC I traded in for the 2021 model. So annoyed.

Surely you can't be serious, rejecting a C63 because 'assists' such as park assist and lane assist (or whatever they're called) have been disabled?

How did we manage before this 'stuff' was fitted to cars; I dislike them and turn it all off, if possible. I find that I still manage to move my TVR from A to B, after many years of owning, and that doesn't have any assistance add-ons. Perhaps I'm too old-school.
Surely the point is if MB tell you your new car offers a feature, you then choose and pay for it, then MB deliver your car without that feature, then they are at fault and need to account for their failure. Not liking those features mean you wouldn’t order them in the first place but many customers did.

The idea that a premium manufacturer should be able to escape responsibility for not delivering a product as specified/contracted is surely anathema to owners?

Other manufacturers are not taking similar actions to withdraw features; I wonder what is the reason MB are being forced to?

Surely the point is if MB tell you your new car offers a feature, you then choose and pay for it, then MB deliver your car without that feature, then they are at fault and need to account for their failure. Not liking those features mean you wouldn’t order them in the first place but many customers did.

The idea that a premium manufacturer should be able to escape responsibility for not delivering a product as specified/contracted is surely anathema to owners?

Other manufacturers are not taking similar actions to withdraw features; I wonder what is the reason MB are being forced to?
Exactly. On my vehicle offer it has this...no mention of anything disabled etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.46.21.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 18.46.21.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 19
My car was specc’ed, by me, at a cost of, I think, £1,695 with a Driver Assistance Pack, which included Active Brake Assist, Active Distance Assist (active cruise), Active Lane Keeping Assist and Evasive Steering Assist (!!) as well as no doubt some other bits and bobs. Parking Assist was, I think, part of the Premium Plus Package. And that was quite expensive as well - I want to say around £3,500. So if they start retrospectively deactivating any of these features then there must surely be a refund to customers...?

Having said that, Parking Assist can be pretty good...it got itself into this space yesterday

Attachments

• 6FFF5B39-3217-4EC9-9C25-5E791C5814B1.jpeg
    6FFF5B39-3217-4EC9-9C25-5E791C5814B1.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 18
Well I've checked mbdecoder and it is listed on there.

My point regarding rejecting the car is knee jerk, but I've paid for several features that have potentially been disabled without my knowledge prior to delivery which MB are willing to take my hard earned for.

If it cannot be resolved either be re-activating/resolving these issues or via compensation I will be forced to reject as I'm not being made a fool of, and MB will be left with a car which they will have to move on at a loss to them.

There's plenty of other nice metal out there for the same kind of $$$ at the end of the day.

My view is that MB are arrogantly ignoring the issue, expecting customers to roll-over and accept it. They did the same with the crabbing issue.

Whatever the reasons behind disabling these features, a customer-focused organisation would have proactively engaged with their customers, explain the issue, and seek a resolution.

Letting customers find-out from Internet forums, getting enraged, complaining to the Ombudsman, and potentially also taking them to court, is a very good example of how things shouldn't be done.

Someone should contact the ambulance-chasers behind the Dieselgate claims and let them know about this.

Different issue, that is from 2019. This one looks to be Mercedes only.
I think it's part of the same directive.
I think it's because MB dont have sensors on the steering wheel or pedals to detect whether there is 'driver assistance' - so the driver always has the ability to stop the auto manoeuvre.

However - if this has been in the directive for 2 years - why haven MB not done anything about it - and why are they stills selling cars that have Park Assist fitted but deactivated?

My 2018 GLC had the parallel parking - I was excited to get the full parking features on my 2021 GLC - but I have none! - So if this UN directive has been around for 2 years surely then MB would have had time to make adjustments to comply (or just not advertise it as an option!)

Just read through all of this post and find it all very disappointing as far as Mercedes is concerned.
How on earth can a company with the status of Mercedes treat its new and present customers with such disdain. If they have decided to disable these functions on their cars they should tell the customer without hesitation, weather they are ordering a new car or already have a Mercedes with these functions.
I have a service plan for my car so I expect my park assist will be disabled when it’s next serviced.
But what’s happens if you have your car serviced at and independent, there will be many, many cars with these functions still active.
Mercedes MUST DO BETTER!

Hi,

I have recently picked up my new GLC 300 de and after a few days noticed the park assist wasn't working, after returning the car to the service department they spent 3 days diagnosing the issue to then tell me it was disabled due to new EU rules. I am annoyed by this as it was listed in the advert and broacher as being included with the cars, so I contacted Mercedes Central and they confirmed as follows:-

I am contacting you in response to your recent enquiry in relation to Mercedes-Benz Park Assist in your car detailed above.

"Unfortunately the information is correct, at the moment this has been disabled on all vehicles which have it. The reason for this is due to a revision in EU Regulation UN R79 relating to automotive standards and safety which comes into place as of 2021.

Please see the link below, for further information:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:42008X0527(01)"

Has any one else had this issue and is there a way of turning it back on.

Thank you for your help in advance.
I bought a brand new GLC300e in late December 2020. Eventually I discovered that the "active park assist" would not work. I checked the manual both online and paper ones, searched YouTube and seemed to be doing the right things but it still would not work.

I eventually took it into the dealership in March and whilst they could physically see the problem could not send a report into Mercedes because the reporting system would not allow them to because the electronic system could not see a fault.

I was asked by the dealership last week if I would take it back in so that their "Master Technician" (I am guessing Mercedes version of a Jedi) could look at it.

Got it back today and the result is that there is some new legislation of some description which is asking ALL car manufacturers and dealerships to recall the vehicles to have the Active Park Assist/Park Assist disabled.
The dealership only found this out in the last day or so because of "recall" they had received about disabling the "Park Assist" what the dealership cannot understand is that it appears to be for all vehicle registered on or after 1st January 2021 and mine was registered in December. So they are looking to find out what the score is. As I said all their documentation shows it as part of the "spec", which is included in the price yet has been removed. They are fuming that they have been working on the car for 2 weeks and only just found out.
I don’t think it’s the insurance - I’m fairly sure that the driver will always be responsible.
Spot on. The driver is always supposed to in control of course, direction and speed of the vehicle and it says within the handbooks that it is still the drivers responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom