Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This all is so Mercedes. For ordered/still not delivered cars I don’t see how could they wiggle out of reimbursement for undelivered but ordered features. Just doesn’t make sense as if allowed next time they could decide to deliver cars with no brakes or wheels.
But what bothers me the most is MBs and others attitude to disable or change the software on cars for which they haven’t asked the car owner for consent, haven’t informed the car owner of changes they are applying to the vehicle and what will be the consequences of such applied updates. Just look what all German OEMs did after dieselgate with AdBlue engines.

I bought a brand new GLC300e in late December 2020. Eventually I discovered that the "active park assist" would not work. I checked the manual both online and paper ones, searched YouTube and seemed to be doing the right things but it still would not work.

I eventually took it into the dealership in March and whilst they could physically see the problem could not send a report into Mercedes because the reporting system would not allow them to because the electronic system could not see a fault.

I was asked by the dealership last week if I would take it back in so that their "Master Technician" (I am guessing Mercedes version of a Jedi) could look at it.

Got it back today and the result is that there is some new legislation of some description which is asking ALL car manufacturers and dealerships to recall the vehicles to have the Active Park Assist/Park Assist disabled.
The dealership only found this out in the last day or so because of "recall" they had received about disabling the "Park Assist" what the dealership cannot understand is that it appears to be for all vehicle registered on or after 1st January 2021 and mine was registered in December. So they are looking to find out what the score is. As I said all their documentation shows it as part of the "spec", which is included in the price yet has been removed. They are fuming that they have been working on the car for 2 weeks and only just found out.

Spot on. The driver is always supposed to in control of course, direction and speed of the vehicle and it says within the handbooks that it is still the drivers responsibility.

Well, we figured it out weeks ago... the dealer should join mbclub! (Sad but true)

Dieselgate, Crabbing, and now Parkingate.... the pattern is clear: they won't budge until forced to.

Two days after “discussing” with my MB dealer the arbitrary deletion of Active Parking on my new C-Class, registered 18th April 2021, I received an emailed welcome letter from MB thanking me for purchasing my new car. As part of the Welcome letter were a series of videos telling me how to some of the features of my new car.

The first video explained how to use Active Parking! Talk about rubbing in salt!!

If you reject the car or after money back for something you ordered, thats your evidence, pop that and your order form in front of wherever you take it. Boom job done

Well I've checked mbdecoder and it is listed on there.

My point regarding rejecting the car is knee jerk, but I've paid for several features that have potentially been disabled without my knowledge prior to delivery which MB are willing to take my hard earned for.

If it cannot be resolved either be re-activating/resolving these issues or via compensation I will be forced to reject as I'm not being made a fool of, and MB will be left with a car which they will have to move on at a loss to them.

There's plenty of other nice metal out there for the same kind of $$$ at the end of the day.
Fair enough; my point was more along the lines of if I wanted a C63 and liked the way it drove, I wouldn't let the two assistance packages put me off the car but I accept different people value different things. There should, however, be some financial adjustment if functions aren't as advertised / optioned and paid extra for but that's a separate point.

Whilst I have several MBs and have had numerous over many years, I'm not blind to what I've perceived to be a degree of arrogance on their part where they (dealer, not MB UK) sometimes seem to think it's their car, not mine, and they'll decide what's done/not done. That's dealer-specific, though, and most have been very good over the years. The issue is sometimes simply poor communication.

There was an advert on TV last night for a Volvo (can't remember the model) but it was based on the 360 deg camera & self parking. Nice overhead video of this car doing a 90 deg park. So why are Mercedes disconnecting it

Just read through all of this post and find it all very disappointing as far as Mercedes is concerned.
How on earth can a company with the status of Mercedes treat its new and present customers with such disdain. If they have decided to disable these functions on their cars they should tell the customer without hesitation, weather they are ordering a new car or already have a Mercedes with these functions.
I have a service plan for my car so I expect my park assist will be disabled when it’s next serviced.
But what’s happens if you have your car serviced at and independent, there will be many, many cars with these functions still active.
Mercedes MUST DO BETTER!
There was an advert on TV last night for a Volvo (can't remember the model) but it was based on the 360 deg camera & self parking. Nice overhead video of this car doing a 90 deg park. So why are Mercedes disconnecting it
No one is saying, but it looks as though Mercedes did a lo cost/cost saving implementation of the software and sensor features, whereas other manufacturers did not. The relevant UN regulations concern steering control inputs rather than parking specifically, so it’s likely the Mercedes implementation is unable to satisfy regulations that the system won't engage erroneously. Big mistake, and it is the customer likely to pay, literally and physically.

When we developed autopilot system for airplanes, it was a computer flying the plane, supervised by a human ready to intervene.

When we developed driver aid systems for cars, it was the human driving the car, supervised by a computer ready to intervene.

But the new breed of autonomous cars seems to have a computer driving the car, unsupervised, which is either the best of both worlds, of the worst, depending on your point of view.

The UN directive actually makes quite a lot of sense, in that it tells car manufacturers 'hang on, you can't just go on do that'.

That said, MB being MB, they went totally the wrong way about it, as can be seen from the many posts by (rightly) angry costumers. The Dieselgate update is no different - MB making a change to the customer's car, while arrogantly imposing it without explaining and without asking, let allow any hint of compensation.

I am not an expert in cars and their systems, if there is a good reason to disable the park assist then I would be ok with it, but I should have been informed of the change of specs and offered a refund of some sort. However what I can’t understand and I would hope somebody could help me to understand is why is it dangerous to parallel park but fine to perpendicular park which my car can still do?

This is a thread I had skipped around until today.

This does not directly affect me due to the age of my car & where I have it serviced.

I have seen a few comments from folk saying they are old school and don't see the NEED or desire for driving assistance aids. NEED is mainly irrelevant..... There may be a number of reasons why some would like these features.....a liking of newer tech, maybe a driver with a stiff neck or simply the peace of mind if car may be driven by someone not highly talented at parking. As someone who has to drive in London occasionally I can see why some may be grateful of having driver assistance functions. In a similar vain I also understand the desire for some to have lane assist & collision avoidance systems. (My Range Rover had active cruise & it was something I never felt I prior needed but is now something that I miss).

If I was ordering a new premium car I would ideally want these functions.

If I was ordering a new premium car I would be in dispute with the seller if they removed significant prior spec prior to handover without my knowledge or consent., ( YES I am familiar with alleged small print that says spec subject to change without notice).

If I was ordering a new premium car I would expect the seller to inform me in advance of changes to specification & give me options to cancel or agree to a suitable discount.

If I had a car with such technologies working I would be reluctant to have it plugged into a STAR or other similar system that might remove features. If I had prior purchased a service pack I would be really torn as to what I would do & would expect to possibly be told that the latest update shut down features on my car.

It will be interesting to see if any recalls appear & if they are mandatory or voluntary !

There are lots of comments on here...Some seem to cite facts believed to be correct & others are perhaps more speculative or non specific. Interesting to see mention that this may affecting other brands.....Alleged speculation re future group legal action also interesting.

Stand out comments on here are the posts from JBN who allegedly seems to provide possible reasoning behind the changes. Interesting that newer tech on newest S Class indicates that model not affected. Also big respect for the OP for escalating this to the Ombudsman.

One opinion I will share is that in the UK I believe that any contract or alleged breach of contract is between the buyer and the specific UK dealer. Allegedly if a UK dealer or franchise has a need to counter claim from supplying manufacturer then that is a separate process.

Nothing else of value to offer here other than offering moral support for those & trying to do something about this..............Watching with great interest

Last edited:
When we developed autopilot system for airplanes, it was a computer flying the plane, supervised by a human ready to intervene.

When we developed driver aid systems for cars, it was the human driving the car, supervised by a computer ready to intervene.
As has been proven repeatedly, humans are much worse at monitoring automation than automation is at monitoring humans. Even in the arena of commercial aviation where training levels are high, including regular competence checks, humans can and do fail to notice when automation is misbehaving until it’s too late to act.

Relying on Joe (or Joanna) Average to monitor an autonomously driven car, assess when something has gone wrong, and take appropriate corrective action is a dangerous game.

I am not an expert in cars and their systems, if there is a good reason to disable the park assist then I would be ok with it, but I should have been informed of the change of specs and offered a refund of some sort. However what I can’t understand and I would hope somebody could help me to understand is why is it dangerous to parallel park but fine to perpendicular park which my car can still do?
This is only speculation on my part: parallel parking is a manoeuvre made in an urban environment where the potential for a vehicle, small person or inattentive big person to stray into your path is reasonably high, in comparison with a car park environment. Since this is speculation I am not advocating for any logic here, although it makes sense to me. (I would say that, wouldn't I.)

Anyone seen the youtube stuff from Nick O'Leary? In this video
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
he demo's Parking Assist.

He left this comment, so at least one dealer knew ......
*UPDATE* Please note Active Parking Assist has been removed from certain new models from approx 2020 onwards (pre built models and old models will be unaffected). This is due to the new United Nations regulation (UN-R-79). This basically requires systems like this to have a hands on / hands off sensor to detect if you have your hands on the steering wheel or not. I'm sure Mercedes-Benz are working hard on this for future models in years to come but will not be available on new cars until further notice.

Reactions: AW8
Thoughtful post above... but vid prior shared by another member on Post 68 :)

Oh :wallbash: I've not read every post, as you can see. Maybe I could have searched it 1st :dk:
:)
It's a long thread, (already at 13 pages). I think you can pardon yourself without issue. I only read all posts properly today.....you & others may have higher priorities ;)

if you want to ....report posts 255-258 for deletion....no issue for me :).

@JBD

Are you able to shed some light on this?
Two issues here. Self parking - cars are no longer allowed to steer unless they can sense that you’re touching the steering wheel. New E Class and S Class have a pressure sensing layer under the steering wheel leather which navigates this issue.

Removal of parking pilot system happened between summer and autumn last year from model year changes

Second issue is the activate lane keeping assist in some models, which is having to be turned off prior to delivery of new vehicles. From April 1st there’s a registration embargo on these cars until the recall is undertaken. It is predominantly on vehicles in the compact car range that don’t have the driving assistance package. As far as I’m aware it’s because there’s no audible warning with that system, only visual and steering vibration. With the driving assistance pack you get audible warning along with blind spot assist, so vehicles with that option should be unaffected

Both are a result of new UN worldwide legislation and I’m guessing won’t be turned on again until all vehicles in the range receive updated steering and lane keeping systems

This is only speculation on my part: parallel parking is a manoeuvre made in an urban environment where the potential for a vehicle, small person or inattentive big person to stray into your path is reasonably high, in comparison with a car park environment. Since this is speculation I am not advocating for any logic here, although it makes sense to me. (I would say that, wouldn't I.)
I don’t disagree with your speculation, it does make some sense and would no doubt be what Mercedes would try to argue. However car parks tend to have a lot of foot traffic as well, and I‘m not sure there is sufficient difference in the chances of hitting a pedestrian on the road or in a car park, especially if the driver is paying attention plus the other safety systems in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom