• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

All websites and literature such as brochures usually have a disclaimer somewhere saying something along the lines of " Not all advertised features are available on every model or in every country where the vehicle is sold"
100% agree but if you are paying for a very specific option that is advertised in the brochures, but not available for that vehicle, is the dealer taking money from us legally or illegally?

Once we sign an order for a vehicle with certain features and options and the car does not have them when they try to hand it over, then can the buyer refuse to accept this vehicle?

Hi,

I have recently picked up my new GLC 300 de and after a few days noticed the park assist wasn't working, after returning the car to the service department they spent 3 days diagnosing the issue to then tell me it was disabled due to new EU rules. I am annoyed by this as it was listed in the advert and broacher as being included with the cars, so I contacted Mercedes Central and they confirmed as follows:-

I am contacting you in response to your recent enquiry in relation to Mercedes-Benz Park Assist in your car detailed above.

"Unfortunately the information is correct, at the moment this has been disabled on all vehicles which have it. The reason for this is due to a revision in EU Regulation UN R79 relating to automotive standards and safety which comes into place as of 2021.

Please see the link below, for further information:

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:42008X0527(01)"

Has any one else had this issue and is there a way of turning it back on.

Thank you for your help in advance.
HI Everyone, new to Mercedes and this forum so please forgive any faux pas, I have the same issue as frostjr100, got my new GLC 300 premium plus at the end of November 2020 and I am loving the car but the assisted parking does not operate, contacted MercedesMe, total waste of time it was about a week before they even acknowledged my Email, contacted Mercedes Grimsby where I bought it, they said "you definitely have it and it should work", they sent me pictures of screen I should be seeing and the message I should be getting (I don't get these) tried resetting the system which was a total pain but it came back the same. Was advised to take it to my local dealer ( Mercedes Edinburgh) they gave me a printout of the datacard which they get from your vin number, this had an item [ 8B8 Active Parking Assist reduction (UN R79) ], They said this is why the assisted parking does not work, contacted Grimsby again, they had never heard of this, this was on the 31st of December, I am still waiting to hear back from them. One of the main reasons I went for the car was this facility as I am a lazy bugger when parking, but disregarding that I paid for this facility so it should work. Any update from others on this issue would be great as I may also pursue some compensation if it comes to that.

Found this:

Screenshot-20210106-001322-Chrome.jpg

And this:

Screenshot-20210106-002247-Drive.jpg
This is interesting markjay. Can you say where it is from, please? I wonder if the problem MB perceive with Active Park Assist is that they cannot classify as a category A system because the speed is not limited to 10kph.

HI Everyone, new to Mercedes and this forum so please forgive any faux pas, I have the same issue as frostjr100, got my new GLC 300 premium plus at the end of November 2020 and I am loving the car but the assisted parking does not operate, contacted MercedesMe, total waste of time it was about a week before they even acknowledged my Email, contacted Mercedes Grimsby where I bought it, they said "you definitely have it and it should work", they sent me pictures of screen I should be seeing and the message I should be getting (I don't get these) tried resetting the system which was a total pain but it came back the same. Was advised to take it to my local dealer ( Mercedes Edinburgh) they gave me a printout of the datacard which they get from your vin number, this had an item [ 8B8 Active Parking Assist reduction (UN R79) ], They said this is why the assisted parking does not work, contacted Grimsby again, they had never heard of this, this was on the 31st of December, I am still waiting to hear back from them. One of the main reasons I went for the car was this facility as I am a lazy bugger when parking, but disregarding that I paid for this facility so it should work. Any update from others on this issue would be great as I may also pursue some compensation if it comes to that.
Just a wee update, had an email from Mercedes UK customer services which says that my vehicle does not have assisted parking, no mention of UN resolutions or anything of that ilk, my reply was that I was sold a car with assisted parking (as per the order form which I offered to send them) so should I be approaching UK Trading Standards or The Motor Ombudsman. Not holding out much hope for a good outcome but you have to try. I am also wondering what will happen when I want to sell or trade the car and I say "Oh that button, its just ornamental". :)

Just a wee update, had an email from Mercedes UK customer services which says that my vehicle does not have assisted parking, no mention of UN resolutions or anything of that ilk, my reply was that I was sold a car with assisted parking (as per the order form which I offered to send them) so should I be approaching UK Trading Standards or The Motor Ombudsman. Not holding out much hope for a good outcome but you have to try. I am also wondering what will happen when I want to sell or trade the car and I say "Oh that button, its just ornamental". :)
Have sent a complaint to The Motor Ombudsman. Will update what happens.

I think the OP should ask himself what is he practically looking to achieve.

He is unlikely to be successful in forcing MB to activate this feature (without a lengthy and potentially-expensive legal process).

So he could choose to just wait and see what happens next.

Or he could probe to see if MB are open to a settlement agreement based on an offer of some form of compensation - a partial refund, or a free Service Care Plan, or another year of warranty, etc.

Or he could try rejecting the vehicle on the premise that it does not meet his requirements - e.g., if the OP has a narrow garage and wouldn't have bought such a wide car without the Active Park Assist, or that the availability of this feature was otherwise a significant consideration when choosing this model.

Or he could try legal action or arbitration, perhaps through Trading Standards or the Ombudsman etc.

But in any event, it would be good to understand what the 'legal' issue is exactly - i.e. are car manufacturers simply not allowed to activate this feature under EU regulations, or is it the case that MB chose not to activate it because of either liability concerns or possible future regulation changes etc. If MB are simply not able to activate it due to a specific current legal prohibition or ban, then the only way forward is some form of financial compensation. If, however, MB chose not to activate this feature only because of related legal concerns that they may have, then, well, that's where things can get really interesting from the legal perspective (though in reality it is unlikely to ever get that far).
.....or, he/she could learn to reverse park!

Ernie

Aye thanks for that Ernie, I am perfectly capable of reverse parking, the issue is that MB didn't tell the dealer that they were selling the car with the Assisted parking removed and they in turn didn't tell me so as far as I am concerned I was mis sold the car, MB Customer Services took the line that the car did not come with assisted parking (not that it had been removed), so why does it have the button and why did the dealer think it had and why was it listed on the order form which I signed. Have went to the Motor Ombudsman. What I want to achieve is either re enable it or compensate me in some way as I have overpaid for the car. I don't want to return the car as its nice to drive and everything else works fine. It is a GLC Premium Plus it should have all the equipment as per the order form.

Page 23 Driving Assistance Package at circa £1700 seems to do all the tasks listed in the UN regs list above........ totally confused.com?
The OP is complaining about the deletion of parking assist, which was never part of the Driving Assistance package, although I believe that the active lane change assist (which was) is also now deleted. In addition, the brochure you have linked to was for Dec 2019 production and I believe will now be superseded.

Please PM me the reg of your vehicle or your VIN. I'll look at the options and see what they have done. (i.e option code change, or change to software ...)

R

Hi Richard, thanks for the offer, I already got a printout from Edinburgh Mercedes which shows that The data card has "Active Parking Reduction ( UN R79) " on it so I know that's why it doesn't work. I just got an E Mail from MB Customer service today which was the first one where they admitted this. See Below:

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

"In response to your question about the parking assist function in your vehicle not being operational, unfortunately due to EU Regulation UN R79 which is relating to automotive standards, we are no longer able to offer this function in several of our vehicles. We are sorry if this may come as a disappointment, but currently there is no prospect of being able to reactivate this for your vehicle in the future."

I informed them that due to the tone of previous emails where they basically said my vehicle didn't have it and basically treating me like an idiot I had already contacted The Motor Ombudsman.

Even if I could get it re enabled privately I wouldn't as it would probably invalidate my insurance.

Tom

PS cant PM you as I don't have enough posts

I think that the pertinent question here is if what MB have done can be revered by someone who knows what he's doing ;)

Hi Richard, thanks for the offer, I already got a printout from Edinburgh Mercedes which shows that The data card has "Active Parking Reduction ( UN R79) " on it so I know that's why it doesn't work. I just got an E Mail from MB Customer service today which was the first one where they admitted this. See Below:

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

"In response to your question about the parking assist function in your vehicle not being operational, unfortunately due to EU Regulation UN R79 which is relating to automotive standards, we are no longer able to offer this function in several of our vehicles. We are sorry if this may come as a disappointment, but currently there is no prospect of being able to reactivate this for your vehicle in the future."

I informed them that due to the tone of previous emails where they basically said my vehicle didn't have it and basically treating me like an idiot I had already contacted The Motor Ombudsman.

Even if I could get it re enabled privately I wouldn't as it would probably invalidate my insurance.

Tom

PS cant PM you as I don't have enough posts
I expect there is little chance of MB offering any further explanation, and it wouldn't help you anyway, but it would be interesting to know what specifically has caused them to disable the feature. Reading the EU regulation, there is nothing obvious. Other manufacturers seem to be coping and, according to the reply you have received, it does not apply to all MB vehicles. The only thing I can see in the regulation is the need to provide a safety case. If that is the problem, one wonders where they stand in relation to the many vehicles which still have the system enabled.

The OP is complaining about the deletion of parking assist, which was never part of the Driving Assistance package, although I believe that the active lane change assist (which was) is also now deleted. In addition, the brochure you have linked to was for Dec 2019 production and I believe will now be superseded.
2020 brouchure also refers to Active Parking Package...... see page 12 and 34 in the attached. So I must maintain my confused.com membership

Parking package including 360° camera – Active Parking Assist makes it easier to find and select a parking space as well as to enter or leave parallel and end-on parking spaces or garages. The 360° camera transfers a realistic image to the multimedia system’s display, thus providing assistance when parking and manoeuvring

Last edited:
2020 brouchure also refers to Active Parking Package...... see page 12 and 34 in the attached. So I must maintain my confused.com membership

Parking package including 360° camera – Active Parking Assist makes it easier to find and select a parking space as well as to enter or leave parallel and end-on parking spaces or garages. The 360° camera transfers a realistic image to the multimedia system’s display, thus providing assistance when parking and manoeuvring

You are correct, so perhaps the feature is still available on the E class. However, the OP is complaining about his GLC. If you look at the equivalent GLC brochure, it makes no reference to Active Parking Assist, only Parking Assist : "Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC – visual and audible warning of detected obstacles based on distance and position and on detecting crossing traffic when reversing out of a parking space. System is able to briefly limit the moving-off speed when an obstacle is detected in the direction of travel". There is then either the 360 or reversing camera, depending on trim level. Clearly, the 360 camera provides assistance but your emboldened text is not really relevant. The OP is complaining about the deletion of the Active bit, which would search for and automatically manoeuvre the vehicle in to and out of parking spaces.
If you also compare the descriptions of the Driving Assistant features in the GLC and E brochures, you will see that the GLC lacks the Active Lane Keeping Assist (automatic lane centring) and neither has the automatic lane change function that this package used to include. As the OP does not (I believe) have this package, the changes will not affect him but I think are connected.

Sorry still confused, this thread started off as the active assisted parking had been removed due to UN and/or an EU dictate. So if that's the case it doesn't matter if the car is a GLC, E class or any other class. So I'm still confused.com

That is the reason given by MB. If you read my earlier comments, you will see that I have said that, if that explanation is correct, there must be something peculiar to MB (and it now seems specific models within the MB range) that has caused the change. In my opinion, there is nothing in the EU/UN regulation that outlaws such systems and that would seem self-evident given that their removal is confined to MB, and even only a subset of their models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom