• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Sorry still confused, this thread started off as the active assisted parking had been removed due to UN and/or an EU dictate. So if that's the case it doesn't matter if the car is a GLC, E class or any other class. So I'm still confused.com
This is a nice discussion, however during deliberations with Grimsby Mercedes I explained that my friend has a 2019 model of the same car, I got him to try my new car and he was amazed that I did not have the assisted parking function ( I get that the cameras assist you to park, as does looking in the rear view mirror, but that's not my understanding of parktronic) anyway I went through a whole palaver of different button presses with Grimsby Mercedes so they were definitely of the opinion that the car should search for a space and then take over and drive into it when requested, it doesn't do any of that.

Quote from Mercedes Customer Services:
"In response to your question about the parking assist function in your vehicle not being operational, unfortunately due to EU Regulation UN R79 which is relating to automotive standards, we are no longer able to offer this function in several of our vehicles. We are sorry if this may come as a disappointment, but currently there is no prospect of being able to reactivate this for your vehicle in the future."

So the car could have the function re enabled if Mercedes changed their policy ( you can't reactivate something that doesn't exist)

Tom

Extract from MB "Guides" Mobile App below for the 2019 E class. ( It could be that newer systems have embedded technology utilising road beacons, signs and other external data, etc, to steer. - from what I read using such external data is now not allowed.)

"
Active Parking Assist is an electronic parking assistance system which uses ultrasound and is automatically activated during forward travel. The system is operational at speeds of up to approximately 35 km/h. When all the conditions are fulfilled, the
abb218180b52e800354ae36531593424_1_-----.png
symbol appears in the multifunction display and the system automatically searches for and measures parking spaces on both sides of the vehicle parallel and perpendicular to the direction of travel. If Active Parking Assist is activated, suitable parking spaces are displayed in the multimedia system. The
28758fc30b536369354ae36531593424_1_-----.png
symbol appears in the multifunction display. The arrows show on which side of the carriageway free parking spaces are located.

The parking space and, if necessary, the parking direction can be selected as desired. Active Parking Assist calculates a suitable vehicle path and assists you in parking and exiting the parking space.

Vehicles with automatic transmission: Active Parking Assist changes gear, accelerates, brakes and steers the vehicle.

Active Parking Assist is only an aid. It is not a substitute for your attention to the surroundings. The responsibility for safe

I know it's not the same model, but I have this on my CLA "8B6 Park Assist with cross-traffic function (UN R79)" and active park assist works, tested in the supermarket carpark

Extract from MB "Guides" Mobile App below for the 2019 E class. ( It could be that newer systems have embedded technology utilising road beacons, signs and other external data, etc, to steer. - from what I read using such external data is now not allowed.)

"
Active Parking Assist is an electronic parking assistance system which uses ultrasound and is automatically activated during forward travel. The system is operational at speeds of up to approximately 35 km/h. When all the conditions are fulfilled, the
abb218180b52e800354ae36531593424_1_-----.png
symbol appears in the multifunction display and the system automatically searches for and measures parking spaces on both sides of the vehicle parallel and perpendicular to the direction of travel. If Active Parking Assist is activated, suitable parking spaces are displayed in the multimedia system. The
28758fc30b536369354ae36531593424_1_-----.png
symbol appears in the multifunction display. The arrows show on which side of the carriageway free parking spaces are located.

The parking space and, if necessary, the parking direction can be selected as desired. Active Parking Assist calculates a suitable vehicle path and assists you in parking and exiting the parking space.

Vehicles with automatic transmission: Active Parking Assist changes gear, accelerates, brakes and steers the vehicle.

Active Parking Assist is only an aid. It is not a substitute for your attention to the surroundings. The responsibility for safe
I have read similar to this, my car is not doing any of that, no search for a parking space, whether button pressed or not, no <P> to indicate there is a space available, no option to choose the space. Its all been disabled at the factory.

I know it's not the same model, but I have this on my CLA "8B6 Park Assist with cross-traffic function (UN R79)" and active park assist works, tested in the supermarket carpark
I think this change came in at September 2020, so it shouldn't affect cars built before then, that's my main issue, Mercedes should have told there UK dealerships about the change, I didn't order my car until November 2020.

One possible explanation is that - according to the UN regulation - the system can't be operational at speeds higher then 10 Km/h (6.25 mph).

It is possible that with some implementation of the system (e.g. on the E-Class) the car can't exceed this speed, while with other (e.g. GLC), it can.

Although, if this was the case, then surely it only takes a minor software adjustments to impose the 10 Km/h speed limit?

One possible explanation is that - according to the UN regulation - the system can't be operational at speeds higher then 10 Km/h (6.25 mph).

It is possible that with some implementation of the system (e.g. on the E-Class) the car can't exceed this speed, while with other (e.g. GLC), it can.

Although, if this was the case, then surely it only takes a minor software adjustments to impose the 10 Km/h speed limit?
That's what I thought when I read one of the posts above. However the regulation itself doesn't include any speed stipulation and I am pretty sure the speed is not differently controlled in different models. So we are back guessing exactly what part of the regulation MB believe they are not compliant with. None of which helps the OP.

That's what I thought when I read one of the posts above. However the regulation itself doesn't include any speed stipulation and I am pretty sure the speed is not differently controlled in different models. So we are back guessing exactly what part of the regulation MB believe they are not compliant with. None of which helps the OP.

It's academic interest on our part, agreed.

At any rate, I don't think the OP can win this on the technical aspect - i.e. trying to get the Ombudsman (or court, if it gets to that) to consult experts and rule on the intricacies of the UN regulations, or on the legality of reactivating this feature. So it's unlikely that the result will be that MB are instructed to reactivate this feature (if this is even possible).

However, the OP will likely have better results if claiming in respect of his consumer rights. The product was at the very least 'not as described', and in some circumstances might even be considered 'not fit for purpose' (e.g. if the OP specifically told the sales person that he needed a car that can park itself, or if the OP has a disability that makes it difficult for him to use the car without this feature, etc).

If the ruling is that the product was indeed 'not as described', then the appropriate compensation would be the amount that this feature would have cost as an option (to the extended that this can be quantified), or the difference in market value between the OP's car and other similar cars that do have this feature.

If the ruling is 'not fit for purpose', then the OP might be able to hand back the car against full refund (less cost of usage based on mileage).

Hi, due to Covid and to be honest to get a better deal I bought my car remotely through CARWOW at Mercedes Grimsby. I actually love the car and won’t be returning it whatever the outcome, my main issues are that Mercedes UK took a rather high handed attitude to my queries, that they hadn’t informed the dealer of the changes and also One of the reasons I went for the GLC was the self parking function ( I can park fine it just sounded interesting). I test drove a Discovery Sport, a Volvo XC60 and an Audi Q5 the Mercedes was the best car to drive. I am under no illusions of a satisfactory outcome but I wanted to highlight this and nothing ventured nothing gained.

Hi, due to Covid and to be honest to get a better deal I bought my car remotely through CARWOW at Mercedes Grimsby. I actually love the car and won’t be returning it whatever the outcome, my main issues are that Mercedes UK took a rather high handed attitude to my queries, that they hadn’t informed the dealer of the changes and also One of the reasons I went for the GLC was the self parking function ( I can park fine it just sounded interesting). I test drove a Discovery Sport, a Volvo XC60 and an Audi Q5 the Mercedes was the best car to drive. I am under no illusions of a satisfactory outcome but I wanted to highlight this and nothing ventured nothing gained.
I think your position is entirely reasonable. Towards the end of last year (around October/November) my wife was looking at buying a new A class. It would have been with the Driving Assist package. The salesperson did warn us (although not with 100% accuracy) about the impending changes to this and the standard active parking assist. So I think the information was out there. I am not suggesting it was deliberately concealed from you, but I think you could reasonably have expected to be informed. My worry is that I might have a "software enhancement" applied to my current car, removing features.

I think this change came in at September 2020, so it shouldn't affect cars built before then, that's my main issue, Mercedes should have told there UK dealerships about the change, I didn't order my car until November 2020.
My car wasn't built until October / November-ish, arrived in the UK on 1st December, so either way was built after September.

I think your position is entirely reasonable. Towards the end of last year (around October/November) my wife was looking at buying a new A class. It would have been with the Driving Assist package. The salesperson did warn us (although not with 100% accuracy) about the impending changes to this and the standard active parking assist. So I think the information was out there. I am not suggesting it was deliberately concealed from you, but I think you could reasonably have expected to be informed. My worry is that I might have a "software enhancement" applied to my current car, removing features.
Hi, thanks for that, I would hope that they wouldn’t do that, but I would definetely query it and insist they left it as is.

I just picked up my new Mercedes C Class Estate with park assist and parktronic. Had discussed with the salesman to be sure of my understanding of what I was buying as I wanted the feature.
Collected the car a few days ago. Doesn’t work. None of the feature works. Furious. 100% miss sold. Salesman said knew nothing of it. Its the end of Jan 2021 when I collected the car, how can I be the only person that has brought this to the dealers attention?!
I’m stunned at the dishonesty of Mercedes and the dealer. And it is dishonest. All my documents and the spec sheet says it has the feature. I should have been informed of this prior to purchase/collection as it was known to them and kept from me while supplying materials with specs I wouldn’t receive. Dishonest. Deliberately dishonest.
No judge would fail to see the dishonesty.

Totally agree with you Mark which is why I have put a complaint into the Motor Ombudsman, You can’t really value this function but I put it at £5,000 as they ask for this. I also felt cheated and considering the car was nearly £50,000 I think I / we were entitled to better treatment from Mercedes. The annoying thing is that I love the car so even if I could return the car I wouldn’t. I don’t know if you realised this yet but for some strange reason Mercedes cars come with no plastic covers over the wheelnuts. Pretty trivial compared to the assisted parking issue but annoying just the same. Good Luck with getting the function enabled. Tam.

Totally agree with you Mark which is why I have put a complaint into the Motor Ombudsman, You can’t really value this function but I put it at £5,000 as they ask for this. I also felt cheated and considering the car was nearly £50,000 I think I / we were entitled to better treatment from Mercedes. The annoying thing is that I love the car so even if I could return the car I wouldn’t. I don’t know if you realised this yet but for some strange reason Mercedes cars come with no plastic covers over the wheelnuts. Pretty trivial compared to the assisted parking issue but annoying just the same. Good Luck with getting the function enabled. Tam.
I just picked up my new Mercedes C Class Estate with park assist and parktronic. Had discussed with the salesman to be sure of my understanding of what I was buying as I wanted the feature.
Collected the car a few days ago. Doesn’t work. None of the feature works. Furious. 100% miss sold. Salesman said knew nothing of it. Its the end of Jan 2021 when I collected the car, how can I be the only person that has brought this to the dealers attention?!
I’m stunned at the dishonesty of Mercedes and the dealer. And it is dishonest. All my documents and the spec sheet says it has the feature. I should have been informed of this prior to purchase/collection as it was known to them and kept from me while supplying materials with specs I wouldn’t receive. Dishonest. Deliberately dishonest.
No judge would fail to see the dishonesty.
I only found out today of the situation with my car and it missing Park Assist functionality. It is just a few days after collection hence I am very raw. I am unable to edit or delete my post (unless anyone knows how?) as I have been unfair to suggest the dealer was dishonest. I simply cannot know if they knew of the situation and that it would affect my car. They did seem honest throughout the sales process and when I brought the issue to their attention they seemed as surprised as me so I should be fair and give the benefit they didn't know. However Mercedes themselves simply have been dishonest as there is no excuse for not being sure to avail their website, dealers and sales people of the full facts clearly. How can they let their sales network sell a feature that they know they have removed!! I didn't buy blind, I was totally mislead by Mercedes. Hoodwinked. And I really do not know what to do. They said they would book the car in to their service and will need it for a week! But now I read that this is pointless since others on this thread have trod the same path only to have Mercedes say it cannot and will not be rectified. That leaves me rejecting the vehicle! What a mess and stress. What is worse this is the third Mercedes in a row that has been miss sold to me! See Mercedes emissions scandal, I have two that were affected by Mercedes wanton dishonesty ! and now a third! they clearly have form and have learned nothing. They must have governments in their pockets to repeatedly get away with grand scale fraudulent behaviour without any of them going to prison as I would if I behaved like that.

....How can they let their sales network sell a feature that they know they have removed!!....

First things first... run your car's VIN through a VIN decoder to make sure that you actually have the same issue as described in this thread.

Check if your car's options list includes this one:

'8B8 Active Parking Assist reduction (UN R79)'

Mark, this is all bad. But the 3rd MB mis sold to you ? Honestly mate They would have not got even a second chance with me. I have (thankfully) missed out on all this new MB $hit because I bought an old one (that I like very much) , but even the tiny amount of interaction I have had with MB main dealers has put me off buying a new one ...ever.

I get it that happy customers rarely post on line about how happy they are , but since I joined here some of the main dealer stories beggar belief.

I have no reason to believe it is any better than at Audi/BMW/VAG etc , but pi$$ poor main dealer interaction seems to be quite normal these days.

First things first... run your car's VIN through a VIN decoder to make sure that you actually have the same issue as described in this thread.

Check if your car's options list includes this one:

'8B8 Active Parking Assist reduction (UN R79)'
Thanks Markjay, I haven't done that myself but the dealer today did look at the firmware and mentioned the vin (so I think they did as you suggest) and showed me a line item with Parking Assist reduction and UN so I think it is affected. The manufacture date was mid September 2020.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom