Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Who needs that /\

All I want is this \/

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Slightly OT, but it wouldn't be the first time that car manufacturers haven't checked the legislation before fitting a feature to their vehicles; in 2018 SEAT started fitting mobile phone signal boosters to their cars until someone pointed out that the use of these was illegal in the UK.
Anyway, whilst I can appreciate the technology, I seem to have managed to drive and park my vehicles reasonably successfully for the past 30-odd years without needing to rely on 'park assist', 'lane assist' or most other assorted 'assists'.

Sorry to thread Jack a little bit look at the facts and meet them head on

EU regulation of 2021 - it is 2020 therefore put it active and leave it there.

EU 2021 - sorry, not in there in 2021. Put it active and leave it there.

Listed as a feature of the vehicle when I bought it. Either you sold me something I cannot use or have stolen something I paid for. Put it back and leave it there.

Do not take any sh*t from them - you pay a lot of money to help keep their business open.

The three points I make would terrify any dealer when confronted as they have no binary answer to any of them.

And yes, I would do it - anybody that knows me will back that up and know that I simply do not lose

Slightly OT, but it wouldn't be the first time that car manufacturers haven't checked the legislation before fitting a feature to their vehicles; in 2018 SEAT started fitting mobile phone signal boosters to their cars until someone pointed out that the use of these was illegal in the UK.
Anyway, whilst I can appreciate the technology, I seem to have managed to drive and park my vehicles reasonably successfully for the past 30-odd years without needing to rely on 'park assist', 'lane assist' or most other assorted 'assists'.
As I have pointed out earlier, there is nothing in the regulations that makes active parking systems illegal. Other manufacturers are continuing to offer them, and the interesting question is why MB feel that they are not compliant.

Sorry to thread Jack a little bit look at the facts and meet them head on

EU regulation of 2021 - it is 2020 therefore put it active and leave it there.

EU 2021 - sorry, not in there in 2021. Put it active and leave it there.

Listed as a feature of the vehicle when I bought it. Either you sold me something I cannot use or have stolen something I paid for. Put it back and leave it there.

Do not take any sh*t from them - you pay a lot of money to help keep their business open.

The three points I make would terrify any dealer when confronted as they have no binary answer to any of them.

And yes, I would do it - anybody that knows me will back that up and know that I simply do not lose
It is a regulation of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ECE), not the EU.

As I have pointed out earlier, there is nothing in the regulations that makes active parking systems illegal. Other manufacturers are continuing to offer them, and the interesting question is why MB feel that they are not compliant.

The official response prepared by the PR department and distributed to the public via customer services isn't necessarily the actual real reason behind this.

More likely it has to do with legal advice that MB received regarding the manufacturer's potential liability in the event of a personal injury, rather than a straightforward case of compliance with UK legal requirements.

We had a member here who posted a similar response from MB customer services regarding why the instrument cluster has a different layout in the UK - the official resply from MB claimed it was a 'legal requirement' in the UK - when in fact cars with non-UK layout are perfectly legal in the UK (the real reason is that if you travel to the Continent and pull-up the speed display in Kmh, you can't use any of the cluster menus, so it's a convenience issue rather than a legal one).

It is a regulation of the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations (UN/ECE), not the EU.
If he paid for the service/feature then it should matter not a jot - contract law will then apply to the sale and supply of the vehicle.

If he paid for the service/feature then it should matter not a jot - contract law will then apply to the sale and supply of the vehicle.

The courts won't enforce an illegal clause in a civil contract.

MB will claim that it's illegal... the OP will have to prove it isn't.

If it was a part of the detailed specification on the vehicle build then it is a simple de facto point

But if that speciation became'illegal' before handover MB would be open to prosecution for supplying a product in contravention of the regulations.
The least they should do is compensate the purchaser either financially or some upgrade.

We are still discussing something that may, or may not be factually correct. Has every new Mercedes purchased in this country had this feature switched off?

I fully accept that owners of vehicles with this option might no longer use it but when we buy a new vehicle, then I would personally try it, just to see what, and how it works.

Mercedes UK must have sold hundreds, if not thousands of vehicles with this feature and if we are to believe what we read, it is now being turned off when the vehicle comes in to be serviced.

First point first
if I bought a new vehicle and discovered this feature was not working. I would be creating merry hell.

Second point
If my vehicle went in for a service and they disconnected this feature, then the second sentence in my first point will once again apply.

Would it be fair to suggest that this forum might get inundated with complaints if this was to happen? If it has happened then hopefully members will have received the reason why it has been switched off and this has to be in writing with the signature of those making the statement

They are still specifying it on the configurator. Surely that would be removed if they were disabling it

They are still specifying it on the configurator. Surely that would be removed if they were disabling it
Yup, one of the points I made earlier in this thread.

I do not disbelieve the OP, I am simply concerned that I have ordered this feature and have been assured it is still an option and it still works. I am old enough and wise enough not to believe what a car salesperson tells me without checking it out and no way will I take delivery if this feature is not present.

I have already had a deposit returned when the new E-class we ordered did not come with the options we had requested (through NO FAULT of the supplying dealer)

Cant see how they can switch it off remotely. The system is not that intelligent. Bring up lots of safety & liability problems. ie if you were in mid park then hit a car or someone?? Even though you are supposed to be in control, they would be interfering with something outwith your control.

Mine had a service this year and it hasn't been turned off. Be interesting to see what happens next year.

Thank you all for your comments, my main issue with all this is that they are selling the cars with all the advertising still stating they come with features that simply are not working on delivery. They should be made to have something on there website that cannot be missed clearly informing customers what they are getting.

I will wait for MBUK's response in the next couple of days and take it from there.
All websites and literature such as brochures usually have a disclaimer somewhere saying something along the lines of " Not all advertised features are available on every model or in every country where the vehicle is sold"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom