Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Reinstating a function disabled because it doesn't comply with (international?) regulations would surely render the vehicle illegal for road use and therefore insurance invalidated?
It's not quite that simple BUT I take your point..... Thus I will add - Nobody should reinstate these functions, (or fail to disclose such modifications).

Last edited:
That’s interesting- my sales / build on the VIN decoder too is showing
Production Date2021-03-26

So this would explain why it’s on but de activated after.

Slightly more concerning is still how my dealer has absolutely no knowledge of the reason it’s not there - and he’s told me its still a product they are selling.
What model is it?

Hi Guys,

Ive been reading this very carefully, and was very ….very frustrated, as it wouldn’t be the first time being let down by MB customer service. My Vito 2017, with park assist been serviced end of Jan 21, and they did (without even asking) performed software update – as they told me afterwards – there was a recall. You can only imagine my response….

To cut the story short – I’ve been driving around few quieter streets today to find good parking conditions, and I can confirm that my Vito still parks on “its own” both parallel and reverse into a tight spot as well.

So mine wasn’t affected. Next time I’ll go to a dealer, ill print A4 page with capital letters: “do not perform any software updates without my knowledge and permission”.

Hi Guys,

Ive been reading this very carefully, and was very ….very frustrated, as it wouldn’t be the first time being let down by MB customer service. My Vito 2017, with park assist been serviced end of Jan 21, and they did (without even asking) performed software update – as they told me afterwards – there was a recall. You can only imagine my response….

To cut the story short – I’ve been driving around few quieter streets today to find good parking conditions, and I can confirm that my Vito still parks on “its own” both parallel and reverse into a tight spot as well.

So mine wasn’t affected. Next time I’ll go to a dealer, ill print A4 page with capital letters: “do not perform any software updates without my knowledge and permission”.

Possibly the 'software update' was the Dieselgate emissions update?

Been digging a little deeper today.
seems that MBUK have been disabling the full park assist functionality- but actually they are allowed to keep the bay parking part. Just not the parallel park part. However they are blanket turning off park assist totally.
This may be incorrect information but I’ve spoken to a few people who have said they new cars from April 2021 are being ‘butchered’ and rather than being selective over what they disable - they’re just knocking the whole lot off.

may be wrong information of course.

The parking disabling is on new cars- sold from March/April 2021 onwards.

If I understood correctly, then Passo says in his post that his Active Parking Assist was in fact not disabled - so I was trying to speculate what the recall software update might have been - given that it appears to not have disabled his parking assist.

I cancelled my order in the end. Having this feature disabled after I placed my order, not being refunded for them removing it and it taking over a month to deliver a car that was supposedly already in stock with MB saying week after week "it's a logistics issue, will be here next week" - I was called on the day my handover was booked as it was definitely coming this time (lol) saying there was still a logistics issue and to wait another week so I told them to keep it as I'd had enough! I can't see myself ordering again from Mercedes any time soon. This was my first brand new car purchase, really thought Mercedes would have been on top of their game but it was the worst car buying experience I've ever had. New non-Mercedes car arriving next week which has taken a matter of days to sort and it even has parking assist!

If I understood correctly, then Passo says in his post that his Active Parking Assist was in fact not disabled - so I was trying to speculate what the recall software update might have been - given that it appears to not have disabled his parking assist.
Yes because his car is 2017. The disabling is this year onwards basically and then it seems they dont have a clue what they're doing with it.

Possibly the 'software update' was the Dieselgate emissions update?
Not sure, it was updated once already, it was over a year ago, but on that occasion, (other dealer) did ask, and also gave me a piece of paper to sign. This time, they told me over the phone afterwards, ...and BTW didn't fix the original problem!

ing is on new cars- sold from March/April 2021 onwards.
The parking disabling is on new cars- sold from March/April 2021 onwards.
true, but few posts above members are asking, if MB is disabling everyone, or just the new ones recently ordered / being ordered. In my case, it was not disabled. :cool: But I was a bit angry, as ive been driving slowly through a good few parking spots first, and it wouldn't do it. LOL "P" was on and of the display. Luckily it still works.

Well it's now knocking on for 4pm and I've been at the dealers since 12 for them to try and fix the issue, they've told me my car should have park assist enabled as it was registered in March but they continue to scratch their heads trying to figure out why it's not working....

Been digging a little deeper today.
seems that MBUK have been disabling the full park assist functionality- but actually they are allowed to keep the bay parking part. Just not the parallel park part. However they are blanket turning off park assist totally.
This may be incorrect information but I’ve spoken to a few people who have said they new cars from April 2021 are being ‘butchered’ and rather than being selective over what they disable - they’re just knocking the whole lot off.

may be wrong information of course.
Received wisdom was that perpendicular parking should still be working, but indeed I have now tried a couple of times and it appears also to have been disabled on my December 2020 build.

Since I also have the Driving Assistance Plus package (23P Pack assistance de conduite Plus) I also should have expected assisted lane changing when driving on cruise control - signal to pull out and the car completes the manoeuvre. At least, that is what happened on my car of last year (build date February 2020) but is now missing. So basically all forms of semi-autonomous driving are gone, which is (more than) sad.

Well it's now knocking on for 4pm and I've been at the dealers since 12 for them to try and fix the issue, they've told me my car should have park assist enabled as it was registered in March but they continue to scratch their heads trying to figure out why it's not working....
good luck mate, with mine, they didn't only scratched heads, also my bodywork while checking some wheel bearing covers. Seriously, Ive been to 3 different dealers, and each were absolutely shocking experience.

Check your VIN in MBdecoder.com and look for 8B8 Active Parking Assist Reduction (UN R79)

EDIT; and never mind the registration date, check your build date as being later than November 2020

Check your VIN in MBdecoder.com and look for 8B8 Active Parking Assist Reduction (UN R79)

EDIT; and never mind the registration date, check your build date as being later than November 2020
Thanks for this, so the dealer continues to scratch their head, however they provided two print outs - the datacard and also OASIS vehicle enquiry.

The datacard does indeed show 8B8 and the OASIS shows a left factory date of 4/12/2020.

On the back of this the dealer has buggered up my 360 camera, which I didn't notice until I came to park the car when I got home... I've got to take it back 1st thing for a recalibration of some sort, and I've also written an email to the supplying dealer with the above information with my intent to reject the vehicle as it does not meet the agreed specification.

<BANGS HEAD>

On the back of this the dealer has buggered up my 360 camera, which I didn't notice until I came to park the car when I got home... I've got to take it back 1st thing for a recalibration of some sort, and I've also written an email to the supplying dealer with the above information with my intent to reject the vehicle as it does not meet the agreed specification.

<BANGS HEAD>
That is indeed total rubbish, sorry to hear it.

So out of interest - is this something that could be re-coded back on by someone who codes MB cars? Is this a straight forward software thing do we think?
We have looked into this and its not something that independents can code. If the legislation changes and Mercedes deem it allowable again, then it is they who can reverse the change. They may at that time, if it ever comes, then allow independents with factory supported Xentry to re-enable it. Until then im afraid it is what it is as they say!

We have looked into this and its not something that independents can code. If the legislation changes and Mercedes deem it allowable again, then it is they who can reverse the change. They may at that time, if it ever comes, then allow independents with factory supported Xentry to re-enable it. Until then im afraid it is what it is as they say!
well... Id rather have my van serviced elsewhere, rather than loose options that I like to use, and most importantly I paid for. ...this is communism, when they tell you what you need and what you don't need, and what you can or cannot have! ...and if they say - its for your own good and safety, its nazizm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom