Park Assists Disabled on all new Mercedes help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Park assist should bring a display up something like the attached image with a blue radar, mine has been changed to default to the front and 360 camera and if I manually select the top park button I get no scanning blue radar.

View attachment 105563cann
hi all

the parking pilot have been disabled on ALL new cars it’s a UN R79 ruling on self drive cars. Same thing happened to my new cla 2 months old and my wife new gla 2 months old too. I used this feature on parallel parking and I miss it because I am useless on parallel parking. BTW it still works on bay parking. It’s in the United ruling 79 I got our lawyer involved too.

in Europe where we live few months of the year in Spain I have bought a new cla too and they activated it by signing a disclaimer letter.

https://unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2018/R079r4e.pdf

I have received the following update from Mercedes, as far as I can see they have removed the word Active, I am not sure how the car should operate with just park assist? They have also confirmed that my car should have it so why can't it be turned on?

Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.

I have confirmed with our Marketing Department that Active Park Assist has correctly been removed from all Marketing communications. The functions which you refer to are still available. "Parking Assist with PARKTRONIC and "Parking Package with 360° camera". However, Active Park Assist has been discontinued as per EU Regulation UN R79, as described in our previous correspondence.

The "Active" part of the Park Assist feature has been discontinued. Moving forward a car will no longer actively search for parking positions at low speeds.

I can confirm that your Mercedes-Benz GLC still maintains the Active Park Assist feature. It is recorded on the car’s Specification Sheet as Code: 235 ACTIVE PARKING ASSISTANCE

Please refer to your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer for assistance with this function. All our Retailers are privy to the same information as this office. However, should you wish us to investigate this with your Retailer, please inform us of the Mercedes-Benz Retailer involved.

Should you have any further requirements please do not hesitate to contact us.
hi all

the parking pilot have been disabled on ALL new cars it’s a UN R79 ruling on self drive cars. Same thing happened to my new cla 2 months old and my wife new gla 2 months old too. I used this feature on parallel parking and I miss it because I am useless on parallel parking. BTW it still works on bay parking. It’s in the United ruling 79 I got our lawyer involved too.

in Europe where we live few months of the year in Spain I have bought a new cla too and they activated it by signing a disclaimer letter.

hi all

The issues raised in this thread are more about how MB mishandled the situation (at least in the UK).

Firstly, they must have known about the UN Directive for quite some time, yet they continued to make non-compliant cars instead of fixing the issue.

They have also continued to advertise this feature in their sales materials.

Then, when they realised their mistake, they have deactivated the feature at the production line, without notifying their dealer network and their customers.

So the dealers continued to tell customers that this feature is included in the options they purchased, long after MB started removing it.

And, when customers received their cars, and tried using this feature but obviously couldn't, dealers told them they weren't using it properly, and even got the customers to bring-in their cars to be checked, wasting customers time and generally upsetting them.

Then finally, they broke the news to the customers, that the promised feature isn’t there and will never be, withoth a word of apology, let alone any offer of compensation. Instead, customers who complained were sent a "sue us" letter.

Disclaimer: I don't personally have a self parking Merc... the above is my view of what happened, based on members' posts.

Had my car serviced last month at Mercedes Newbury. Asked if they had any intention of disabling the parking system as I said I didn’t wanted it done. They said they don’t do it and wouldn't. They didn’t seem at all fussed about it. Different garages, different out comes.

Mines been serviced twice by mb and its still working.
My E63 has just had its 3rd year service completed.
I have the active park assist, and remote parking pilot fully working still.
I must admit though, I rarely use them. Remote parking is handy when getting the car out of a tight parking space, when some clown has parked too close to the drivers side

All dealers were notified of the removal of the self park feature and what models are affected as well. The sales team should have informed the customers of this when the ordered the package in question as far as I'm aware there is no intention to switch back on in the near future but from what I can tell from looking at a vehicle which had this issue mentioned it must be a software code taken off to stop it from working.

....The sales team should have informed the customers of this when the ordered the package in question...

Quite a few members here said they were not informed at any point, neither before or after taking delivery of the car, and initially both the sales people and the tech staff were unaware of this even months after the car was delivered to the (now complaining) customer.

My E63 has just had its 3rd year service completed.
I have the active park assist, and remote parking pilot fully working still.
I must admit though, I rarely use them. Remote parking is handy when getting the car out of a tight parking space, when some clown has parked too close to the drivers side
Hi ,well if the car belongs to you did you give permission to allow for the self parking to be disabled.

How will all the parking aids be disabled effect the future of your car when you sell the car in the future.

Your car appears to be non compliant of the Construction and use regulations prior to removal of self parking options.

I doubt that this is an industry wide problem

If it was my car I would not be a happy bunny.

All dealers were notified of the removal of the self park feature and what models are affected as well. The sales team should have informed the customers of this when the ordered the package in question as far as I'm aware there is no intention to switch back on in the near future but from what I can tell from looking at a vehicle which had this issue mentioned it must be a software code taken off to stop it from working.
It's a software code added to stop it working which can not be removed by the dealers (or in fact Mercedes UK). My belief is that visiting a dealer for firmware/software/etc won't disable it as they'd have to have the code added and recode various ECU. Unless Mercedes have added the code to some vehicles and asked Mercedes to code the modules - but that just seems highly unlikely (and certainly my GLC has not had this code added to it magically).

Hi ,well if the car belongs to you did you give permission to allow for the self parking to be disabled.

How will all the parking aids be disabled effect the future of your car when you sell the car in the future.

Your car appears to be non compliant of the Construction and use regulations prior to removal of self parking options.

As I read it, Shaun B is advising that the parking assist features have not been disabled, and are as originally delivered. Perhaps he will confirm.

I think that while it's clear that this feature has been removed from new cars, there's no concrete evidence that it was disabled on cars after they were delivered to customer - correct?

What?

I recently purchased an E Class and discovered the parktronic had been disabled as the earlier owner reported. Today MB Exeter my dealer quoted party line with no clear date when the system will be enabled. For sure I am disappointed as this was a key feature in my choosing this car🙁🙁

My understanding is that the system will not be enabled at a later date as the hardware fitted does not comply with the EU regulations for such systems.
Perhaps the UK could ditch the EU regulations but I feel that's highly unlikely. Even more unlikely is that MB would just for it's UK models

I have both active parking and remote parking on my Hyundai. They work a treat. Only ever used them once, mind.... the novelty wears off very quickly. That said, I can see why owners are upset at how MB mishandled the situation and turned this into a fiasco.

My understanding is that the system will not be enabled at a later date as the hardware fitted does not comply with the EU regulations for such systems.
Perhaps the UK could ditch the EU regulations but I feel that's highly unlikely. Even more unlikely is that MB would just for it's UK models

It's really a bizarre decision. All MB needed to do was restrict the speed while auto-parking. It's a software tweek, why was it deemed more complicated than disabling the feature altogether (which is just a different software tweek) is anyone's guess.

It's really a bizarre decision. All MB needed to do was restrict the speed while auto-parking. It's a software tweek, why was it deemed more complicated than disabling the feature altogether (which is just a different software tweek) is anyone's guess.
No idea but I thought the sensors used in these MB systems were not of the required specification to comply with the UN regs. Sensors used in other MB models (S class?) were ... Explains why the system will not be re-enabled at a later date?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom